TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Dual Sport Test

4K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Olydog 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Ha!

I thought it was just going to be a test to see if you could pick it up (as at the end) off the ground after you dump it.

My TW passes, although I would wince a bit at kicking it over on purpose.

On edit: Is a KLR really that heavy? The uncensored "How to Pick Up A Motorcycle" video is hilarious!

#6 ·
An unfarkled KLR with a full tank weighs 410. Weighs about 1630 with arm pump. lol

I've lifted them a few thousand times

#4 ·
Don't know about you guys, but I'm not 100% sure the mirrors and what not would stand up to that fall...over all probably pass..lol

#5 ·
I just wasted enjoyed 15 minutes watching this guy's other videos. He is awesome!

While I haven't kicked my TW over, my wife managed to drop it twice and I lost it once while loading onto my truck. The brake lever didn't make it, and neither did the right rear turn signal.

#7 ·
This just triggered a question for me, can you guys recommed a good set of Bark Busters for a TW that don't look stupid. I was looking at the ones on my WR's and they are either to long or just to big. Enduro Engineering are the one's I have now but figured I'd ask the team for the best recommendation for the TW.

Thanks

Frank

#10 ·
#14 ·
Oh Boy did that bring back memories. Years ago I was trail riding my trusty 600cc Matchless with some buddies in the Rockies. My matchless was bored .040 over with a 12 to one compression piston. (That's another story) Needless to say it was a tough kick to get it started even with the compression release. We had stopped for a break and a cigarette (remember those things?) and my "buddy" said "Hey, that thing sure looks like it's hard to start." "Do you mind if I try to kick it over?" And me being the agreeable type said "Sure go ahead!" And he did just what is depicted in the Video------Kicked it over. After the shock we all had a good laugh. I hadn't thought about that in years. Love this forum, makes me feel young again. --------Scotsman

#15 ·
These specs show the 2012 KLR at a mighty 430 lbs. That makes the XR650L Honda I sold in order to buy my TW look light at 330 lbs. 100 lbs. extra is a lot of weight on a bike.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-specifications.aspx?id=559

I think that any bike over 280 lbs. is too heavy for anything rough and for anything real rough you need a bike that weighs 220 lbs. or less and for real real rough a new trials bike at 180 lbs. or less. It is all a compromise as you can't even sit down on the new trials bikes. The TW200 is a great dual purpose bike in that it is under 280 lbs, has a low 1st gear, nice fat tires, fair clearance, and handles well at slow speeds. I can also carry lots of gear on my TW racks as well as a passenger. However, when it is just me and the trail gets real rough then my choice is my geared down Honda Reflex because that 80 lbs. less weight really instills the confidence. However, it is a one person bike with no room for a passenger. And, the jury is still out when it comes to real soft surfaces such as mud and those big TW tires get a work out.

The KLR is basically a nice clean simple single cylindar road bike with some minimally rough off road capability. The XR650L is also nice clean and simple with much greater off road capability than the KLR and not quite as capable on the road but still too heavy - and you know that for sure when you get in trouble such as stuck in mud.

Anyway - all the above is only my opinion. I'm glad I have both a TW and a Reflex. It is interesting that they are both 200cc bikes and the Reflex has a small venturi carb., yet the TW gets better gas mileage. The Reflex with it's 6 speed transmission(a fully street legal trials bike)was only sold in 86 and 87 but may have had a longer life if it came with a more comfortable seat.

Dan

#16 ·
If you look at some of this guys more recent stuff he later replaced his KLR with......another KLR.

The bike he's kicking so disrespectfully is a second gen KLR. They weighed 410 with 6.2 gallons on board.

430 seems light for a third gen, but it's probably in the ballpark.

They've changed the bike 3 times since 1984 and each time it gained a minimum of 20 pounds.

Progress

Which is another reason to be careful what you wish for when hoping that the factory will "update" the TW.

#17 ·
I moved up from the TW200 to a KLR650. Each has its place. For two up , commuting, longer trips, and a little more power the KLR is a nice upgrade in a thumper.

My plan all along has been to have the family ride. When I bought the KLR, my wife moved on to the Tw200.

The first two steps are accomplished. Next is to have her move up to the KLR and my son start riding the TW200. Now what will I ride? Got it covered:

KLR2 is already in the garage.

For the tight goat trails the TW200 outshines them all. I love tossing it around on the steep climbs and tight switchbacks. The TW200 rules the trails. It is not as good on the highway , but gets by ok.

I heard once that the KLR does nothing very well, but does everything pretty good. Kind of a swiss army knife of bikes. It will do the trails if you are big enough to toss all that weight around. Tight stuff gets tiresome quickly and you wish you had a lower gear. The highway stuff it does pretty good. Cruising 70 mph gets sort of buzzy, but it works pretty good. The fuel range is fantastic. Nice to have 6 gallons fuel range.

I can't wait for the day my whole plan comes together and we can get all three out there together. We are getting there. Baby steps

#19 ·
I agree. I do see the point. Don't own a jewel so nice that you are afraid to take it offroad and enjoy it. If it is so "shiny" that you fear laying it down and won't ride trails, a street bike may be a better investment. My wife has dumped the TW200 a couple times. In the dirt while learning. Soft drops and no injuries to her or the bike. Hand-guards and the Cyclerack saved any damage.

With the right accessories you can minimize damages. Don't be afraid to ride them as there were designed to be ridden.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.