TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on this forum ever used leading link forks on their TW? I have never owned a bike with them, but would like to try this on one of my TW's. Kind of a crazy idea, but hey lots of crazy ideas work very well. The old BMW's used them and also DKW's used them back in the late 60's/early 70's. Also they are use a lot on side car rigs.
Comments??? Positive or negative...don't care.

Tom in Wichita

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have ridden a few bikes with them in the 70's ,they are heavy ,but very robust .Cant understand why anybody would want to put old technology on a somewhat modern bike ,I would just upgrade the factory spaghetti forks to something modern and larger and be done with it .

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
The TW's already have out dated, old technology forks. Why go further back in time, and prolly spend a lot of money doing so. Maybe if your bored, and looking to change it, but don't go backwards. Maybe for the cool factor, yeah. But don't expect to gain any performance from it at all.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments. I am kind of a retro plus old guy. I think the old DKW's were very cool looking. I've read that the earles forks change the handling for the better. No more dive on front braking, more robust construction. I guess I'm a little quirky. Probably won't try it.

Tom in Wichita

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I had a Sachs and a BMW with leading links. I suspect you get more travel from these than the 'standard forks' of the day. When braking, they don't dive, it seems they are more inclined to elongate.

Some time ago one of our members had a set built-up and installed by a company that set his bike up with a sidecar. Very expensive... There is lots you can do to improve the TW's suspension without spending that kind of money. There are progressive springs, air/sub tanks, as well, you can bore out the triple tree and install some fork tubes that offer a bit more travel and adjustability. The early years of Tri-Z forks worked fine for a couple of members. Last, if not least, you can follow Russ's tutorial and set-up your stock forks to perform as best as they are able for your weight and riding style.

Long story..short; you purchased an inexpensive low tech machine. Ride it as-is and have fun. The other option is to spend lots more money for current technology. Modding a TW should be something left for folks that simply like modding. Given the time and money, you will not get even close to what would be offered by a Yamaha, Honda or Kawasaki 250/400. You can still wind up with something that meets your specific needs and affords a real sense of pride.

My bike has worked well for me, but as well, left others shaking their heads. Modding can be more of a negative when it comes to selling your bike. Of course, my opinion only.

Here is my TW. Has worked great for me, but a few folks think I did Yamaha a disservice. Give major mods some serious thought........... Gerry

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your opinion is very valid, as you have done the mods you want for your bike/riding style. I appreciate it. I probably won't do it, as you have said, it would be very costly. I had a 69 Hodaka Ace 100 back in the early 70's. The forks were shot from lots of dirt riding. I was going to buy Van Tech leading link forks, but was talked into buying Ceriani's instead. Always wondered if I made the right decision. That was a great bike.

Tom in Wichita

·
Registered
789 Posts
Leading link forks are great for for sidecars as the lack of diving under braking makes for
improved handling and easier steering. Also found (in a slightly different form, called "telelever") on newer BMWs like the GS and RT to the same effect
My RT has zero dive under braking making for nice handling and amazing stopping power. Some riders complain
of loss of "feel" with telelever myself, I find the overall package just plain amazing.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Borneo for the link to Dave Orchard's sidecar build. If I had unlimited funds, I would have a set of LL forks made for my TW. I think they would work far better than telescopic forks. I also think they didn't catch favor because of the funky "look". I don't care about the funky look, I care how they work. That link you provided is awesome. Thanks for that.

Tom in Wichita

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
When I first saw Dave's picture of his bike with the sidecar, I wanted one so bad. I started researching it and finally tracked down Dave. The bike was wound out at 45, could do 35 comfortably but he was disappointed with it on hills and the sad part is that with the car, it ended up breaking the front forks and the bike frame somewhere. That was all I needed to hear. I was disappointed, but sure not going to put 5 grand in something that was going to ruin my bike. End of story. In my opinion, the TW just isn't powerful enough and doesn't have a strong enough frame for a sidecar build or I would have had one by now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts