TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I saw r80rt's post on the trail jack that he made, I said to myself "I could do that!"

http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/7369-trail-jack/page__p__72788__hl__+trail++jack__fromsearch__1#entry72788

Of course that is what I always tell myself when I see all the cool stuff that you guys make, but I never follow through and do it. But this time I said "I really can do that!"�, and decided to actually do it.

I wanted a jack that would fit into one of my tool tubes, so I decided to make a two piece version of r80rt's design.

First step, off to the stockroom to check out my inventory of rare and exotic metals.

Next a trip to Home depot for a length of steel tubing ½" OD x 3/8" ID.

Now it was time to begin fabricating the straight portions of the design. Here is the high precision cutoff tool that I utilized - accurate to +/- 2 microns in the hands of a skilled craftsman (unfortunately, I am not that person).

With the straight segments done, I then proceeded to the curved segment. Here is my V6 equipped, Budweiser fueled, Armstrong metal bending apparatus, which worked surprisingly well.

After some high precision work with a big old hand file, the fabrication work was done.

Assembled.

Now on to the welding department and my CNC welding layout and fabrication table (the CNC refers to Cheap N Crummy).

A few years ago, I picked up this Harbor Freight welder off of Craigslist for $30.00 but have never used it. Well now it is time to dust it off and see if it works.

Here is the welding table and welder all set up and ready to see if it will work.

(Since I've reached my limit on pictures, I will continue with Part II)

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Part II

WARNING: Here is where it gets ugly. Make sure there are no small children nearby. They may be scarred for life if they see the following image.

Considering that I have never welded anything before (unless you count JB-Weld), didn't bother with any practice welds or even reading the instructions that came with the welder, the jack didn't turn out too bad. Not pretty, but I banged on the welds pretty hard and they didn't pop off. Should be okay to hold one end of a TW a couple of inches off the ground at O mph.

Next, the project moved over to the paint shop. For this part of the job I fabricated an OSHA approved paint booth complete with solar illumination and continuous atmospheric crossflow ventilation. Paint system used was a self pressurized system with full digital control and an internal orbital MMM (Metallic Mixing Mechanism).

After knocking off some of the bigger goobers and sharper splatters, the jack was ready to paint.

Here's the finished product. Satin black paint can hide a multitude of sins!

Considering that this project only took me about 5 times as long as it would take for MrBracket to design and build a complete remote controlled, hydraulically actuated rocker/recliner suspension system for his TW complete with surround sound, closed loop temperature controlled seat warmer, cup holders and a GPS positioning/leveling system, I am pretty satisfied with the outcome.

Thanks again to r80rt for the original idea!

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
nice job brian, we'll have to do quality control checks at the sheet iron! hopefully no one will need it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thank you!

Thank you!!

Thank you!!!

Your posting story is so funny my wife asked what I was laughing at so I had to read it to her, and show her the pictures.

She laughed a lot about it too.

Excellent "how to" write up, sir!

We would all do well to review this thread before we post our own boring, dull, and dry build threads.

Two thumbs way up from us!!!

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Thanks guys, I only hope MrBracket isn't offended.
no worries, i think he's a pretty hard guy to offend.

brian,

where do you attach to lift the front wheel? i noticed your's is more of a loop, and wouldn't fit into a hole in the skid plate.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Joe,

I drilled a hole in my skid plate just like r80rt did. The loop works fine with the hole and can also be used on the frame behind the right foot peg or under the swingarm. I wasn't sure that the loop would work, but I left it the way it is figuring I could always trim it back if needed.

p.s. You may recognize the dirt, I haven't cleaned my bike since the Sheetiron 150 ride. My son and I are going on this Yosemite ride this weekend, so I figure why clean it when it will just get dirty again.

http://www.familyoffroadadventures.com/schedule/yosemite-adventure-tour

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Hey Joe,

I drilled a hole in my skid plate just like r80rt did. The loop works fine with the hole and can also be used on the frame behind the right foot peg or under the swingarm. I wasn't sure that the loop would work, but I left it the way it is figuring I could always trim it back if needed.

p.s. You may recognize the dirt, I haven't cleaned my bike since the Sheetiron 150 ride. My son and I are going on this Yosemite ride this weekend, so I figure why clean it when it will just get dirty again.

http://www.familyoffroadadventures.com/schedule/yosemite-adventure-tour

hey brian,

that yosemite run looks great. why don't you bring your son on the nor cal 150?

btw: my bike is still wearing the same dirt too..... i should really wash it. or not.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Thanks guys, I only hope MrBracket isn't offended.

Nope, not offended
I really like your sense of humor in fact!

And nice work, I like your "stick"

You'll get addicted soon, just keep practicing with that welder. You'll be making all kinds of crazy stuff now

1 - 20 of 34 Posts