TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a place at the foot of Mt.Whitney I seem to get to every year once weather turns. Have led a few mini-group rides with others here and in"nearby" Death Valley and would be happy to share a few days with some of you. Timing is totally up in the air but is a bit better when gates are not closed up to the 10,000ft wilderness trailheads. Full moons are special times to wander, or ride, amongst the sculpted landforms.
This would be months out from now.
Any interest?

·
Registered
20,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
...and if you get bored you can follow the sounds of freedom to the popular vantage point in the video about 45 road miles away. The F-35 is suposeedly really loud. Back at camp can often hear them, whatever is flying, but rarely see them. Guess they are not that stealthy when they are in your face...and the Dutch say it is a secret location. Let's go watch. :)

·
Registered
841 Posts
I would love to join you. Hope I'm able to get away.
Regarding the F35;
Have you checked out the pilot's helmet technology? The jet has several cameras mounted around it's exterior. They display on the helmet's visor. If the pilot looks down, for example, he sees through the plane as if it wasn't there. Any direction he looks, he sees what's outside the jet through the cameras. It's flying like superman or Iron Man. And speaking of Iron Man, the pilot can be in a multi aircraft dogfight and his display will light up the friendlies as green, enemy as red, then lock onto multiple red targets and fire at all of them at once. Sorta like the Iron Man scene where the terrorists are holding hostages in front of them and Iron Man targets each terrorist's head and simultaniously fires on all of them at once.
The jet is single engine. Most all are twin these days. There is only one seat. The first time a pilot takes a F35 up, he does it alone, no instructor in the other seat.
I've seen 'em twice now at air shows. One maneuver in particular stunned me;
You know how a jet banks when making a turn, the pilot is on the inside of the turn, the undercarriage facing out and taking the brunt of the air resistance. In this maneuver, the pilot is on the outside of the banked turn. Take you hand and pretend it's a jet and bank it like a normal turn, then try it with the pilot on the outside of the turn. It's like turning a car with extreme oversteer only banked to the high side. The air compression was so great, there wasn't just contrail off the wing tips, it was off the whole fuselage. Literally loosing sight of the jet in the condensed air. Another maneuver was a flat turn so sharp, the jet was pointed back the way it came while still traveling in the original direction. A 180 degree 'skid' so to speak. I was quite sure the jet was going fall out of the sky, but, of course it didn't. The cockpit conversation was broadcast on a local radio station. I could hear the pilot banter as he performed with his jet.
The Blue Angels flew just prior and I thought that was great. This this guy shows up and it was a whole different level of aircraft performance. He did a low approach just under the speed of sound. I knew which direction he was coming from, hearing his azimuth through the radio, and I had binoculars, but still could not see him. By the time I did, it was too late and only maybe a second or two before he passed overhead. An air strike by this guy would be a complete surprise to anyone on the ground. By the time they knew he was inbound, the bombs would be going off.
If you ever get a chance to see them, don't miss.

·
Registered
20,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I never get tired of this view. Mt. Whitey makes for a nice backdrop on many a ride. Paved Whitney Portal road ends in the far tree line right around 10,000 ft.
Fred's 2013 photos 154.jpg

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts