TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My electric start randomly up and stopped working one day after a short ride, but the kick start still did so I went home and got to diagnosing. Of course, I had to do this in the least efficient way possible, so I started with disassembling the start switch to see if I had a broken wire. Nope, but I did figure out how the throttle works! An hour and a half of testing continuity in pretty much the entire harness and we get down to ONE wire going into one of the relays under the side cover. Before I have a complete breakdown and tear apart the harness looking for a broken wire, I realize I have a spare relay and decide to swap it as a test. Turns out, that was it! Bike fired right up, been great ever since. *SIGH* So, if anyone else has this problem, consider this little widget. This was on an '87 for reference and wire color.

This is it's "mate". They are right next to each other under the right side cover, by the CDI. Note the white plug on the relay and opaque plug on the harness. The one I actually swapped out is black/black, PN ACA1212-1

This is the widget itself. For whatever reason, this one has a rubber boot on it, the white-plugged one doesn't:

·
Registered
6 Posts
This just happened to me, here are some pic’s to help. Everything worked fine on my TW and all the sudden no electric start and weak lights and no turn signals. I’ll upload picks tomorrow but it’s the middle of the 3 relays in the right side cover next to the battery.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Well,
First off, this is good to know. Second, while the original post was done 9 years ago, I have a question. The original poster said this happened on his " '87 " TW. Now, I'm not the most knowledgeable about each year of production of the Yamaha TW but, I thought the first year or two of production of the TW was around '87 and, I was also under the impression that they didn't have ELECTRIC start back then, only kick start. Then, in the next couple of years, as in around '89-91 or so, they added electric start to the kick start system so, for a short while, TW's were produced with both starting systems. Then, sometime shortly after those years, Yamaha eliminated the kick start altogether and only provided TWs with electric start. I'll have to go back and find that thread that has the differences in TWs by the years.
Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeh funny how old topics get reinspired. Here are some pic's, the starter relay is the one with the 2 blue, 1 black and 1 brown wire that my screw driver is pointing to. Mine was clicking when the bike was running and I was able to feel it with my finger. I have a new relay coming this week and hope it works.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well unfortunately it didn't work. So I'm not sure what it could be at this point. Any suggestions? I'll search through this forum but basically nothing is happening when I turn the key to "on". No lights no nothing. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If it’s completely dead, no lights etc, then start with the basics.
Check your battery voltage (engine off) . Should be just over 12V. Clean terminals.
Check your main Earth points.
Check main fuse.
Check continuity of ignition switch.

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
At the fattireconversions.com web site they have the service manual for the BW200 and BW350 bikes. Those have that same relay and there is a section in the online service manual showing how to test the relay off the bike. I had a bad relay and a spare that was also bad and at the OEM suppliers they wanted over $50 for a new one. On ebay I found aftermarket ones that have the same connectors and work perfect for around $8 each so I bought 3 of them to get the free shipping on orders over $25.

GaryL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the reply, turned out it was the main fuse, the little 10 amp glass cylinder inside the small clear plastic case with the funny tiny metal circlips holding the fuse to the terminals on the wires. I'm assuming mine was never opened and there was a spare fuse that I used, it's a crazy little design they got going on there, it's super basic and cool but odd in an old school kind of way, like something my grandfather would have done, those tiny circlips assure the fuse doesn't rattle out of the holder and cause the bike to die mid ride. I'll try to post some pics when I attempt to put back those tiny circlips but it seems to hold together ok with the clear plastic case clamped shut, it started right up after replacing the fuse with the spare and no issues going forward. Just a crazy design that is worth noting if you like that kind of stuff. Talk soon...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is an 1987 only design because the main fuse on newer bikes it on the starter solenoid and it's the square plastic kind like you see in a car if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm having issues with mine not starting when pressing the button, however the lights etc all work when the ignition is on. Trying to figure it out. Anyone had that happen?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts