TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DSCF0018.JPG
So here is my latest mode of transportation for the next little while. I had a complete left knee replacement on March 26th. I saw the surgeon last October after waiting 9 months for the appointment and he put me on the waiting list and I got the call early March. The wait is usually much,much longer here but our provincial government decided to dump some money last fall into hip and knee surgeries to help shorten the wait time closer to the national average and I and I was lucky to have benefited by getting in a lot sooner than expected. The normal wait here was closer to 2-3 years.
So I am 12 days post op already and although this isn't going to be a "cake walk" I am improving every day. The Doc has banned me from driving anything for 6 weeks so I imagine I will be looking forward to be able to just drive my truck by then. I have no idea how long before I can get out for a run on a motorcycle but I will cross that bridge as soon as possible. I have been dealing with this injury and the growing limitations it has imposed upon me for over 42 years now and am looking forward to the increased mobility this procedure will bring me. Between spending a month on the road last summer touring around NFLD and dealing with the bum leg I probably didn't put more than 3000 kms on the Strom, DR and TW last season. I have some serious catching up to do!!:D

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Congrats on the new knee, Dubster!

I had my right one replaced in December, 2016. The pain and crunchiness of the old one were gone immediately, and the rehab wasn't bad at all. I rarely even give it a second thought these days. It clicks a little, is a little lumpier than my other knee and still feels a little wooden from the nerves that were cut, but I am extremely glad that I had it done.

Best of luck with yours,

Brian

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Get well. 6 weeks will fly by if you take a lot of naps. Your fireplace is neat.

I've had 3 knee ops (no replacement), 2 of them being ruptured patella tendon/ligament repairs on each knee 10 years apart for a total of 1 year of downtime. I wasn't even able to start physical therapy until 6 months of healing had past. I would have been elated with 6 weeks.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Make sure you do all the prescribed physical therapy. It's too easy to ignore it. Has as much to do with your recovery than the actual surgery itself.

·
Super Moderator
17,937 Posts
Prayin for a quick recovery, then some awesome bike riding for you!!! :p

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wish you not only a speedy recovery but restoration of mobility you have been denied for what sounds like many a year. Getting better every day must be a joy.
Thanks Fred and everyone for the well wishes and encouragement.
I had to give up skiing,skating and water-skiing fairly soon after the injury. I tried to continue but the repercussions weren't worth the effort. My hunting and fishing slowly evolved from chasing game and hiking into the hotspots to sitting in trees, driving the backroads (we call it "heater hunting" lol) and 4 wheel driving to accessible lakes. I've worn just about every kind of brace made over the years and hopefully will be done with them after this....at least on this leg. My surgeon says my right leg qualifies for a Partial replacement. That one is wearing out because it's been favoring the left all these years. He prescribed a new "unloader brace" for that knee and it has been working wonders so far.
The injury hasn't impaired the motorcycling a whole lot until just lately....but I haven't ridden, and don't expect to, like when I was a crazy teenager on my then 250 Elsinor.
I don't expect miracles but just hope to be able to wander farther without the pain.:D

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great news on the knee. I'm sure you'll be riding soon. I like the bags you have on your bike. What kind are they? Those logos make your bike look like it's from the military, cool.
Ken those are the OEM bags that came stock on my V-Strom. I had installed better panniers on the Strom and they were gathering dust in my garage so I re-purposed them when I got the TW. Not sure just who right now but a fellow member on this forum custom made those decals for me.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I had my left knee replace in 07, with plans for the right knee asap afterwards. Asap hasn't happened yet. Just can't find the time to be laid up. Godd Luck with your rehab. In the log run you will be happy you had it done.
Thanks Joe
Doc says the right qualifies for a partial. Not long after the original injury a surgeon did an "exploratory". Sliced me open down both sides of the knee, fixed er up as good as he could, stitched me up and sent me home the very same day. The pain was intense to say the least and I remember saying "it will be a rainy day in hell before someone does that to me again. Fast forward 42 years and the rainy day arrived. So far the pain doesn't seem to be as bad but let me tell you I am in no hurry to get the other one done anytime soon.
I haven't spoken to anyone yet that regretted their decision to have knee replacement.
Good luck with the right when the time comes.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hope you recover quickly. Was it an injury or more of a wear over time need for replacement?

That’s a sweet wood stove setup. Cheers
Thanks Badger
I'd say a bit of both but I'm pretty sure without the injury both my knees would be in better shape.
Years ago when I was fresh out of high school I was working in a lumber yard and got pinned between two forklifts and it's been downhill since then.

Nothing much beats some good hardwood blazing away in the old wood stove on a cold northern winter night!!:D

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey y'all.
I haven't been around much these days but do pop by every now and then. It's been 15 months since my left knee replacement and I have had a complete and successful recovery. It has been a life changing event for me . I am enjoying the increased mobility and been busy doing things I haven't been able to do in years. Even my right leg is feeling better because the left is now carrying its own weight although I still wear the brace on the right when needed. I sold the 02TW and the CT90 and bought a bike I would never have considered buying in probably the last 10yrs. Mint 98 Honda Valkryie. The thing is ridiculously fast yet handles pretty damn good for a 700 plus lb beast plus it seats me in the "standard" position. My back is happy and so am I. This getting old isn't so bad so long as you can get a rebuild every now and then!! Sometimes I think I waited until my 60's to have a mid life crisis! LOL I hope everyone is well and enjoying the ride....whatever it may be.:D
Valkyrie.jpg Big Val.jpg

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Congrats on the new bike and glad to hear your knee is in good shape. I take it you are now on the Valkryie forum. My former neighbour of 20 years has one and loves it and he got the iron but award for riding his Valkryie from Maple Ridge to Florida for an annual Valkryie get together.
I have ridden with him and find I need to stay well behind him due to the Noise and Smell.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Glad to hear from you. I'm glad all is going well. I still have my tdub but I have a 2002 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 added to my stable now. It is much better for the freeway.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Congrats on the new bike and glad to hear your knee is in good shape. I take it you are now on the Valkryie forum. My former neighbour of 20 years has one and loves it and he got the iron but award for riding his Valkryie from Maple Ridge to Florida for an annual Valkryie get together.
I have ridden with him and find I need to stay well behind him due to the Noise and Smell.
Your neighbor must have an aftermarket exhaust on has Valkyrie. I love the power but have absolutely no desire to get an obnoxiously loud exhaust. Mine is stock and IMO that big 6 cyl has the best sounding factory pipes Ive ever heard. Mine stinks when Idling cold with the choke on but seems to be fine once warmed up.....at least no one has complained yet. Perhaps he needs a carb sync.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts