TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I would throw out a teaser... it will probably be a month before I get to this little project, but at least I have all the stuff ready to go. Bought a used 2005 clutch assembly off flee-bay and had it shipped to Garry at EFM. I just received it today from EFM and I think it is going to be a very cool mod to the Tdub. It is a pricy mod... I have $1000 CAD in it so far and will do the install myself. But when Qwerty said he had the price of a GS in his stroker I thought.... what the hell.

This little project is to see if I can get my partner to learn to ride a motorsyckle. :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
855 Posts
This is something I wioulllld like to do. I have an autoclutch on myFatCat and it makes it super easy to film from. Keep us posted. It will make your bike very easy to ride and accessible to a novice rider. I once rode with a one handed fellow who had an autoclutch set up on his bike.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know a couple of guys that ride YZ450s with Recluse auto clutches and they say it frees up a bunch of your attention while riding difficult terrain. I haven't ridden a centrifugal clutch since my first Honda 50cc step-through over 50 years ago. We will see.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Is your EMF auto-clutch operate the same as a Recluse or is there a difference?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think Recluse has changed their design some recently, but I think originally they were very similar. I talked this over with the head mechanic at our Yamaha dealership who runs a Recluse in his YZ450. He thought they looked very similar and operated under the same principles. The engagement plates and balls look to be the same general design.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
time just keeps on slippin.... into the future

Finally after having this clutch sitting on the bench for almost a year... it is now in the bike and I have had it up and down the street a couple of times. I need to learn how it works in the real world still but so far so good.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Did the side cover have to be modified? Reason I ask is because I have an EFM auto-clutch on my 2002 Kawasaki KX250 and it needed a 3/8" (or there abouts) spacer to give the clutch clearance from the clutch cover. The KX has a separate cover over the clutch compared to the TW which is the whole side cover.

I also put one on a 2001 Kawasaki KX500 which has a side cover like the TW has. I had to slice off the clutch cover portion, weld on some rod stock to the cover, drill, tap and turn it into a cover that could access the clutch without removing the whole thing, plus gave me clearance to mount the EFM in the first place.

When you get to it, the clutch will take some adjustment with the spring washers in order to get it to engage at the preferred RPM.

They are a hoot! I love mine. With no hand clutch, I modified my rear brake to work where the clutch lever used to be. Much like a mountain bike with front/rear brakes on the bars. Great for locking up the rear wheel to oversteer on downhill switchbacks, especially right handed turns where you want to plant a foot but had to work the rear brake instead.

A long time ago, I wrote and illustrated a manual for Garry using my EFM install on a 2000 Kawasaki KDX220. I've got the text, but lost the pictures some time back.

A tip; always use anti-seize on the threads. The bolts are steel, the material screwed into is aluminum. They will seize over time. Happened on the KX500 and had to drill, tap and easy out every single one!

·
Registered
113 Posts
One more thing;
you can not bump start a bike with the EFM installed, so if you don't have a kick starter, get one quick!

Actually, you can bump start, but you have to install those lock screws.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey nohair, sounds like you have a fair bit of experience with this style clutch. I had to relieve the webbing inside the clutch cover a bit to stop interference. I have had the inner hub out after the initial install to add another shim, engagement was to high. I may need to go in again but I want to run it a bit to see. I am also considering setting the brakes up like a mt bike, but right now have the clutch lever active. Good advice on the kick starter, I knew going in that I would not be able to bump start. If I like the set up as much as you seem to I will invest in a kick start kit.

I used blue lock-tight on those itty bitty screws that hold the pressure plate to the basket - maybe a mistake.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Blue loctite is fine. Anything to keep the galvanic action from freezing the hardware together.

I don't have any experience with the TW and an EFM clutch, but with my Kawasaki's, they were perfect. I could dump my bike on a 3rd gear hillclimb, pick it back up AND hold both FRONT and REAR brakes (remember the rear hand brake now where the clutch lever was), throw a leg over and hit the throttle. Even though I was in 3rd gear, the clutch would just slip more to get me moving. Hard on the clutch plates, but much better than trying to kick start a full sized moto-x bike on a steep hill.

Launching from a dead stop, the bike could easily engage to wheelie away or break loose the rear tire on command. I kept forgetting it was in gear when turned off, then kickstarting and giving a handful of throttle to fan the engine rpm's only to get launched. Ha!

By far and away, the single best mod I've ever done to any off road motorcycle I've ever owned. It's like having a miniature pro moto-x'er sitting on your handle bar, running your clutch for you.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hi there troll, I'm following your thread and I'm VERY curious to know how your project is going along, are you making progress? If you are eventually successful with it I also want to do the same modification on my bike.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi there troll, I'm following your thread and I'm VERY curious to know how your project is going along, are you making progress? If you are eventually successful with it I also want to do the same modification on my bike.
I would call it a success so far. I just need to get the shims adjusted for the right engagement RPM. Talked to Garry at EFM and his product support is the best. He is sending me a few more shims and some heavier engagement weights. From what I hear these clutches are pretty bullet proof once you get them set up properly and they carry a life-time warranty on materials and build. I think the only real challenge is getting them set-up, which requires some trial and error assembly. Once I get the stuff Garry is sending my way (free of any charges) I should be able to get the set-up I want... all I want is the engagement RPM to be a bit lower... otherwise I like how it operates.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts