TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've not found much of a need for a GPS until I bought my '08 TW200 a few months ago. It's easy to get lost on back roads!

My solution was to download the Android app Dual Sport Maps for my smartphone. That was the best $20 I've spent in a long time. The DSM app allows me to download off-road routes before heading out. It offers forest service road overlays, terrain overlays, and weather radar overlays to provide more detail.

Also, while riding it can automatically track the route I'm riding and then the route can be uploaded to a companion, free map-sharing site, appropriately named DualSportMaps.com. I really like this feature, because I can ride with some guys more knowledgeable of the area and then review the route when I come home, having absolutely no idea where I was when following.

Go to DualSportMaps and click on "Recent Maps" and then click on "TN:Little Frog to Big Frog" map and you'll see my latest effort. My smartphone tracked the route and then I uploaded the tracks to the website. Tracks can be color-coded to reflect difficulty. My cellphone battery died, so the final few miles of the track did not "record." You can see that I was in the "middle of nowhere" and without cell coverage, yet the GPS receiver in the smartphone never lost the GPS satellites. Cool!

Also, the developer is about to market a handlebar-mounted DSM remote that can control and charge the smartphone. Here's a YouTube video of his Yamaha WR250R with his cellphone mounted in an OtterBox and the prototype remote. With the DSM Remote I won't worry about the phone battery dying.

The accuracy of the Android app and my smartphone's GPS amazed me. The developer owns a Garmin Zumo but felt he could code a better product for us off-roaders. I think he has accomplished that and the product is still in its first year of development. Take a look.

·
Registered
130 Posts
That looks like a nice application. I use MotionX-GPS for the iphone. It's a whopping $1.99 and worth every penny. It's also a poor man's Spot. It will send position updates on demand or on a periodic schedule to email addresses, facebook or twitter (as long as you have cell signal).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm really keen on the DSM Remote control device. With it I'll be able to mark waypoints with a tap of the joystick, e.g. water crossings, terrain changes, and scenic overlooks...without stopping. Also, manipulating his app running on any Android device that has a GPS will be possible, even large screen tablets.

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
TWiumph,

When you lost cell coverage, were you still able to see where you were going with the GPS receiver part?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TWiumph, When you lost cell coverage, were you still able to see where you were going with the GPS receiver part?

Yes.

The DualSportMap (DSM) app allows maps and overlays to be downloaded when you have cell coverage. Once in the "woods" and out of cell range, the phone's GPS is still working and displaying my position on the downloaded maps, and still tracking my route.

The DSM app and the DSM website have rather extensive threads on the WR250R Forum and ADVRider Forum..

It's amazing stuff and will steadily get better.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... I use MotionX-GPS for the iPhone. It's a whopping $1.99 and worth every penny. It's also a poor man's Spot. It will send position updates on demand or on a periodic schedule to email addresses, facebook or twitter (as long as you have cell signal).

The DSM Android app is also a "poor man's" SPOT, but that function only works while you are within cell range. The nice thing about the DSM version is that your friends can follow you from home and your riding buddies can, too. So, if you get separated from your buddies, you will be able to see them on "radar" so to speak, while still on your bike!

I've barely touched on the features of Dual Sport Maps the app. The nice thing about adopting DSM today is that I can "grow" with the app as the developer adds more and more features.

Admittedly $20 is more than $1.99, but still about $500 less than a Zumo. The developer's logic was to price the app high enough to discourage "fly by" negative reviews. For $20 the buyer will be more motivated to properly evaluate the app before posting ill-informed criticism, which can really damage (unfairly) a "young" app.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Cool, I'll check it out. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for the heads up..I might just have to stop being such a cheap-a$$ and pony up the $20. I have tried almost all the navigation apps on the market, and they all seem to be lacking. I am currently using mytrails, which isn't too bad, but dual sport maps has some pretty cool features. The HUD is pretty cool.

*Bonus* This app was developed by an advrider inmate, so plenty of online support for it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The app is a little slim on documentation, so be forewarned, you should watch the videos that exist on the Dual Sport Maps.com site behind the "Support" button and the YouTube Videos posted for the Android app.

Trust me, the time invested will be well worth it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I got the crowbar out and pried open my wallet. First impressions are good, but I need to do some further xplorin to get a good handle on it. The price at $20 is pretty spendy, but I decided I was purchasing continued support and development rather than just another hiking map. I just really like the fact that this app was developed by a fellow inmate, who actually has seat time on a bike, rather than some geeky kid in his basement.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...First impressions are good, but I need to do some further xplorin to get a good handle on it.

NF,

What cell phone do you have?

Mine is an HTC Incredible running 2.3.4. I'm considering the Casio G'zOne Commando for my next upgrade because it is more rugged, although the Incredible has performed well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
NF,

What cell phone do you have?

Mine is an HTC Incredible running 2.3.4. I'm considering the Casio G'zOne Commando for my next upgrade because it is more rugged, although the Incredible has performed well.

I currently have the EVO. I am probably going to upgrade soon, and use my evo as a dedicated gps/music/camera.

The commando is the only milspec smartphone I know of, but the engine of it is pretty outdated at 800mhz. There are a lot of rugged case manufacturers out there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...I am probably going to upgrade soon, and use my evo as a dedicated gps/music/camera.

That's a good plan, NF. One of the intriguing aspects of the $20 Dual Sport Maps Android app is that it can "re-purpose" an old phone or tablet and turn it into a standalone GPS/tracking device. There are a lot of cheap Android tablets with a built-in GPS and large displays that would be really easy to view mounted inside the map pocket of a tank bag or inside a protective cover like this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts