TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, Danimal here, a 73 year old rider of street bikes; 2 Goldwings, Honda 919 Hornet, 3 Burgman 650, Burgman 400, Honda Silverwing 600, Honda Reflex 250, and 2 Kymco scooters (150/250). I sold my beloved Silverwing Maxi scooter recently and hated to see it go but the #550 pound weight was a handful in soft sand on the half mile dirt road to my house. Can’t tell you how many times I dropped the Goldwing and had to pick it up and sometimes on the hill. I eventually triked the Wing to handle deep sand but hated the ride. The Burgmans and Silverwing was dicey too on my farm road.

So recently I’ve been thinking about another bike and wanted something I’ve never ridden or owned before; a dual sport, a bike that can safely traverse my road. My first considelation was the Honda CT Trail 125, however I’ve owned an enemic Kymco 150 scooter that could barely hit 55 going down hill. That’s the performance of the little CT 125 as I’m looking for a combo, street and trail bike, not a moped. I’m not looking for a speed demon as I had that with my 919 Hornet as my days of breaking 130 are over. However us old farts like to meetup at coffee shops in town and kick some tires, take 2 hours to run to the grocery store for milk and bread and explore rural backroads on weekends. Since I live 25 miles from town out in the Piney Woods of East Texas, I’ll need to access a state highway where folks are rolling at 70. So, my needs are a bike that can at least get up to 60-70 for short section without getting run over. I think with some sprocket mods at the expense of some low end grunt the TW can do highway speeds when needed.

Now here’s the fun part. I’m a lifelong backpacker, canoeist and kayaker and am very active in water sports. I just finished a 4 day wilderness canoe trip on Broken Bow Lake, Oklahoma. I want to add moto camping to my outdoor adventures and my UL backpacking gear is a perfect match for moto camping.

So, looking for a do all Swiss Army knife in a dual sport as the TW 200 appears to be the perfect match for me. I am now on the hunt. Danimal

btw: I was nicknamed Danimal when I used to ride a road bike with younger riders and could smoke them on the hills. They just couldn’t figure it out as they attacked too soon, too fast and I’d peddle right past them half way up.

· Premium Member
356 Posts
Welcome Danimal. You’ve come to the right place for all things TW.

Reactions: Snow Fox

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome Danimal. You’ve come to the right place for all things TW.
Thanks for the howdy and looks like you’ve had/have quite an array of bikes too. My first GW was an 85 gold colored fuel injected (only year offered until the GL 1800) and man it ran like a scalded cat. I‘m hoping to discover the fun you guys get with the TW also.

· Registered
2,113 Posts
Hi guys, Danimal here, a 73 year old rider of street bikes; 2 Goldwings, Honda 919 Hornet, 3 Burgman 650, Burgman 400, Honda Silverwing 600, Honda Reflex 250, and 2 Kymco scooters (150/250). I sold my beloved Silverwing Maxi scooter recently and hated to see it go but the #550 pound weight was a handful in soft sand on the half mile dirt road to my house. Can’t tell you how many times I dropped the Goldwing and had to pick it up and sometimes on the hill. I eventually triked the Wing to handle deep sand but hated the ride. The Burgmans and Silverwing was dicey too on my farm road.

So recently I’ve been thinking about another bike and wanted something I’ve never ridden or owned before; a dual sport, a bike that can safely traverse my road. My first considelation was the Honda CT Trail 125, however I’ve owned an enemic Kymco 150 scooter that could barely hit 55 going down hill. That’s the performance of the little CT 125 as I’m looking for a combo, street and trail bike, not a moped. I’m not looking for a speed demon as I had that with my 919 Hornet as my days of breaking 130 are over. However us old farts like to meetup at coffee shops in town and kick some tires, take 2 hours to run to the grocery store for milk and bread and explore rural backroads on weekends. Since I live 25 miles from town out in the Piney Woods of East Texas, I’ll need to access a state highway where folks are rolling at 70. So, my needs are a bike that can at least get up to 60-70 for short section without getting run over. I think with some sprocket mods at the expense of some low end grunt the TW can do highway speeds when needed.

Now here’s the fun part. I’m a lifelong backpacker, canoeist and kayaker and am very active in water sports. I just finished a 4 day wilderness canoe trip on Broken Bow Lake, Oklahoma. I want to add moto camping to my outdoor adventures and my UL backpacking gear is a perfect match for moto camping.

So, looking for a do all Swiss Army knife in a dual sport as the TW 200 appears to be the perfect match for me. I am now on the hunt. Danimal

btw: I was nicknamed Danimal when I used to ride a road bike with younger riders and could smoke them on the hills. They just couldn’t figure it out as they attacked too soon, too fast and I’d peddle right past them half way up.
Welcome to the forum Danimal!! Good luck with the Hunt. Luckily for you hunting season for the TW year round!

I hope you've got a small trailer for behind that Goldwing Trike, because that would be a cool TW tow rig....when you find one, and other times when needed! :cool:

Haha...love the nickname and story. As a runner, and having done many Tri's, I've had many similar situations.....seeing the young guns emptying the tank early, only to know you'll likely see & pass them a bit further up the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts