TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
We had one here two years or so ago. It was a VERY strange feeling, I almost thought I had vertigo for a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Yeah, it is a very strange feeling for sure. I remember the one a few years ago as well. It was in Virginia I think? I remember, I was home, laying on my couch. I saw the ceiling fan kinda rocking back and forth, then the mirror and pictures on the wall. Then my flat screen TV and plants shaking. Hmm, then I felt it too. Like I was standing on a boat. Lasted over a minute or so. And I'm up in NJ. Switched channel to CNN News, and sure enough, 5 minutes later, it was on the news. Said they felt it as far up as up State NY and southern Vermont.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Must have been slight tremors here, I didn't feel it, but in looking at the times, Jack the dog did. I wondered what was up with him.

M4.2 - 8km S of Galesburg, Michigan

*Edit: actually, an official report registered 2.9 a full 50 miles south of me.
I'm about 55 miles as the crow flies from Auburn, was working baseball...and gotta say, I didn't feel squat:p But....I have felt small quakes in the past...and they have shook the palace...strange feeling to say the least.

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Funny how apprehensive we are of new risks, yet can become if not complacent but perhaps comfortable with a known hazard. I've been around a few volcanic eruptions and many an earthquake and have acquired a tempered apprehension for them. However the idea of living in tornado country seems very intimidating to me. Somehow the idea of wind that can seasonally shred and kill without warning seems darn spooky to me.
Certainly when the ground shakes violently beneath you it sort of shakes your perception of what is normal and right in the universe. Survivors can often be in a post traumatic daze for some time and exhibit odd behavior and poor judgement just as frequently as heroism.
We had an earthquake swarm of some 3,000+events over a few month period within a few miles of here a few years ago. My wife from tectonically stable Brazil was really quite stressed out by these often repeated but never before experienced shake-ups. In hindsight I could have been more sympathetic.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I was waiting for the school bus when the Alaska quake hit. I was in Washington state when it happened and the trees started swaying and the road looked like a ripple in a pond.

The last one here I heard the dishes rattling and I was sitting in the couch when the main whump came. It lifted the ground enough to bottom me out on the couch.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Talk about wind that can shred and kill, you should have shared a cabin with Hoot, Nick and Weasel in Moab.
Mr Innocent....:hororr:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts