TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Duro today. I have no idea how I am going to make this tire fit within the swingarm of my bike. Out of the box the tire looks 10 inches wide. I hope it shrinks a little when inflated. I am lost of the trimming of the bead.

Do you trim the bead to make the opening wider, ie. 13 3/4 to 14. Do you trim the outer edge of the tire to make it slip on or seat? Do you trim the inside part of the bead to make it easier to seat. There was a pic on the site but I coudl not make it out.

Please help before I destroy my only two tubes.

Thanks

Tom

2006 TW200

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Hi Miami,

What size Duro do you have?

My 26x8x14 is tight but fits within the swingarm okay. It also went on the rim without trimming the bead.

Brian

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tire is 26 x 8 x 14. Just looks huge and square. I am hoping that when I put air into it it gets taller and thinner. Just defies logic when it is sitting next to the old tire. I am on the fence about trimming. Do not want to get it half seated and then have to remove to trim it and then reseat it. Are you going tubeless or using a tube?

Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Hi Tom,

The Duro is huge and square compared to the stock tire. See photo below:

I am using a tube. I picked up a spare rear wheel for the Duro in case I didn't like it and wanted to switch back to stock. I took it to a Yamaha dealer on a Saturday morning. By the end of the day, they had gotten one side to seat. They left it pressurized over the weekend (Sunday & Monday) and the other side hadn't popped on by the time they came back on Tuesday. They left the wheel/tire out in the sun to warm up and it finally popped on.

I remember grinding off a bracket/tab on the swingarm (for the chainguard, I think), but I am not sure that this was absolutely necessary. Otherwise it bolted right up. I like the Duro and have never wanted to switch back. On pavement, it feels a little "gravelly" starting out, but once you get going you don't notice any difference in ride. The Duro is definitely square and requires a little extra effort to lean the bike over. It likes to go straight ahead.

Brian

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
The tire is 26 x 8 x 14. Just looks huge and square. I am hoping that when I put air into it it gets taller and thinner. Just defies logic when it is sitting next to the old tire. I am on the fence about trimming. Do not want to get it half seated and then have to remove to trim it and then reseat it. Are you going tubeless or using a tube?

Thanks

Tom

You need to be realistic abouit the possibility of having to dismount and trim the bead. Best case scenario is it will seat at a sane pressure without trimming. Only one weay to find out. There seem to be huge variations not only between brands but from tire to tire.

You need a tube.

The tire will crown once mounted on our narrower rims. The profile will be more curved than it is on the wider ATV rim, but not as curved as a true bike tire. You get used to it. I've got close to 2,000 miles on mine.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Lizrdbrth & TW-Brian,

I have that same Duro tire on order.

Does the stock tube fit?

Does the stock sprocket gearing work(14/50)?

Thanks.

jb

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Lizrdbrth & TW-Brian,

Does the stock tube fit?

Thanks.

jb

I'm running the Bighorn2. The stock tube is pretty much your only option. Automotive tubes have the valve stem oriented toward the outside of the rim.

You'll need to regear. Don't bother trying to get around it. A few days with a 14/50 will take out your clutch and you'll never see fifth gear.

I can't help you specifically because my tire's rolling circumference is slightly larger than yours. Use the gear calculator and your ACTUAL rolling diameter to get yourself back to stock rpm's, then add a tooth or two to compensate for the additional weight and rolling resistence of the tire, because thay are significant.

My 14/55 theoretically puts me at nearly the same rpm as with a stock tire, but with the extra weight and resistence the performance just isn't there. I didn't allow for the resistence, and really should be running a 57-58T. The 55 works fine overall, but it takes awhile for me to catch up with the S.O. on the highway. Recalculate accordingly if you're aiming for an offroad bias, but err toward the high side.

Expect a hit on mpg, too. Mine prolly cost me 10 mpg. But if your riding is truly 50/50 or more, you'l throw rocks at the stock tire.

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Lizrdbrth & TW-Brian,

Does the stock tube fit?

Thanks.

jb

Hi jb,

Yes, the stock tube will work fine.

I used the stock gearing for several months with no problems. I have since changed to 14/47 since most of my riding is on the street. Still using the stock length chain with no problems and plenty of room for adjustment.

Brian

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
...Still using the stock length chain with no problems and plenty of room for adjustment...
Thanks Lizrdbrth and Brian. I'm glad you added the info about the chain... that answered a question I forgot to ask. And Brian, thanks for the photos.

I currently am using the 14/47 sprockets but with the larger tire I was going to go back to the stock 14/50. Now I'll need to take Lizrdbrth's info into consideration.

jb

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. I ordered a 55 tooth rear to compensate for the larger tire. So far I am going to use the advice of several on the Board and friends that I have spoken to. Sounds crazy, I am going to let the tire heat up in the Florida sun. Use, wait for it, KY jelly and pressure up. If it does not work I will go for the trimming and start all over. Can not do try it until Monday..So I will keep you posted.

Thanks again

Tom

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Thanks Lizrdbrth and Brian. I'm glad you added the info about the chain... that answered a question I forgot to ask. And Brian, thanks for the photos.

I currently am using the 14/47 sprockets but with the larger tire I was going to go back to the stock 14/50. Now I'll need to take Lizrdbrth's info into consideration.

jb

Do the calcs once it's mounted, all these ATV tires have varying diameters. No Duro experience here, but I think JS5owner got away with the 50T and the Duro for quite some time before regearing, as Brian has. Mine wouldn't pull it, but even 1/4" height difference is significant when you only gots 13 hp.

I think the sorocket/speed calculator posted on the site may have been based on the TW204 rear, as it lists the stock tire diameter as 25.54". All my stock rears are pretty much right at 26". It's fairly important that you check actual tire heights. IIRC a 27" tall tire travels nearly 5" further on the ground in one rotation than a 26", so even slight height differences can affect rpm significantly.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You'll need to regear. Don't bother trying to get around it. A few days with a 14/50 will take out your clutch and you'll never see fifth gear.

What you are talking about? ...never see fifth gear? I have 26x9 rear tire and it revs to redline with fifth gear (100% stock engine). I have desided to go 14/47 for next season. Or is that Duro so much worse in rolling resistant...? Weird.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks for the info. I ordered a 55 tooth rear to compensate for the larger tire. So far I am going to use the advice of several on the Board and friends that I have spoken to. Sounds crazy, I am going to let the tire heat up in the Florida sun. Use, wait for it, KY jelly and pressure up. If it does not work I will go for the trimming and start all over. Can not do try it until Monday..So I will keep you posted.

Thanks again

Tom

Tom, Jeff (AKA JS5Owner) here... I've found the links to my old post regarding the Duro mounting and 55 tooth rear sprocket. You can read my story here: http://tw200forum.com/forums/72087/ShowPost.aspx and http://tw200forum.com/forums/85796/ShowPost.aspx

I love this combo and would not switch back. I can get my bike up to 55mph and occasionally bump into 60mph.

If I were mounting the Duro again I'd start with grinding down the edge of the bead, then with some grease on the tire, have the shop air it up.

Have fun,

Jeff

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am just confused on this trimming, grinding issue. Do you cut the entire bead down to enlarge the circumference or do you cut the edge either outer or inner.

Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Boring TW tire factoids, and what I found after changing to the Bighorn (your mileage may vary, so ta speak). I know we're discussing the Duro, but JS5owner reported that he "got his bike back" after installing a 55 with his Duro, and here's why I think it happened.:

A stock tire at 10 psi is over an inch shorter than one @ 21 psi. This is roughly equivalent to adding 3 rear sprocket teeth. As a baseline I use street pressures. We tend to take long road trips nearly as often as dirt trips. So if you're rolling an ATV tire at lower pressures or if the tire itself is close to stock in height at street pressures, good on ya. You probably won't notice much.

A half inch tire height increase over stock only costs you 136 RPM @ 60 mph with stock gearing.

Another half inch costs you 279 RPM.

The next one costs you 416.

By the next one you're down 546.

My tire is 1.5 inches over stock. For me 5th gear was practically a memory on the highway. Aired down things were wonderful, but I'm not into 10 psi @ 55 mph. Theoretically I needed a 53T sprocket to restore things. I went with a 55, yet I still have trouble pulling the S.O.'s stock bike in fifth gear at street pressures, and I've lost 10 mpg. The only change was the rear tire. The day after I installed it we went on a 500 mile pavement trip and I played catch up the entire time. Both bikes were roughly equal prior to the tire change.

My tire weighs over 21 pounds. That's about 7 pounds more than stock. The contact patch is easily double that of the stock tire, even at street pressures. Losses due to rolling resistence.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I am just confused on this trimming, grinding issue. Do you cut the entire bead down to enlarge the circumference or do you cut the edge either outer or inner.

Thanks

Tom

No, you don't cut the entire bead, just the outer edge to allow the bead to slip up and into the outer ridge of the wheel. My guy had this ball shaped grinder (that they use to scuff up the inside of a tire so a patch will stick) and just went to work on the edge. He did it several times before the tire decided to pop on. BTW, make sure the tire place has a "cage" or safe place. There have been reports of things blowing up.

Have fun...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got my tire mounted. Scared the crap out of me when the first bead popped. Took it to a little tire store in Miami, charged me $7.00 to mount it. Took two guys about half an hour, no trimming, just grease. Can not wait to put on the bike.

Tom

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Congratulations! I am glad that you did not experience any problems. Have fun with the Duro, it will attract a lot of attention.

Brian

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They joked, but I think were serious when they said not to come back if I switch the tire. I tipped them $13.00 since I had a twenty. I broke the bead at home and tried my stubbies to remove the old tire. It was not going to happen. Tried to mount it tonight but need a longer chain. Bike looks awesome with this tire.

Tom

1 - 20 of 28 Posts