TW200 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
And your sure of a good signal for CDI to use? I’ve found pick ups before..
I'm just going back to the proper Yamaha CDI, I don't know what went wrong with the Chinese CDI, it has a good reputation for working well but it did not work for me.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
I'm just going back to the proper Yamaha CDI, I don't know what went wrong .....
I tired the Ignitech programmable CDI.

The TW ran fine with the Ignitech but when I programmed in wildly absurd timing curves it didn't seem to make any difference. It could be my very old lap top was unable to work with the CDI. I ended up going back to a stock Yamaha CDI and putting the Ignitech CDI on the shelf to be played with some other time.

Thanks for keeping us informed of your efforts. I was very interested in the outcome. Sorry to hear it didn't work out. Tony

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Maybe your burning up those CDI with all that high speed. I've never had an issue with mine (1993) so hopefully you get a good one that lasts the rest of your bikes life.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The issue is that Yamaha uses very non-normal timing pluses. One at 10°btdc and one at 70°btdc. I am not aware of any aftermarket CDI that will work on Yamaha. The CDI delays the 70° signal to the proper timing based on rpm. That is how it 'advances' the timing, it really delays it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The issue is that Yamaha uses very non-normal timing pluses. One at 10°btdc and one at 70°btdc. I am not aware of any aftermarket CDI that will work on Yamaha. The CDI delays the 70° signal to the proper timing based on rpm. That is how it 'advances' the timing, it really delays it.
Yes, Yamaha is different, that's for sure, I ordered a new CDI from you on ebay a week ago my brother, the only problem is that ebay is not shipping to South Africa at the moment because of the lockdown so now I'm using a parcel forwarding service in the US to forward the CDI to me via FedEx so hopefully it will arrive in about a week's time over here.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts