TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I bit the bullet and convinced my missus to buy a bike for the boys and herself. My brother is coming down from up-country and is bringing it with, should arrive tonight. Boys going to their Dad for Christmas so they'll see it when they get back I think they'll go ape over it.

Any of you know of particular issues with the old Honda's? We paid $300 for it from an old friend of mine, so any major issues will have to be dealt with. Only problem is the rear rim has a bit of a flat spot probably from a jump at some stage, I'll take it to a bike shop to re tension the spokes if needed. New chain 80% tread left on tires engine still in good nik. I'll see over the weekend, maybe take it for quick ride, wonderful summer weather we have at the moment so make use of it. ? :D

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a quick update, got the bike and after many tries got it started after I replaced the fuel in the tank with "fresh" fuel. The first while it smelt like burning varnish then like normal exhaust gasses. Got to fix the choke as it is busted and stays closed, just going to put a universal choke cable on the lever and work it that way around. Haven't ridden it yet first want to sort it properly.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got home yesterday and kicked the XL into life, she started on the first kick, I'll probably take her for a blast tomorrow and see how she goes. Need to get some chain wax on the chain and adjust the brakes before I try going anywhere tho.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All

Just a quick update I'll post a few pics, but the boys rode and had an off or 2. The piston broke and I'm now trying to source an oversize piston or any piston that'll work there. Some of the sub compact cars are the same bore and given that I'll need to bore the sleeve it'll be a much cheaper option. I also have a lead on another 3/4 XL185 that I can cannibalize for spares.

Keep you posted

·
Registered
31 Posts
  1. Any parts from Honda's 2 valve XR200 motors will fit. That cylinder can be bored to 200cc.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Andre...treat her to a fresh tank of ethanol free gas and a double-dose of either SeaFoam or StaBil fuel conditioner
And watch the old tires very closely for cracks, especially between the tread grooves. Cracks are much more important than tread depth, especially with boys riding it.
That bike should last until they are grown!

OOPS! Just read about failed piston...bummer!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

As you can see it is terminal for the piston & sleeve, the crank feels fine, not much in the way of rod side play. I'll crack open the casing and remove the rest of the piston debris and then redo the chain & guides too as they are also past their prime.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
  1. Any parts from Honda's 2 valve XR200 motors will fit. That cylinder can be bored to 200cc.
The XL 185 piston specs:
A: Bore 63.0mm (Standard Size)
B: Length 51.3mm
C: Pin Diameter 15mm
D: Compression Height 1. 25.30mm
F: Pin Size 15 x 49.5mm

The XR 200 piston specs:
A: Bore 65.5mm (Standard Size)
B: Length 51.0mm
C: Pin Diameter 15mm
D: Compression Height 25.15mm
F: Pin Size 15x50.0mm
Weight 105gms

I see the bore size differs 0.140 and the compression height is slightly lower so that should compensate a bit for the larger bore. I'm doing this on the fly as I type here, swept volume for the XL in standard trim: Πr² x stroke
Π x 31.5² x 57.8 = 180176.7 / 1000 = 180.176 cc
With the XR 200 piston: Πr² x stroke
Π x 32.75² x 57.8 = 194760 / 1000 = 194.760 cc
Basically a 10 cc gain, I just don't have specs on the standard combustion chamber or valve sizes or compression ratio. I suppose I now have to fix the decompress unit as it came without lever or cable :unsure: :LOL:

Darth

Re the tires they are still fair had to replace the rear tube as the youngest ripped the valve off while driving with a flat tire. I try and limit them to a field on our farm that is not too large so they can first learn to ride the bike before letting them go on the forest roads. What they got up to while I'm at work is a whole other story:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: we were all young.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did it break the cyl sleeve?
For parts search purposes, any top end parts from Honda's ATC185, ATC200, ATC200X, XR & XL 185 & 200 should fit. Compression ratios vary some between models.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did it break the cyl sleeve?
For parts search purposes, any top end parts from Honda's ATC185, ATC200, ATC200X, XR & XL 185 & 200 should fit. Compression ratios vary some between models.
Nope just the piston and scored the sleeve.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts