TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and just learning my way around this site. Just got a new 2017. Is there a certain place to look for any planned rides or to be planned? I'm located in the San Francisco Bay Area. Thanks

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Howdy and a big welcome to our new member TW200.
While there are no formal rides scheduled within this forum some of us occasionally organise an informal get together and we will try to keep you in mind. Check the forum occasionally for announcements as the weather and temps increase. Or organise your own group ride and invite us to join you. That is what I have done in the past and it has been lots of fun to meet new friends that way.
How advanced are your off-road riding skills?

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
LOL, how advanced are your off road skills......:p. Sounds like Fred is looking for another unsuspecting rider to join our "easy" sierra Nevada rides. The scenery is breathtaking and the riding is great fun. Lets start the newbie off in that little known trail called "the Rubicon"......Hey Fred, have a new to me small camper to tow behind my dodge. No more covered wagon tent.......:)

·
Registered
3,366 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've always wondered why they call SanFran nor-cal and not the middle. I guess it's like calling everything two states from the Atlantic the West.

I'm down for the easy ride in the rubicon.

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
I still say someplace like the Sierra Buttes and Gold Lake Basin region would make a good group ride destination come summer. All sorts of terrain options abound from rocky first gear stuff, some of the steepest old mining roads imaginable, smooth graded roads, twisty tarmac, fire lookout towers,dozens of pristene alpine lakes, paved highways, isolated backwood roads, resorts, campgrounds, primative camping, etc.
This is a bit of a drive for most, but oh what a scenic drive!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EGpiqiXVssI

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
A bit closer, maybe three hours from the Bay Area, are numerous riding areas off HWY 20 beyond Nevada City. Smooth paved and graded dirt roads loop down to the Yuba through historic gold towns and climb to northern ridgeline near Graniteville, Bowman Lake, Malakov hydraulic diggings making big very easy loops. The nearby Chalk Bluffs and Burlington ridge boast of 100 miles of trails, many singletrack trails pioneered by '49ers in search of gold...some are easy, other more modern singletracks carved by dirt bikes can be incised and a bit boring on a TW.
Here is a taste of some of the more reasonable riding:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hDGTXiSjHss

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
The paved roads dropping into the canyons are twisty, scenic and lightly traveled.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk1v8fOdhso&itct=CBAQpDAYASITCMPusLe3wtMCFRCvqgodYbgCaTIGcmVsbWZ1SMu9jKXi6-SYhAE=
Rougher riding can be tackled once down along the Yuba, or avoided.:rolleyes:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ts9CT55AydE&itct=CAgQpDAYCSITCKWRuL68wtMCFUVyqgodecwLWjIGcmVsbWZ1SMu9jKXi6-SYhAE=

Of course there have been excellant riding closer to NorCal bases put on by Mhomadness and Joemama in coastal redwoods and Clear Lakes chapparel terrains. I just tossed out these more Sierra based destinations as options to see and ride places a bit different.

Any Sierra destinations this year will have the uncertainty of late snow cover and possible closures due to washouts from heavy storms and snow run-off. Maybe sticking to major by-ways like this one from Washington to Graniteville might be the safer, easier route.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6wZVEazi_8&itct=CAcQpDAYCiITCKzf39--wtMCFVdXqgodWiEGYTIGcmVsbWZ1SMu9jKXi6-SYhAE=

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
oh I'll probably still use the covered wagon tent when doing some remote camping. Setting it up is abit of a hassle when u really just want to open that cold beer and BS with the gang instead of wrestling with poles and trying to remember how it goes together. so anyone thinking a planning a ride?? Fred? Joemama? Mr Gizmo? Mikeshouse of madness? anyone? anyone? Bueller?

·
Registered
968 Posts
A bit closer, maybe three hours from the Bay Area, are numerous riding areas off HWY 20 beyond Nevada City. Smooth paved and graded dirt roads loop down to the Yuba through historic gold towns and climb to northern ridgeline near Graniteville, Bowman Lake, Malakov hydraulic diggings making big very easy loops. The nearby Chalk Bluffs and Burlington ridge boast of 100 miles of trails, many singletrack trails pioneered by '49ers in search of gold...some are easy, other more modern singletracks carved by dirt bikes can be incised and a bit boring on a TW.
Here is a taste of some of the more reasonable riding:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hDGTXiSjHss
I've ridden my street bike to the little town of Washington off of the 20 many times - have never explored the dirt around that area. Someone told me there is a nice loop if you continue on thru Washington it turns to a dirt road that goes along the Yuba River and works it way back up to 20. A great day could be had out there. Ride the trails in the area for a few hours and then go to the Washington hotel for lunch. They have a full menu Weds - Sun and a nice deck overlooking the river. :cool:

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
so anyone thinking a planning a ride?? Fred? Joemama? Mr Gizmo? Mikeshouse of madness? anyone? anyone? Bueller?
You might get a chuckle out of my Moab 17 D4 Dellenbaugh Tunnel - Secret Spire video. In process of uploading so wait a bit but I think I'll get a smile outta ya!:D

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I don't have a ride in the works at this time, but with enough interest and a little encouragement we could make it happen.
Find the lake; attempt 3.

I recall you guys saying someone had a flat and you worked your way back to camp, on a previous trip.

And last year, we also never got to have lunch by the lake; although a helluva ride up to the top area. Maybe next year if it's too soon.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I don't have a ride in the works at this time, but with enough interest and a little encouragement we could make it happen. Pilsbury, Hull Mt. Game reserve loop?
Yes! Encouragement & interest reporting in sir! :icon_salut:

And an opportunity for all attending to get another exclusive & highly collectible Jomama's ride badge! :icon_thumbright::headbang::cool: m.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts