TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am currently planning a motorcycle trip to the tip of Baja, Mexico next year. I was originally planning on buying my friend's KLR650 and traveling mostly on paved roads, including highways. However, I am now thinking about taking my TDUB on a dual sport adventure instead. I am in central New Mexico. So, I can take the NMBDR to the New Mexico/Arizona border. I was hoping someone could help me find a good route across Arizona to get to Baja California. A route with many scenic dirt roads would be preferable. Let me know what you think. Cheers!

Talon

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
Hi All,

I am currently planning a motorcycle trip to the tip of Baja, Mexico next year. I was originally planning on buying my friend's KLR650 and traveling mostly on paved roads, including highways. However, I am now thinking about taking my TDUB on a dual sport adventure instead. I am in central New Mexico. So, I can take the NMBDR to the New Mexico/Arizona border. I was hoping someone could help me find a good route across Arizona to get to Baja California. A route with many scenic dirt roads would be preferable. Let me know what you think. Cheers!

Talon
Contact Rhodetrip, he and his wife have been there a couple times and very recently on their TW's.

Here is a thread and towards the end of the thread is their latest trip into Mexico in the Baja Mexico region I believe.

They have mentioned the border crossing(s) they use and the documentation needed.

Me & Mrs Trip we got a thing going on | Page 37 | Adventure Rider

I should also say Rhodetrip is a member on this forum and have posted some of their trips here but I think the best thread they have is on Advrider.com in the link above.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I live in Socorro and am familiar with those places. I can Jump on the NMBDR just a few miles to the south at HWY 380. I have already driven a small section of it down to Truth or Consequences. From there, the NMBDR goes across the Gila Wilderness almost all the way the the NM/AZ border, about 50 miles south of Springerville. It looks like there there are some dirt road options to get across the state, but I definitely want some advice from locals or someone who has done this. Thanks again!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Contact Rhodetrip, he and his wife have been there a couple times and very recently on their TW's.

Here is a thread and towards the end of the thread is their latest trip into Mexico in the Baja Mexico region I believe.

They have mentioned the border crossing(s) they use and the documentation needed.

Me & Mrs Trip we got a thing going on | Page 37 | Adventure Rider

I should also say Rhodetrip is a member on this forum and have posted some of their trips here but I think the best thread they have is on Advrider.com in the link above.
Thanks!! I have seen his posts before. I will definitely talk to him.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
When are you going? And do you want some company? My wife won’t go but I’ve been wanting to do a trip down there. I was going to see if one of my daughters would go with me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When are you going? And do you want some company? My wife won’t go but I’ve been wanting to do a trip down there. I was going to see if one of my daughters would go with me.
We are planning on going next April or May. Nothing is set in stone yet. As I said, I was originally planning on taking a KLR, but now I am thinking about taking the Tdub. I will keep you in the loop if you are interested.

Talon

·
Registered
263 Posts
Not to horn in here, maybe I need to start a new thread. But I'd be up for something like this this winter, call it Extended Quartszite. To busy now to plan anything, but always good to throw some ideas out there.
Do you think your wife might go along for support Tweaker? (And the occasional ride.) Might be able to talk mine into something like that.
If we rode, say, 50- 100 miles a day, (trying to coin a new tw phrase here) at 75% of - Fred/Admiral speeds, and the trucks and campers met us at the end of the day??
Be fun to ride across southern Az for a week or two. Best weather might be mid oct thru end of feb?

·
Registered
19,404 Posts
Allanb, a moderate pace on moderate roads with chase vehicles featuring warm women and cold drinks sounds ideal. You might have just invented Adventure-Glamping, TW style.

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
Not to horn in here, maybe I need to start a new thread. But I'd be up for something like this this winter, call it Extended Quartszite. To busy now to plan anything, but always good to throw some ideas out there.
Do you think your wife might go along for support Tweaker? (And the occasional ride.) Might be able to talk mine into something like that.
If we rode, say, 50- 100 miles a day, (trying to coin a new tw phrase here) at Non-- Fred/Admiral speeds, and the trucks and campers met us at the end of the day??
Be fun to ride across southern Az for a week or two. Best weather might be mid oct thru end of feb?
Me and Fred go to slow I know. :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
Exactly Fred! I was going to say "A Supported" trip, but didn't want to sound too decadent. Kind of like calling whoever might drive the camper rig , a shuttle bunny. Heck I wouldn't mind trading off, riding the bike one day, the camper the next.
Surprised you didn't bite Fred, at the newly coined, leisurely, safe, site seeing, dawdling, sane, old guy, etc, pace. The 75% ofFred/Admiral pace. At least Admiral bit :)

·
Registered
19,404 Posts
I must say I am intrigued by the whole wandering caravan with shuttle bunny concept. My darling wife and I have done similar just the two of us and dogs and a cat, but a group of humans sounds like a rather good idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts