TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Had the best Dumb Dan Day ever!! I rode my TW over to visit a friend who I call Moose Man. ( He sings and players a guitar for children and one of his songs is about a Moose). He is a devoted Christian and cyclist. He said he would pray for me that I don't get hit on the highway. Didn't think much of it. Put my helmet on and shouted "smell me later" and I rode off down his driveway. I'm going to make a left onto the county road. I look left and see a car coming with its headlights on approximately 200 yards away. I look right and I see nothing. I proceed across the road and notice another car like where did it come from? That feeling that you should be dead right now but your not. The feeling is very strange. It's not a good feeling. Would be difficult to explain in words. The first thing that came to mind was I'm lucky to be alive! The second thing that came to mind was the drivers that have pulled out in front of me on different occasions. In order to clarify this circumstance, there were two cars coming down the road. Car one had its lights on and car number two did not. For the life of me I didn't see car number two. I'll bet you dollars to donuts they were talking about me like I talk about other dim wits that have pulled out in front of me! It makes me think of Jesus' words, " he who has not sinned cast the first stone". Today is the first day of the rest of my life. Whooooo!! Hopefully Sue won't read this or I may need more prayer. Dirts a Flyen SanDue :rolleyes::D

Registered
Dayam!
Hate it when that happens...

Registered
i think the guy with his lights on was actually a disservice to you as after seeing those lights on, your brains thinks all cars have their lights on and you didn't see the second car without lights. or else your are just showing your age, bin there dun that!!

Registered
I'm confused. If car #1 had his lights on and HE didn't hit you, why would you worry about car #2 behind him? 200 yds. seems like plenty of room to turn left in front of him. Or was car #2 ahead of him? Or maybe it was a 4 lane?
I must say I did exactly the same thing a couple years ago, except I was on the 1200 GS and the guy was on a bicycle! :eek: I was able to stop in time and didn't hit him but I imagine he had to wash his shorts when he got home. I never saw him until he was about 10 feet away and swerving hard left just as I pulled out!

Where I turn left onto the county road I can see 200 yds. to the left but only about 70 to the right to a hump. I usually don't stop completely and I always look left first because I've had cars come flying over that hump at 50 in a 35 mph zone just after I make the turn and have to goose it hard. The 3.8 seconds 0 to 60 time of the 1200 comes in mighty handy sometimes!! :cool:

Are we getting old or what? :mad:

Registered
Glad you didn't get hit. That is definitely a terrifying but relieving feeling, but you made it and can be thankful.

Getting hit by a car sucks! I got hit a few years ago and got very lucky. Totaled my SV650, but I walked away with relatively minor injuries. You can never be too safe or careful ... or lucky :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts