TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Read Only
Thats an ugly little fucker though. It has to have form AND function for me. If something doesn't look good, I don't even put it in the category for consideration. Just like tje first gen Honda Insight: also gets about 80 mpg, but is the ugliest little bastard Honda's made in a while- so no.

Now if Aptera hadn't gone under...
That's a silly 3 wheel electric I can get behind.

Read Only
My current vehicles already average 45 mpg...when all 8 of them are combined and averaged out.
And that. If you need something efficient, go buy a diesel Jetta or something. 50 mpg may not be 80, but you can carry more than one person AND survive an accident.

Or you can just ride a TW. That'll do 80 mpg all day.

Registered
I think it's a great idea especially for Prius/ Volt/ Leaf customers. Also Smart Car customers. I would like to see this and other three wheeled cars absolutely kill sales of those cars to the point that they become obsolete.
For those who don't know, the reason this car has three wheels is so it can be legally classified as a motorcycle. That is the only way a lightweight, efficient car can be legally sold in the USA. The "Smart Car" could be under $10,000 and get 100 mpg. But then it wouldn't be legal in the US because it wouldn't meet the standards that dictate an automobile must be bloated, inefficient, complicated and expensive. That's not how those laws are worded, of course. But that is the effect of them.

Would I buy and drive one? No. I'm not in the small-car market. When I'm not driving a ton truck or a jeep, I ride a motorcycle. If I wanted a very small, very fuel efficient car, I would build a Locost 7 with a 2 cylinder turbo diesel engine in it. That should be good for over 100 mpg.

Read Only
But then it wouldn't be legal in the US because it wouldn't meet the standards that dictate an automobile must be bloated, inefficient, complicated and expensive. That's not how those laws are worded, of course. But that is the effect of them.
i.e. safe. The reason the campagna Trex, Polaris Slingshot, Morgan Threewheeler, Scorpion P6 [omg want], and the like are made as 3 wheelers are so that they can be sold as motorcycles like you said. As such, they don't need crumplezones, airbags, or even seatbelts; thus lighter and faster. These things are more often than not sold to people with more money than sense, and I feel the Prius crowd (the people with more first-world eco-guilt than sense) wouldn't accept such things after they hear their dumb eco-buddies are dying in collisions.

Registered
I have been look'n at the Elio now for a while. I believe the reverse trike design would be much more stable than the Reliant type design. Also I read the safety claims of Elio, does not sound too bad. If we're to be honest on the safety question, all accidents have the potential to be lethal, crumple zones, air bags, etc. can improve your luck somewhat, the rest is often in the hands of god.

Safe, INEXPENSIVE, reliable transportation would be nice. But when you have to pay nearly $20K for a Toyota Yaris, something is WRONG!!

If that Elio was all they hope to achieve, and it was comfortable to drive / travel in, I'd have one. & I bet I could pull it with my Mini-Winnie! :cool: m.

Registered
Yes. Not quite 20k but close enough... We paid 13k for our 2008. It's been a great car, and I'd buy a 2016 if I could still get it for that 'round here.

The appeal of the Elio to me is if it lives up to the Mfg's claims, I could see myself packing a bag & blasting off for a trip to see friends etc. for very little $$. Also short trips to the store, ect. I know this could be done with the Yaris... Maybe my logic is a false economy? Or the new toy factor? One thing for sure is I would like to see it make it, & I would like to drive one to see if it was for me. m.

Registered
I've been keeping my eyes on these because of features vs price as a little, reliable TW tower (I hope). I'm actually a little disappointed that they're really not as small as they appear - it's about as long as my wife's Prelude, at about 2/3 the width. Pretty nice inside, though, both front and back (I got to sit in one the last time they demo'd in the City).

Registered
Answer to the original question: No.

Because I have something that gets 80 mpg, cost under $4000 to me, and is paid for. And is a whole lot more narrow and stable than that thing is likely to be.

I have a truck for when that won't work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts