TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do the TAT one day, but this video is the perfect example of why it - or any rough off-road riding - needs to be done with a buddy.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Stumbled across that video a couple of years ago and did not know what to expect. At that 'oh shit' moment, as if I was riding that bike, I actually yelled out, "OH SHIT". That nightmarish moment needs to be given some thought and reckoned with. Having an adventure partner will certainly offer a whole range of valuable options should something go awry. Unfortunately finding a adventure partner when you want to go on an adventure is not always going to happen. Common sense and preparation is your best partner. All my standout adventure memories were done solo. Silly, perhaps, but for me, it seemed the only option....

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I kept asking myself, where's the other dude? I'm sure he was asking himself the same thing.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
That's scary.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That was one scary fall. I'm glad I watched it, because the way he got turned and accidentally blipped the throttle, I've done that before on accident, but thankfully I wasn't near a cliff. Good reminder for me to keep control of that front wheel and not to panic on the throttle when something unexpected happens.

edit: I just read the video comments and they are absolutely tragic. Here's what happened to the guy that crashed:

"My buddy didn't see me and passed by while I was down. He returned 10 minutes later to find me sitting on the road. We pressed 911 on my SPOT device, help came and I was taken to the hospital. Partially collapsed lung and bruised ribs was all they found. I am now fully healed. Amazingly, the bike was rolled along the lower ledge back to where it met the road. They got it started, rode it up the remaining trail and an additional 30 miles of highway to where it was stored. I tried to continue the ride 2 days later, but the bike had problems and I had to rent a truck to get me and my bike home to California. My buddy completed the rest fo the trip solo."

But then he goes on to say that is friend, the one that didn't crash in the video, had his own crash later on (I assume on a separate trip) and wound up paralyzed.

Ride careful, friends.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
.... Here's what happened to the guy that crashed:

"My buddy didn't see me and passed by while I was down. He returned 10 minutes later to find me sitting on the road. We pressed 911 on my SPOT device, help came and I was taken to the hospital. Partially collapsed lung and bruised ribs was all they found. I am now fully healed. Amazingly, the bike was rolled along the lower ledge back to where it met the road. They got it started, rode it up the remaining trail and an additional 30 miles of highway to where it was stored. I tried to continue the ride 2 days later, but the bike had problems and I had to rent a truck to get me and my bike home to California. My buddy completed the rest fo the trip solo."

But then he goes on to say that is friend, the one that didn't crash in the video, had his own crash later on (I assume on a separate trip) and wound up paralyzed.

Ride careful, friends.
WOW that is super sad! We all ride because we love the feeling. But we are all aware of the dangers. Things like this bring home how quickly something we love can go south. I hope his friend can eventually make a recovery - modern medicine can work miracles.

As for the rest of us... please stay safe!

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I spent more than 40 years riding trails and non trails in Oregon , Idaho, Washington , and Alaska. Mostly because of inability to find a partner willing to go where I went.
I crashed a lot but out of 20,000 miles on TWs only once. That crash broke my right leg and I wished I had a partner. I was in the Olympic mountains in a place where there was no cell phone service and an ambulance would have had a very hard time finding me. With my leg trapped under the TW, I pulled Against it and rotated my body until the toe was pointed in the correct direction again. It had been pointed backwards. I somehow got the bike upright on it's kickstand and painfully swung my leg over the saddle.
It really hurt to put it on the peg but I was able to ride out to where the trail met a jeep trail. I then rode 25 miles home and a friend put a plastic cast on my leg while I ate oxycodone. He took me to the hospital where I was X-rayed and told I had a broken leg. I told the dr. that was the reason I came to the E.R. He said that the bone was already reset and I would wear the cast for 5 or 6 weeks and he sent me home with more oxycodone.

·
Registered
435 Posts
That video teaches you to always carry your phone on your self not in a bag on your bike. Although you all are probably like me you ride usually where there is no signal. Texting works though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts