TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Tee-Dubs that I picked up several months ago, both 2003s in near perfect shape, and each had only 250 miles on them. I bought two so I could take another person with me and teach my wife and 13 year-old boy how to ride. I decided to go to the dark side by putting a 52 tooth rear sprocket on one and a 55 tooth on the other (for those learning). Since I do some in-town street riding, I'd like to try doing a dual sprocket using my TW with the 52 tooth and add a 48 tooth. It seems like a simple job, but just wanted to get some tips from the experts in this forum, such as what to use for proper spacing for the chain, whether a recessed sprocket is required, safety concerns, and whether or not I need to get new hardware (nuts & bolts). I've seen several posts on dual sprockets with pics, but haven't seen a step-by-step guide. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
13,718 Posts
I have two Tee-Dubs that I picked up several months ago, both 2003s in near perfect shape, and each had only 250 miles on them. I bought two so I could take another person with me and teach my wife and 13 year-old boy how to ride. I decided to go to the dark side by putting a 52 tooth rear sprocket on one and a 55 tooth on the other (for those learning). Since I do some in-town street riding, I'd like to try doing a dual sprocket using my TW with the 52 tooth and add a 48 tooth. It seems like a simple job, but just wanted to get some tips from the experts in this forum, such as what to use for proper spacing for the chain, whether a recessed sprocket is required, safety concerns, and whether or not I need to get new hardware (nuts & bolts). I've seen several posts on dual sprockets with pics, but haven't seen a step-by-step guide. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

When I did mine...

There will be some trial and error no matter what so expect that.

I used 1 non-recessed and 1 recessed sprocket. I placed the recessed sprocket went over the hub inward if you will. The non-recessed sprocket was my outboard sprocket.

I used nuts as spacers between the sprockets. As far as bolts go, I just went to the hardware store and bought some long enough to go all the way through with a washer & lock washer +nut. You'll see I changed the direction of the bolts in the pictures below with the nut on the inside. This was for clearance with the swingarm and chain guard.

At first, I used an o-ring chain but my clearance between sprockets wasn't enough and the chain rubbed on the larger sprocket when mounted on the smaller sprocket. I changed to a standard chain (non-o-ring).

My outer sprocket rubbed the chain guard so I removed it and bent in the guard mount. Figured I could always bend the and remount the chain guard if needed.

Pictures below will explain some more things.

In the end, I stopped using a dual sprocket for a few different reasons.

1. I only ever changed to a different sprocket one (1) time while out on a ride from 50T to 55T.

2. Pre-mature sprocket wear. Both rear sprockets will be off-center of the front sprocket slightly. I notice a little more wear from the front sprocket. (I never checked or don't remember the chain itself having any pre-mature wear but it would be wise to watch it).

3. I found that I liked the 14/55T sprocket for my overall compromise. I could ride out on the highway at 55-60 with the 55T and it was much better on the trails than 14/50.

I had no safety concerns other than the sprocket wear I mentioned above.

Started with an o-ring chain but changed it due to rubbing. Picture is mostly for reference.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Solid post, Admiral.

Question: How quick is it to switch chain to another sprocket? I'm assuming one has to loosen back wheel and adjust chain tension?

·
Registered
13,718 Posts
Solid post, Admiral.

Question: How quick is it to switch chain to another sprocket? I'm assuming one has to loosen back wheel and adjust chain tension?
Took me about 5 minutes and yes loosen and adjust-retighten. I used the tools from the onboard tool kit (and nearby rock) to move the adjusters. I was using the 50T and we went down a very steep road to a river. I was worried that I would stall on our way out in a couple really steep rocky sections which is why I changed it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
In your estimation, would this setup work w/ stock and a 60T for the Duro?

I would imagine I'd have to remove/add chain links at that point?

How do you feel a 55t would work for Duro vs 60?

·
Registered
13,718 Posts
Forgot to include this in my first post. This is what the sprocket looked like when I replaced it. All of my sprockets have had similar "wear marks" as seen but this one the marks from the chain went deeper. I believe this was because of the offset rear sprockets and the chain not lining up exactly.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Took me about 5 minutes and yes loosen and adjust-retighten. I used the tools from the onboard tool kit (and nearby rock) to move the adjusters. I was using the 50T and we went down a very steep road to a river. I was worried that I would stall on our way out in a couple really steep rocky sections which is why I changed it.
Do you have a small torque wrench? Just tighten really tight and then torque to spec later?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Admiral, your post was the most helpful of any I have seen! Thank you so much for taking the time to go through all the detail. I am thinking about doing a 14T front with 47T and 52T dual rear on one of my Tee dubs. 52T is awesome, but have been doing a lot of road riding and wouldn't mind lower RPMs at 50mph. I am leaving the 14T/55T on my other one. Just curious how many miles you had on your front sprocket with that wear on it.

Thanks!

-TewDub

·
Registered
13,718 Posts
Admiral, your post was the most helpful of any I have seen! Thank you so much for taking the time to go through all the detail. I am thinking about doing a 14T front with 47T and 52T dual rear on one of my Tee dubs. 52T is awesome, but have been doing a lot of road riding and wouldn't mind lower RPMs at 50mph. I am leaving the 14T/55T on my other one. Just curious how many miles you had on your front sprocket with that wear on it.

Thanks!

-TewDub
Thanks for the compliment but I just followed in the footsteps of others. I may have got a little more creative using the red arrows though.

Honestly, I don't remember how many miles on the front sprocket. It was 2-3 maybe even 4 years ago. Sorry, my rememory fails me.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
if your memory is starting to fail you maybe it is time to R.....;)

Reactions: admiral
1 - 12 of 12 Posts