TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The idea of owning an electric motorcycle is getting more and more interesting to me. If they could just improve the range a little more without increasing the weight. Someday.....

Anyone have one? This looks great!

2019_zero-fx_studio_rp-wbg_4800x3200_press.jpg

·
Registered
228 Posts
Not yet....a very successful and wise CEO once told me to " Don't be the first or the last to adopt new technology, but be closer to the last as practical."

Technology will improve and costs will go down. One of the biggest PITA with any vehicle I own is the battery so I am cautious about buying battery operated vehicles.

When the major Japanese Manufactures are in the business with all their distribution advantages , I will likely buy.

·
Registered
19,406 Posts
I've heard proprietary battery packs tend to make up-grading older models impractical thus killing resale value of early generation models from reputable manufactures like Zero. Something tells me making up one's own replacement packs from individual affordable high capacity cells is a little more difficult than the days of NiCad R/C car racing.

·
Registered
19,406 Posts
Higher voltage equals more fun at lower amperages. Too bad one can't carry a bunch of hoverboard batteries like we carry RotoPaks and just plug them into bike's system in parallel or in series as needed. :p
Must be many of those 36V 4.4 amp hour packs available as manufactures geared up for the Toy of the Century a few years ago. Make them a basis for a new standard using plug-n-go short duration but lightweight interchangeable packs. Take several already charged on outings.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Laptop batteries strung together seems to be popular. With the old batteries that can only hold 75% or so of their original full charge, they're apparently no longer good for the street, but a pretty handy backup for your home, at least like one out of a Prius.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
To your question: No, not even if they make one with a 200 mile range. Just doesn't "move me".
Long live the internal combustion engine... at least till they run out of oil.

·
Registered
336 Posts
For myself, I plan on keeping most of my IC fleet, and adding some electric to the mix. Too much fun to be had on all fronts of turning power into motion for me to rule anything out. Showroom sourced electric vehicles are still in new/niche/expensive territory, but once the more mainstream manufacturers start doing things at larger scale the cost will come down. Until then, I'm probably going to DIY an electric something just to play with.

Anyone have a TW roller chassis with title they want to unload for cheap? :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
A bit outa my reach price wise and the range anxiety would give me issue.

But I can see in the future maybe having standardized battery packs. That get swapped at a “fueling station” type deal.

The massive torque of electric at starting from 0rpm intrigues me. And I have contemplated going for a test ride on a zero but have yet to do so for one reason or another.

I think sooner rather than latter I may start with building my own electric mini bike hooligan thing to play with and wet my teeth a bit to the concept.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts

·
Registered
19,406 Posts
If you wish to build our own then the proper speed controller is as important, or more so, than the power source or the motor selection.

·
Registered
439 Posts
For myself, I plan on keeping most of my IC fleet, and adding some electric to the mix. Too much fun to be had on all fronts of turning power into motion for me to rule anything out. Showroom sourced electric vehicles are still in new/niche/expensive territory, but once the more mainstream manufacturers start doing things at larger scale the cost will come down. Until then, I'm probably going to DIY an electric something just to play with.

Anyone have a TW roller chassis with title they want to unload for cheap? :)
Yep... it's an attractive transition, for sure!

In 1987, my high school auto shop teacher (Mr. Cunningham) told us that an electric car would be able to "burn rubber from here to Glenn" (about a ten mile straight run), if we only had batteries that could store that much energy....

Well, we're finally getting to that point. Check this out:

Do any of you race RC? Of those of you that do, do you still run nitro?

Nope.

I've got a T-Maxx that I can't give away, because electric dominates the industry!

Reliability is the name of the game now (as well as affordability)... and the time is coming....

If I had a 200 mile range electric trail bike that was as reliable as my 20v DeWalt power tools, I'd jump on it, and never look back!

Cheers! :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
If there were a lightweight hybrid bike of some sort, even better a diesel, that would be pretty neat. Probably too heavy to manage easily. There's a hybrid tadpole trike online that's pretty slick though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was serious about buying a zero motorcycle before I realized they have not become practical quite yet, and are NOT cost effective, even long term, even for commuting use only. They remain an expensive toy only, not that toys are bad...just be realistic about their uses. Watch this before considering a Zero motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I still want a Zero. Then I could trade it on this!

·
Registered
742 Posts
I was serious about buying a zero motorcycle before I realized they have not become practical quite yet, and are NOT cost effective, even long term, even for commuting use only. They remain an expensive toy only, not that toys are bad...just be realistic about their uses. Watch this before considering a Zero motorcycle.
$14,000 of which $9,000 is just for the battery pack. And that $9,000 9kwh battery pack is the equivalent of 12 hp for one hour.
Would you buy a motorcycle that had a $9,000 gas tank that was a significant portion of the weight of the entire bike, took many hours to refill and struggled to match the range of a peanut tank on a Sportster? I wouldn't.

Also the narrator claimed the ebike has zero emissions. That is a common refrain of e-vehicle fans, who obviously assume that the 14+ kwh of electrical power it takes to recharge a 9 kwh battery pack is free, from an environmental if not monetary standpoint. The people who believe that should go look at a coal-fired power plant.

·
Registered
334 Posts
$14,000 of which $9,000 is just for the battery pack. And that $9,000 9kwh battery pack is the equivalent of 12 hp for one hour.
Would you buy a motorcycle that had a $9,000 gas tank that was a significant portion of the weight of the entire bike, took many hours to refill and struggled to match the range of a peanut tank on a Sportster? I wouldn't.

Also the narrator claimed the ebike has zero emissions. That is a common refrain of e-vehicle fans, who obviously assume that the 14+ kwh of electrical power it takes to recharge a 9 kwh battery pack is free, from an environmental if not monetary standpoint. The people who believe that should go look at a coal-fired power plant.
I have talked about that very thing 'till I was blue in the face, FOR DECADES! No one, absolutely NO ONE, ever, EVER, talks about the COST of recharging all these electric vehicles/trucks/motorcycles etc. They never, ever admit, just what the cost and impact is on the nations, counties, local etc. electrical supply. Not to mention, the environmental impact, as you state. I feel it's not mentioned because of the "scare" of what the reality is. Recharging all those electronic vehicles etc. is NOT FREE.
Scott

1 - 20 of 21 Posts