TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first post here...figured why not a ride report. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics from today. It was my cousin and I on our 2019 TW200s and my Uncle on his KTM 450. I put in 22 miles of pavement first to meet my cousin at his house, we then met up with my Uncle at his place a few miles away but headed up to the hills.

About 20 miles of gravel road and another 20 miles of pavement has us at the last gas station with about 65 miles on the counter. We all fill up and finally hit forest service roads after another 5 miles of black top. I'm running 18psi in the stock tires and wow do they feel squirrelly in the dirt/gravel! I somehow make it about 10 miles trying to keep up with my Uncle on his KTM before I lose it in the silt with double ruts in the road. Laid it down and scraped my left knee. After I get back up and get going again, I just kept it to a slow pace and everything was relatively OK. I let some air out of my tires after I met back up with them. Seemed to help a little but I could tell that it was still marbles on ice!

We put down another 20 miles of Forrest service roads without incident and then 30 miles of blacktop to get home. 130 miles was my count and man did that kill my rear! Front tire needs an upgrade, and the suspension is stiff in the back and soft yet harsh in the front...lol. Good day regardless!

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Welcome. That was a good ride for an introduction. I bet you'll have it up and going like you want really soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I've been riding to work and back every day for the last few weeks. I believe I have a tick over 400 miles on it now. Ready for its second "Break in" oil change! First was at 80 miles just to clean out the metal shavings.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hello, first post here...figured why not a ride report. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics from today. It was my cousin and I on our 2019 TW200s and my Uncle on his KTM 450. I put in 22 miles of pavement first to meet my cousin at his house, we then met up with my Uncle at his place a few miles away but headed up to the hills.

About 20 miles of gravel road and another 20 miles of pavement has us at the last gas station with about 65 miles on the counter. We all fill up and finally hit forest service roads after another 5 miles of black top. I'm running 18psi in the stock tires and wow do they feel squirrelly in the dirt/gravel! I somehow make it about 10 miles trying to keep up with my Uncle on his KTM before I lose it in the silt with double ruts in the road. Laid it down and scraped my left knee. After I get back up and get going again, I just kept it to a slow pace and everything was relatively OK. I let some air out of my tires after I met back up with them. Seemed to help a little but I could tell that it was still marbles on ice!

We put down another 20 miles of Forrest service roads without incident and then 30 miles of blacktop to get home. 130 miles was my count and man did that kill my rear! Front tire needs an upgrade, and the suspension is stiff in the back and soft yet harsh in the front...lol. Good day regardless!
And what did we learn ??? TWs are not serious dirt bikes, more like utility ATVs really . Down low and slow is my style these days but don't try hanging with serious dirt bikes (KTM Race Ready motto) LOL unless you like injuries...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, my uncle has been riding for probably 50 years. He's pretty good. It wasn't anything crazy where I laid it down, just a bad combination of silt, ruts, inexperience, speed (20mph?)and maybe not the best front tire or air pressure.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Yeah, my uncle has been riding for probably 50 years. He's pretty good. It wasn't anything crazy where I laid it down, just a bad combination of silt, ruts, inexperience, speed (20mph?)and maybe not the best front tire or air pressure.
Definitely the front tire contributed to the crash.

·
Super Moderator
4,881 Posts
The TW34 you have on the rear is about as good as it gets, both on the road, and in the dirt. The stock front however, is pretty much crap, and should be changed before it kills you – we call it “the death wing” – switch it out for a Shinko 241 ASAP

The suspension (or rather the lack of it), is largely balanced out by the size of the tires. Lower the pressure on the trails to around 12 psi, and you’ll find it easier – but on the road, you need to get them back up to at least 18 psi – there is no happy “medium” if you want a softer ride on the trails

We look at this bike as more of a “mule” than the “race horse” of the KTM that you were riding with – it’ll get you along trails the KTM would balk at, but at a slower pace – and that word “pace” is what you need to keep in mind. There’s no way in hades you’re going to keep up with KTM, and there’s no way the KTM is going to get into places the TW can take you to

By trying to do both things on both bikes, someone has to give way, and I’m guessing that has to do mostly with “pace”. Slow it down, and learn the bike

The rear shock “can” be tweaked, but it’s the front you can do the most with – another subject for another day

Welcome to the board …. ;)

·
Registered
19,580 Posts
The TWs seem to have a certain speed where everything seems peachy keen. Push faster than that and things like the suspension quickly seem overtaxed. Slowing to a more moderate pace restores the harmony between bike and rider. Suspension upgrades can be done but still will not put the TW in a class with Uncle on his KTM.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The TW34 you have on the rear is about as good as it gets, both on the road, and in the dirt. The stock front however, is pretty much crap, and should be changed before it kills you – we call it “the death wing” – switch it out for a Shinko 241 ASAP

The suspension (or rather the lack of it), is largely balanced out by the size of the tires. Lower the pressure on the trails to around 12 psi, and you’ll find it easier – but on the road, you need to get them back up to at least 18 psi – there is no happy “medium” if you want a softer ride on the trails

We look at this bike as more of a “mule” than the “race horse” of the KTM that you were riding with – it’ll get you along trails the KTM would balk at, but at a slower pace – and that word “pace” is what you need to keep in mind. There’s no way in hades you’re going to keep up with KTM, and there’s no way the KTM is going to get into places the TW can take you to

By trying to do both things on both bikes, someone has to give way, and I’m guessing that has to do mostly with “pace”. Slow it down, and learn the bike

The rear shock “can” be tweaked, but it’s the front you can do the most with – another subject for another day

Welcome to the board …. ;)
Purple,
May I ask, just what is wrong with the stock front tire that you call it the "Death Wing"? Does it not provide stabilization, traction, what? I've been riding now for well over 50 years, mostly on the street with varying bikes. I've had three TW's. I've not done much in the off road with a TW but, might get a tad more into it with my latest purchase, an '07. We'll see. I'm 66 and 245 lbs, so, I'm not in favor of damaging these old bones, if I can help it. But, the '07 we just bought, has only 582 miles on it and had been sitting for over 5 years when we bought it. So, I'm assuming it's got the original '07 tires on it. And, as most of us know, old rubber gets hard. So, you recommend the Shinko 241? Well, I just did some preliminary searching and, both on Revzilla and Amazon, I can find no Shinko 241 series 130/80 18 tire. I can find the Shinko in the 700 series in the 130/18 though.
Scott

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Shinko 241 size is 4.00-18. I was considering the Bridgestone TW52 in 4.60-18. Shinko 241 seems to be the favorite by a lot. Seems to be a fine line riding the tw200. TW guys all say slow down, my Uncle and Cousin are telling me that I need to carry more momentum to get up hills so I don't have to spin the rear tire as much?

·
Registered
359 Posts
The Shinko 241 size is 4.00-18. I was considering the Bridgestone TW52 in 4.60-18. Shinko 241 seems to be the favorite by a lot. Seems to be a fine line riding the tw200. TW guys all say slow down, my Uncle and Cousin are telling me that I need to carry more momentum to get up hills so I don't have to spin the rear tire as much?
Hey DesertCJ,
Thank you for answering me. The TW we just bought is an '07 and has only 582 miles on it. But, those are the original tires and, being an '07, are over 12 years old. So, while they may work for general running around, I suspect that a new set of rubber on this bike will make it ride considerably better. Might have to order one of those Shinko's up. Now, to find out what most are using for the rear.

Scott

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pretty sure that most people stick with the stock Bridgestone tw34. There aren't a lot of options for that tire size. Some ATV tires, but they aren't generally DOT approved and they also come with mounting complications. I plan on sticking with the factory rear TW34.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Roger that Sir, very much appreciated.
Scott

·
Super Moderator
4,881 Posts
The problem with the death wing isn’t that it’s total crap, it’s that it’s unpredictable. It gives way without warning, and usually sideways. It seems happiest on tarmac, but anything looser and the tire becomes a liability – on grass or mud, the potential for sudden and complete lateral slip becomes very real

It’s all about eliminating risk. There’s a greater risk of getting hurt coming off a bike in your 60’s, so you ride very carefully. There’s a risk of cranial damage in a bike accident, so you wear a crash helmet. We wear gloves and suitable footwear for the same reason. We don’t do all that expecting it to happen, we do it in case it happens – to mitigate the risk as much as possible

The stock front tire is a “high risk” item, simply because of its unpredictability, and it’s a known weak point on these bikes. The Shinko 241 is far better, and for 50 bucks, a wise “precaution”

You come across as an eminently sensible rider - we all call the stock front the “Death Wing” simply because it’s an “increased risk” – why take that risk ? ….

·
Registered
241 Posts
The Shinko 244 is a good option, too. I have it on 2 of my bikes, and I really like the performance.

Yeah, get rid of the stock tire. It's crap, and very unpredictable. You'll notice the difference in dirt when you switch.
It's fine for the street, though.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The problem with the death wing isn’t that it’s total crap, it’s that it’s unpredictable. It gives way without warning, and usually sideways. It seems happiest on tarmac, but anything looser and the tire becomes a liability – on grass or mud, the potential for sudden and complete lateral slip becomes very real

It’s all about eliminating risk. There’s a greater risk of getting hurt coming off a bike in your 60’s, so you ride very carefully. There’s a risk of cranial damage in a bike accident, so you wear a crash helmet. We wear gloves and suitable footwear for the same reason. We don’t do all that expecting it to happen, we do it in case it happens – to mitigate the risk as much as possible

The stock front tire is a “high risk” item, simply because of its unpredictability, and it’s a known weak point on these bikes. The Shinko 241 is far better, and for 50 bucks, a wise “precaution”

You come across as an eminently sensible rider - we all call the stock front the “Death Wing” simply because it’s an “increased risk” – why take that risk ? ….
Well Sir,
Without a doubt, it appears you have the experience and knowledge about these sort of things so, can't argue there, not that I would even try. I'm kind of a practical person. As stated way earlier and on other threads here, we just acquired this '07 with 582 miles on it. And, based on basic time evolution and, some common sense and, the looks of things, it's got the stock front tire on it. But, it's TWELVE YEARS OLD and, as you say, it's not the best by any means. So, yeah, I'm gonna have to pry a bit more out of the piggy bank and order the Shinko up. I like new rubber, it always feels real nice right after it's installed, no matter what vehicle/motorcycle/motorhome etc. we have it done on. This by far, will be one of the cheapest tire replacements I've ever done.
Scott

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm sure "old rubber" exacerbates the front tire issue, but as others have advised, get rid of the "trail wing". It's an inexpensive upgrade and I can vouch for the 241 being leaps and bounds better than that old wing.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Michelin Tires two.jpg Michelin Tires one.jpg Montezuma Left/Hoot's Ol Blue on the right

A lot of "Tire Talk" is pretty much BS IMO...however the "Death Wing" does slip and slide around in gravel and dirt...a few years back before we headed to Moab 2015....Borneo {the Judge}, Montezuma, and I, all put the pictured Michelin T63s 130/80-18 on our rides....I never regretted it.....and have installed #2 on Ol' Blue....

But the choice is yours...if you plan on mostly Paved Roads, the Death Wing is fine.....and better than many options, but if you plan on Dual Sport off roading...I would switch it out....the Rear Tire is as good as it gets {also IMO}

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I started a thread specifically about the Bridgestone tw52 but no response so far. I guess it's not a very popular tire. I'm still considering it for the front...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts