TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13,343 Posts
I've always been interested in this type of product, especially for trail riding, but have never heard of anyone putting one on their TW. I suspect the cost of the auto clutch is what makes it unpopular with most of us economically minded TW owners. Now, if it was $200 instead of $625...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Buy a vespa if you want a auto clutch. No dirtbike should have a autoclutch unless your a noob. Imho kinda sad to see this posting. Should be some kinda sin. Learn your clutch. It will save your life. Lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buy a vespa if you want a auto clutch. No dirtbike should have a autoclutch unless your a noob. Imho kinda sad to see this posting. Should be some kinda sin. Learn your clutch. It will save your life. Lol
Yes. I am new. To riding and this forum. Only700 miles on the bike. I looked at scooters(cfmoto v3) hard. They stopped making the v3, so I adjusted and opened my search.
From my research, seems that a LOT of dirt bikes have auto clutches. Especially those for racing

I like to lift things up and put them down. When I leave the gym im exhausted and weak. .Really dont care to clutch and shift.
Commuting redlight to redlight, I Really dont care to clutch and shift.
On the freeway getting buffeted by wind, id rather my hands be solid on the grips- again- Really dont care to clutch and shift.
At some point we all get old and weak. At that point I will again say: Really dont care to clutch and shift.
With this mod, still have to shift.
Say i lose the use of 1arm, 1 leg. Cvt tw would be nice....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sounds lazy to me. Just my opinion. With only 700 miles on the bike you should learn it ...before you rape it.Your not racing so no need for auto clutch.sounds like you need a civic.lol

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
To each his own. Just because its not for you doesnt mean it shouldn't be done. Having an autoclutch could be alot of fun and is especially beneficial to those with arthritis. Dont knock it til you try it. They are alot of fun in the real tight stuff.

·
Registered
13,343 Posts
A difference of opinion and/or constructive criticism is alway understandable. The harsh personal attack is dissappointing. Pointing out the disadvantages for an autoclutch would be helpful, being called lazy, not so much!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I don't want to be involved in the mud throwing contest, but what about a long, proven, and not much more expensive Honda trail 90 to learn on?
Mel

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Autoclutch on a hollow mod.

That'd be interesting. :icon_thumleft:

·
Registered
794 Posts
I checked out the website as I had not heard of "autoclutch" but my youth was full of Honda centrifugal clutches. Used alot in Honda ATVs as well curenntly
Bomb proof and does make riding easier. Sure would facilitate having a beer riding around camp eh? Not even to mention in stop and go tarmac
I'm too cheap to buy one but I'd say go for it! If your near me I'd install it for you just to check it out.
It's your motorbike do what you want!

·
Registered
49 Posts
An autoclutch in general isn't aimed at running through the gears without pulling in the clutch lever. They are intended to help in crawling and stalling situations. If you stop during a hillclimb, you can just ease onto the throttle and the autoclutch modulates and you start moving again without breaking traction. You can also climb hills in the wrong gear so the bike will never "bog down" because the autoclutch will modulate and keep the engine in the fat part of the torque curve. If you fall over, the engine usually won't stall so you can pick the bike up and proceed without restarting the motor.

The only technical downside is when you manage to stall the engine in the middle of a hillclimb, now you have no engine braking on the rear wheel and if its steep enough, the front brake won't hold the bike on the hill and you come down under the influence of gravity.

Its a great "cheater" system for offroading but the nature of a TW makes it less of an advantage as it is on another type of bike. For instance some bikes are impossible to kickstart after you fall over and stall on a hillclimb. The TW is less likely to brake traction, stall etc and has estart if you happen to kill the engine.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've ridden a quad with autoclutch and the ONLY time it felt okay was accelerating from a stop. Once things got moving, shifting from 2nd on was an iffy at best situation. Maybe it was just that particular setup/model but sometimes I'd let off the gas (yes with high enough rpm) and it would not change gears. I tried it staying partially on the gas and it was the same story. I personally didn't like it and would steer clear of any autoclutch unless they made a pushbutton gear selector. I used to work with a guy in Colorado who bought a hondamatic for REAL cheap to get back into motorcycles... He lived up a dirt road and after a couple rides down the hill decided to sell the hondamatic because braking to a stop on dirt/gravel and the slight engine pull (more than just no engine braking) scared the bewhoozis out of him. Long story short, being a non-noob to big heavy bikes; he replaced it with an GL1800 Goldwing. He still rode the same dirt road with street tires and told me how much more stable it felt on the same dirt/gravel road. He was in his late 50's, had suffered a couple of heart attacks, was 5'9" ish and maybe 180lbs. He was not going to muscle any bike around.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got an email back from the owner Gary. Said you basically have to send your clutch to them, they modify it, you send it back. so: 600$ plus shipping for an item I may have to get adjusted a few times to get right(per online reviews). With this setup one would still shift gears with the toe shifter, just no need for the clutch. I appreciate the positive responses. My mechanic said he's put a solenoid on a few bikes which worked way better than some revloc(s) he has installed for people.
Rider fatigue being a big contributor to wrecks, I love the idea of twist and go.
ALL automobiles were once manual shift. Once a good solid automatic came along, didnt take long for universal adoption. I think setups like the Aprillia Mana GT are the future of biking. Automatic(cvt drive) with option of using paddle shifter to up/downshift. A 125cc moped will go faster farther than our clutch tw's. (not offroad).
I definitely won't go with this setup personally. If i find a good solid one, I probably will. If I keep the tw till the day I die, what seems like a large sum of $$ will pay dividends over time as i will have enjoyed it for many many years.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Shifting a manual tranny on anything isn't voodoo, just learn how and you'll be glad ya did. Just give it a little time and you'll be shifitng with out even thinking about it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Thanks for the post AQUA! I have a friend that wishes he had an auto clutch. He is a low skill 66 year old who will probably never learn the finesse of using a clutch in difficult off road situations.

Haven't kept up with motocross much for a long time but it is my understanding that most 4 strokes use them as it's almost impossible to stall an engine with them. They otherwise use the clutch lever as they always have.

I just sent an email to the manufacturer asking if they made one that fit the TW.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Here is the response to my inquiry.............

Harold: Yes we modify the clutch you send us. 695.00 plus shipping, you will need to grind the ribs on the inside of your case also.

Thank you for the interest in EFM Auto Clutch.

Garry Buzzelli
EFM Auto Clutch Inc.
3101 State Route 14
Rootstown, Oh 44272
330 947 1700
330 947 1708 FAX

www.efmautoclutch.com

On Sep 19, 2013, at 9:20 AM, "Harold" <> wrote:
Hi,

Do you have a clutch that will fit the TW200?

Thanks, Harold

1 - 20 of 23 Posts