TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I finally got around to showing Adam a nice single track I found last fall. We went to attempt it last December but solid snowpack at the trailhead quickly convinced us that descending it in snow would be unwise. The upper sandy granite terrain was nice but lower down we got into dusty silt with angular rock chunks. Rather steep and some sections I would not want to try going uphill. Here are a few clips from higher up.

We ended up down at the lake in the closing clip's background, then played around another 35 miles going to another fire lookout tower in the far distance before returning home for a cold beer. It was getting hot in the valley bottoms so we were a bit dehydrated.;)

·
Registered
13,324 Posts
When the forum hasn't heard from Fred for a while, you know he's usually out riding. For our enjoyment (and his) he was and could provide us with another couple neat videos. Adam must be used to you riding right off his six. I remember wondering why you rode so close to me which was making me nervous. Then you told me you were riding close to get me in the video. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fortunately Adam and I enjoy similar riding interest and styles.
Long experience with dusty conditions have evolved a tucked in wingman riding style where the trailing bike is close enough to see trail obstacles before they get obscured by boiling up dust from the lead bike, yet far enough in trail to allow leader instant use of full trail width. The trailing bike can see probable lines for both bikes and if attentive it is obvious when an upcoming obstacles might have the leader shift lanes. Trailing bike simply anticipates this and lags a bit. Lead bike tries a bit to hold his lane, but shouldn't try too hard. Lead's comfort, convenience and safety comes first and just like a good fighter pilot's wingman anticipates and accommodates. It seems actually safer than trail lagging back with partially obscured vision due to dust in air and on goggles.
I call it the Intelligent Wingman Style. Doesn't work on single tracks though.

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Was one of the few times I actually saw an Adventure Bike on an unpaved surface in person.
Actually three fully rigged oncoming BMWs I believe loomed out of the boiling dust on the Henness Pass Road (the remains of an original emigrant trail ( think Donner Party) and later the first transcontinental highway, the Lincoln Highway). The 40 foot wide graded road seemed safe enough for these guys at 30 to 40 mph.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Nice stuff yet again Fred. Judging from sales, one would think more and more ADV units are going to show up as young studs and fools try there luck.
More power to them I reckon. Single track will thin out those who shouldn't be there. Sure is nice for the industry as a whole, like Harley's. By the way we're they standing up? Seems to be the new rage.

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, they were standing up. One I shot video of had no overnight gear, just hard panniers covered with stickers. The other two were just blurs looming out of the dust. Road was smooth and we were all moving at a good clip so had no idea what they thought of us bozos either.

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Should return to ride again after tonight's big thunderstorm and rainfall...would call new video Muddy Single Track.

Thunderhead looks like a radioactive ice cream cone.

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do occasionally get nice sunsets. That towering cumulous cloud looked like it was directly above the "Dusty Single Track" area and my favorite fire tower occupies the peak immediately to the left. Shortly after snapping this picture the skies opened up and we got quite a soaking with thunder, lightning and hail. Storm spilled over to metropolitan Reno ending a 90 day rain-free period for them. Guess I won't have to water the corn today.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
That looks like a great ride. I went through the Sam Houston national forest here in Texas but I was disappointed since it was merely a tree dodging experience. I was wanting a more laid back scenic ride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts