TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, this is short notice but we didn't really start discussing the ride until yesterday. We are going on a ride in Eastern Oregon this Wednesday and see a bunch of old homestead/ranches. The exact details of the meeting location aren't set in stone but probably will meet at the gas station/convenience store in Owyhee, OR which is between Nyssa and Adrian on Hwy 201. At this point, we'll meet at the store around 0830 and then move to a staging area on Mitchell Butte Rd. west of Owyhee. If interested let me know.

The ride will be on mostly primitive 2-track and not overly difficult but the ride will be long. Have plenty of fuel and butt. No need for mosquito spray just in case you were wondering. haha.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Rough estimate on miles? My dad might want to ride along but I don't want to blindside him with a 200 miler.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
No need for mosquito spray just in case you were wondering. haha.
What, you putting a little diesel in the TW to keep the critters at bay?

·
Super Moderator
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rough estimate on miles? My dad might want to ride along but I don't want to blindside him with a 200 miler.
I'll get you a mileage count tomorrow morning but should be a lot less than 200 miles.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Ballpark guess is good enough. He'd have no problem keeping up. Just may not have all the callouses built up in the right spots yet.

Sidenote: Mike sold his TW. After the ride we took a couple weeks ago over to Freezout, he decided he missed his 4wheeler.

·
Super Moderator
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ballpark guess is good enough. He'd have no problem keeping up. Just may not have all the callouses built up in the right spots yet.

Sidenote: Mike sold his TW. After the ride we took a couple weeks ago over to Freezout, he decided he missed his 4wheeler.
I did a quick track and it's about 135 miles. Probably should add a little to that as sometimes the roads shown on the map are no longer there. However, it's pretty close. You've ridden probably half of the route so it should be somewhat familiar it places.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The 2 of us are in, if you're taking a head count.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I wish I could. Sounds like my mind of ride. And close to home. I look forward to them ride report.

·
Super Moderator
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm in. Had my 2nd chinavirus shot today. Hope there is no reaction. View attachment 214489
You look fine or normal from the picture.

Looks like 4 of us then. I invited my 3 sons but they can't make it on short notice.

TW200's in the desert we go!

·
Super Moderator
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know how 135 miles in 8 1/2 hours wore me out so bad but it did. Took me a whole day to recover enough just to coble some photos together of our ride.

Riders: me, Mistervelocity, Oldworld124, and Mistervelocitydad

I think this was the second of one hundred thousand gates we had to go through on this trip. Maybe getting on and off the TW to open/close the gates is why I'm so tired.

The fellers let me stop and catch a Geocache near the Freezout Cowboy Cabin. It's up there! We did stop at the Freezout Cabin on this trip as we all have been to it many times or recently.

This cache had a lot of loot.

The old King Brown cabin ruins is a good find. Not much left but just like all the old ranches/homesteads, people had hopes and dreams.

Here we ride up the creek without a paddle to the next place.

We had to splish/splash a little to get to the next place

and here we are at the Partridge Family, Bob the Bus, The Mission God Bus. Not really sure if this was an attempt to Homestead, Squat, or be a cowboy camp but I'm guessing it worked out for a while until it didn't.

A couple of ranches later. This is a picture from a visit a couple of years ago. Today this old ranch house was collapsed with a dead cow inside. Bones and all.

With all the sagebrush around now, it's hard to imagine the family once used this horse-drawn sickle mower.

to be continued

·
Super Moderator
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Riding in the wide-open was fun...except for all the gates.

This next place is probably one of my most favorites. Mostly because of the location. I wish I could get my camper back here...safely! Great spot for moto-camping off a bike.

Oasis on the trail. Coming up to Twin Springs. It's a remote BLM campground and a nice shady place for a break, especially at the tail end of a long ride. I've often wondered if there was an old ranch/homestead here but I've never found anything indicating anything other than the springs and campground.

...and we'll close the gate on this ride as we pass through the last of one hundred thousand gates.

·
Registered
21,499 Posts
Homesteaders must have gone through pretty some lean times out there.
With all those gates I imagine their pizza got cold with the old fashioned horse drawn delivery robots.

I was out the other week right after a brief rain in sagebrush terrain. The released aromas rising after a long period of no rain were very nice, almost sensory overload. Imagine similar rains meant a lot more than just pleasant smells to the Owyhee ranchers .

·
Registered
486 Posts
It was another great ride. Was feeling the effects of the chinavirus vaccine I took the day before. A couple of aleves later in the day helped tremendously.
Admiral was in the lead which gave him the opportunity to open a lot of gates.
It is hard to imagine how the homesteaders managed to make it work being so far from civilization. Can easily understand why most have been abandoned.
The old roads and trails are still in pretty good shape. Was fun going down some trails that have not been traveled on much.
Thanks again Admiral for charting out a very
a1.JPG
a2.JPG
a3.JPG
a4.JPG
a5.jpg
good route.

·
Super Moderator
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Homesteaders must have gone through pretty some lean times out there.
With all those gates I imagine their pizza got cold with the old fashioned horse drawn delivery robots.
View attachment 214634

I was out the other week right after a brief rain in sagebrush terrain. The released aromas rising after a long period of no rain were very nice, almost sensory overload. Imagine similar rains meant a lot more than just pleasant smells to the Owyhee ranchers .
Even though it hadn’t rained recently, while walking around I did brush against some sagebrush and it emitted that wonderful sagebrush smell. I could have used a domino’s delivery at my truck at the end of the ride. Haha

Reactions: oldworld 124

·
Registered
486 Posts
So. Many. Gates.
20210505_113412.jpg
20210505_120116.jpg
20210505_104927.jpg
Screenshot_20210505-181032_onX Offroad.jpg

·
Registered
652 Posts
Dang, I wish you boys would have let me go along. I woulda opened the gates... well a few of the gates... someone woulda noticed how old and feeble I was and he woulda beat me to it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts