TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a few ideas for anyone traveling Hwy 395. Alabama Hills is good base camp for exploring Mt.Whitney, Death Valley,Bristlecones . Freds new2013 060.jpg Fred's 2013 photos 150.jpg . Fred's 2013 photos 154.jpg CIMG0233.JPG P1020039.JPG I have only been these places car camping with furry friends but thought great for TW destination as in heart of great riding areas.:grommit:

Just outside Lone Pine off of Whitney Portal Road the Alabama hills have scenic primative camping with miles of trails through hoo-doo rock formations. Food , gas, lodging in Lone Pine. Good blacktop and dirt rides nearby. Just thought I would share a few pics in case you wonder "Why would I want to go there?"

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good story. I've just been searching old posts and it looks like alot of you have had TW adventures in area that I still dream about. I'll travel with wife andpets and look around thinking "how come I don't have my TW?". New reciever hitch bike carrier may change that. 'till then I'll just enjoy all of your postings of various adventures.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have ridden many places in the 395 corridor. The opportunities are unlimited, scenery unbelievable, Alabama Hills are great, some gorgeous lakes, etc.
Mel

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Ridden in that area a lot including Armstrong Canyon, Swansea-Cerro Gordo and Mazrouka (sp) Peak-Papoose Flats. Great scenery.
Josh

·
Registered
48 Posts
[That pic of Mt. Whitney brings back some memories from long ago. I climbed it twice, the second time my knees hurt so bad I was afraid I might have to be hilocoptered down. That was the end of my mountain climbing days.../QUOTE]

That's awesome! I climbed Whitney this past summer. It was amazing! Going to do Shasta this summer. photo 1.JPG photo 3.JPG

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Yeah, it was pretty cool and many many years ago. I actually saved the life of a girl whom I later married. We were off the beaten path and two climbers who were above us dislodged a boulder which came thundering down the mountain. I heard the folks above us screaming and could feel the earth shaking as it came towards us. The gal was standing frozen in fear on a small pathway, with a few thousand foot drop off two feet away. I could feel the earth shaking as it rolled down upon us, but couldn't see it. I realized that it was coming directly down on us and this gal couldn't move. I ran and grabbed her and I fell back into a small crevice holding her close to me and two seconds later a boulder five feet in diameter crashed upon the spot she had been standing and went flying thousands of feet below. It came within inches of us, I could have easily touched it as it went by. She would have died almost instantly otherwise.

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I stumbled accross thread for Bikerjosh's organized Death Valley trip last night, a great read. I was impressed. Josh, You and others know your stuff and can put together a really well done group ride. Good pics of SoCal gang and departed Lizrdbrth in addition to fantastic scenery. Entertaining winter-time read garanteed to make you wish you were there.
Can confussor (computer?) savy member post link for this and/ other 395 based trips? Apologize for poor forum skills.

Littletommy you are a hidden hero with a storybook happy ending. Good job!

Well, I have just about convinced myself to load up van with TW and head down there. To heck with taxes, recent rains should make wildflowers pop in Death Valley and that is a sight to see. Now if I can only put off clients and convince dogs they can survive w/o me.....

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
QUOTE=Fred;101921]I stumbled accross thread for Bikerjosh's organized Death Valley trip last night, a great read. I was impressed. Josh, You and others know your stuff and can put together a really well done group ride. Good pics of SoCal gang and departed Lizrdbrth in addition to fantastic scenery. Entertaining winter-time read garanteed to make you wish you were there.
Can confussor (computer?) savy member post link for this and/ other 395 based trips? Apologize for poor forum skills.

Littletommy you are a hidden hero with a storybook happy ending. Good job!

Well, I have just about convinced myself to load up van with TW and head down there. To heck with taxes, recent rains should make wildflowers pop in Death Valley and that is a sight to see. Now if I can only put off clients and convince dogs they can survive w/o me.....[/QUOTE]

Thanks Fred
It was a lot of fun planning that group ride in DV. I organized three rides out of the Lakeport/Ukiah area last year, you should come join us for the next one-probably sometime in late March or April.
Heading back to DV on March 7-9 to host my second three day 4wd trip, after doing my first one in early November.
Josh

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Josh, you are a busy guy.When do you have time for the Lotus Seven seen in garage photo? Catherham or older original? Orange nose looks awesome.
Thank you for Cow Mtn invite.I would like to meet all you folks after reading a few of your posts.
I hope to sneak down south in 2 weeks,camp @ eureka dunes and ride warm springs, saline valley , marble canyon in simple loop or up to racetrack and around. Last year somone jeeped accross racetrack playa making a mess, very dissapointing irresponsible off-roading..Place is for moving rocks only.Otherwise if cold,stormy base out of Alabama Hills and ride north and south exploring numereous Sierra front side canyons via Foothills Road , or hot springs out of Owens Valley. Too many options,

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Josh, you are a busy guy.When do you have time for the Lotus Seven seen in garage photo? Catherham or older original? Orange nose looks awesome.
QUOTE]
Yep, it is an original 63, super seven. With a 2 yr old, not much time since I seem to be working on too many other things. With the exception of needing a paint job it's finished. It was originally licensed for the street, so I have current plates on it when I want to go down to the grocery store. :DNice thing is letting it sit in the garage it is appreciating in value.

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I think the Lotus Super Seven is the best looking sports car ever, hands down. Classic clamshell fenders, teardrop lights, lots of built-in lightness.Purity of purpose and shear eye candy for me, makes my knees go weak. Also have affinity for old Lotus Europas but I am odd that way.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
My brother drove a lotus Europa in his senior year of high school. My dad and my oldest brother both have original lotus 7s set up for the track.

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
:DThey say the true measure of a man's greatness is how much he agrees with you. -paraphrase of W.E.B. Griffen

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a Whitney story, if I'm not too late to post it. 6 of us were returning from the summit and made it back to the Trailhead Camp, when we were relaxing around the fire a brown bear came strolling into camp . We were in dis- belief as it proceeded to start ripping apart a very expensive pack on the picnic table, as if we weren't even there! This was a dangerous bear because it had no fear of man. We mustered a weak offensive " Get Bear ! " Instead of fleeing the bear rose up on its hind legs and snarled its mouth showing all of its canine teeth. Then it launched at us like a shot from a canon! We scrambled up a large granite boulder conveniently located right behind us and the bear retreated to the picnic table again. Now we were really scared,yet we were witnessing the destruction of our valuables. We came up with a better plan. All of us retreated to the back side of the boulder and grabbed a softball sized rock. On three we all launched our rocks, and yelled as loud as we could! About half the rocks hit the bear an it ran 20 feet away, but then started to come back ! We were commited now and we continued the rock throwing, yelling and grabbed some torches from our camp fire. We chased the bear 100 feet or so then returned to pack up and get the hell out before it returned!

·
Registered
19,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great story PassMan, I think black bears in parks and recreation areas are the worst .Our gear smells edible and they have no fear. Picture captures the moment percectly!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Great story PassMan, I think black bears in parks and recreation areas are the worst .Our gear smells edible and they have no fear. Picture captures the moment percectly!
Glad you guys enjoyed my story. You may be right about it being a black bear. I understand they are brown colored as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts