TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Should have said on my R1150GS
I just got off my R1150GS after 9 hours of mixed riding. Only had plugs in for the last 2.5 hrs, as it was highway and hi speed. Helmet was a Shoei Neotech with bike's factory windscreen set to low, so I could get some flow through it. Would have had plugs in all day, but didn't find them in the side case until the trip back home. That helmet with plugs in is positively serene.
The only helmet I have that is better, is a Shuberth C3Pro. That thing is super quiet even without plugs.

·
Registered
608 Posts
When I'm on pavement I always wear earplugs. On dirt roads, hardly ever. I just get all kinds of wind noise over 35. Tried several windshields but they make it worse.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Helmet is an Arai Tour X 4, standard screen with Tobinators. Previous was a Tour X 1. Before that a DS, and an Ultra Vent. I like Arais but I do find them noisy.
I'm tempted towards a flip front next.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Say what? Duh huh? Having lost some of my hearing from 45 years of marriage as well as equipment usage, I discovered that wearing ear plugs helps me hear. Go figure. Sue and I use microphones when we ride. I've noticed I can hear her fine at low speeds. Over 30mph there is enough wind noise that I can't understand her words. Not that it's a bad thing just saying. For some strange reason using ear plugs allows me to hear thru the microphone clear as a bell. Just the other day we were riding down the highway and she says over the microphone that I should think about going on a diet. What the, " sorry honey I don't have my ear plugs in". One thing is for sure, I never seem to cant and never will insert the ear plugs in my ears during the pre flight check. More times then not I have to stop on the side of the road and take my glasses off, take off my helmet, put in the ear plugs, put the helmet back on, put my glasses back on and buckle the helmet all the time hearing clear as a bell, "are you sure your ready now"? Dirts a Flyen SanDue 🙄😀

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
I use the orange plugs almost all of the time. Without the plugs my TW's sound like a bucket of loose parts rattling around in a bucket. With the plugs it sounds like a finely tuned precision piece of machinery humming away. I am happier with ear plugs.

Besides, if you don't use ear protection you will lose part of your hearing later in life.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I used to wear ear plugs most of the time until I started using a Cardo Packtalk with helmet speakers about 4 years ago! I listen to FM Radio if I have a good signal and Spotify if I don't. I also use earbuds when riding alone to eliminate wind noise but with a passenger I prefer the speakers because with the earbuds I can't hear my own voice very well while talking to passenger or on phone calls..

·
Registered
48 Posts
I hate wearing earplugs, but I do. My brand new Bell Qualifier DLX that I wear when I ride my street bike is the loudest helmet I've ever owned. The wind noise is deafening. I can't believe that in 2020 helmet manufactures don't engineer their helmets to be quiet. Shuberth is the only company I'm aware of that places quietness high on their list. They're expensive but I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy one.
The TW is slow enough that the wind noise isn't bad, but I still wear them when I ride it. But the street bike isn't optional.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yes, the orange squishy foam ear plugs also for about a year or so now. Wish I had started wearing them 40 years ago. Much regret waiting way, way, and, way too long to start.

Marty

·
Registered
354 Posts
When I read this thread yesterday, I thought I would consciously wear the new Earpeace HD earplugs I bought a long time ago and forgot about. I was very impressed.

Working in industry for the last 20 years and a stint in the military, I am quite used to wearing hearing protection. I prefer the yellow and pink laser lights, but have some custom molded ones.

What is different about these is that then really do work as advertised. Everything isn't just muffled, but is attenuated. I rode around all day with my visor up and glasses on as it was warm. Thoroughly enjoyed. I was always concerned that I wouldn't hear traffic with regular earplugs. These seem to work fine.

Stupid expensive for what you get. I don't think they would be "legal" for work, but I sure do like them for riding.

Thanks for the reminder!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you wear hearing protection while riding? I wear the orange ear squishy foam ear plugs.
Yes, especially on my Harleys, but I’ve found that they make TW riding more pleasant. Ear Peace are pretty good, but my favorites are similar, but block 25 dB (see photo as they don’t promote their brand very well).

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yes, especially on my Harleys, but I’ve found that they make TW riding more pleasant. Ear Peace are pretty good, but my favorites are similar, but block 25 dB (see photo as they don’t promote their brand very well). View attachment 206634
What brand is that?

·
Registered
968 Posts
I do on the big bike - wind noise over long rides can get my ears ringing. I haven't on the Dub, at least yet - most rides are mostly dirt and for the most part quiet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts