TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's going to take multiple years of above average rainfall to replenish the aquifers that the Central Valley has drawn down to flood irrigate their thirsty crops like cotton, rice and almonds.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
and it's going to take recognition that we live in a unequally distributed state, where the ever-growing population (with equally growing demand) is located at the opposite end from the majority of the water supply.

conservation methods have kept individual use requirements less than before, but as the number of users goes up... people have railed against "the government in my toilet" but those "silly regulations" have reduced personal water consumption to rates equal to 40+ years ago.

we live in a dry state and as the famous saying goes: whiskey's for drinkin', but water... now thats for fightin'!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thank God we still have big rivers and valleys to dam up.
The entire Merced river watershed including Yosemite valley, the San Joaquin River drainage, the Kern river drainage, and the Tuolumne river drainage including Hetch Hetchy valley...oh wait that's already been done.
So I guess that's one less dam we have to make.

·
Registered
19,794 Posts
And don't forget to sustain California's agricultural productivity the Central Valley needs a large surplus of fresh water to flush existing salt accumulations from arable irrigated lands that is not soon forthcoming. This has been an unresolved demand on limited freshwater reserves for decades. More people, less water, less yet more expensive food continue to create challenges for politicians hoping to remain in office.

·
Registered
7,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank God we still have big rivers and valleys to dam up.
T
There is also the Round Valley by Covelo, Calif. That would make a nice big reservoir -- the Calvary might have to be sent it to move the Indian out if they don't go peaceably. A big dam was also planned for the Middle Fork of the American River though I think it has been put on hold.

I love a good drought! Warm, sunny weather. Long days of riding my TW endlessly about. It is all this precipitation that is screwing things up. Oh well, maybe next year the drought will be back.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here's an interesting page that shows how our recent drought has affected water use broken down by water districts.

I love a good drought! Warm, sunny weather. Long days of riding my TW endlessly about. It is all this precipitation that is screwing things up.
I won't go so far as to say I like a drought, but I do like warm, sunny weather.

We just had 5" in the Santa Ana Mts. and that'll keep the gates to the National Forest closed for weeks.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
There's pretty cool experimention going on especially now with all the run off of recharging the aquifers by flooding the fields. Some almond farmers are probably profiting by agreeing to have their fields flooded. They will be compensated if there is damage. Catalina daughter is a hydrologist actually a ground water modeler. While at UCDavis working on her doctorate they were running large scale ground water models of the whole central valley. Kinda of a fantasy if you ask me but what the heck. The weather in the drought was kinda nice but it is really nice to see the record snow pack in parts of the sierras.

Groundwater law, winter rain trigger flood of aquifer-recharge experiments around California ? The Mercury News

Here's a better article.

https://earthzine.org/2016/02/23/recharging-californias-diminishing-aquifers/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts