1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I've posted this survival shelter many times but since we have many new members I'll repost. It's weighs 1 lb with the 550 cord needed to setup.

Here's a picture of our winter camping trip three years ago where the temperature got down to -10. We had a blast!!! In extreme conditions you learn fast what works and what don't.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

If you would like to join us next year. We will be camping at Devils Nose WV on the weekend of the full moon, February 10-12 2017.

·
Registered
13,645 Posts
Have one you'd like to share?

Please do!!

The life you save might be your own.

Number 1.

Starting a fire...

You Can Make Fire With Little More Than a Plastic Bag

:)
I wonder if one can use the sandwich bag or a magnifying lens and skip the bark powder and advance directly to the dry grass stage. I would think the grass would start burning as well without hosting the embers. Guess I could try it. Nice thing to know with the samich bag lens trick.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Great trick no doubt about it. Hard to justify venturing out into the wild without waterproof matches or a mini Bic lighter though. Furthermore the sun is seldom shining during the coldest hours when fire becomes critically important. Be prepared out there boys and girls.

Tom

·
Registered
20,177 Posts
As a young pup had a poorly erected 5 mil plastic tarp shelters burst under a wet snow load giving me a surprise soaking about 3 A.M. The next several hours until dawn seemed to take forever huddled under a tree in a wet cotton bag with one missing shoe. Lessons learned: When things look stormy spend more effort in preparations and avoid cotton.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Take a few small bags of fritos. They light easily and burn like a lamp wick. Starting a fire is much easier with them. Having a small tarp to lie down on and wrap over you in a bag keeps you dry and a bit warmer. A tent roof works, but lets the wind blow through and mosquitoes in after you if you are just using a tarp.
If I took Fritos into the woods with me I would wind up trying to ignite my poop! :D

Tom

·
Super Moderator
17,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine would have been eaten long before I reached the woods. I wonder if Donuts ignite? :D
Take a few small bags of fritos. They light easily and burn like a lamp wick. Starting a fire is much easier with them. Having a small tarp to lie down on and wrap over you in a bag keeps you dry and a bit warmer. A tent roof works, but lets the wind blow through and mosquitoes in after you if you are just using a tarp.
If I took Fritos into the woods with me I would wind up trying to ignite my poop! :D

Tom

·
Registered
6,406 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Blowfish.jpg Every time I ride my bike I wear a small backpack with some essentials. Even when just riding to the store. I like the added degree of protection wearing a backpack, plus its handy for all the little EDC things. Keys, wallet, knife, chapstick, etc.
I don't like to ride with things in my pockets. I currently use a CamelBak Blowfish. They are pretty durable, and last at least a couple years of daily use. They are expandable, and can hold some groceries and a gallon of milk if needed.

Some things I have inside include................
First Aid Kit, Spare Key, Master Link, Water Bottle w/Duct Tape wrapped on it, Spare Fuel Filter, Leatherman Multi-Tool, Zip Ties, 1AAA Flashlight & Headlamp, 20 Ft. Paracord, Water Filter Straw, VHF/UHF Transceiver, Cell Phone, Lighter, Sharpie Marker, Matches, Granola bar, Jerky, Cable w/Master Lock, Heavy Duty Trash Bag, and probably a few other odds & ends.

All this stuff fits within the smaller zipper compartment of the pack, and still gives me the large compartment for my jacket, groceries, or whatever gear needed on that ride.

I have a pretty well stocked first aid kit, which is a survival kit in itself. Ill have to make another post with the contents of it.

I am also glad I had this filter when I ran out of water on a 100+ mile/ 9 hour ride up into the Eastern Sierra Mountains. I would have drank right from the streams if I had to, but glad I had it.
https://www.amazon.com/Aquamira-Frontier-Water-Filter/dp/B017JL5JF8/ref=pd_sim_468_2/151-1447713-4750535?ie=UTF8&refRID=GPSWC6P29K6PR9E4DE11

·
Super Moderator
17,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
88 Posts
Two things every rider needs in a secure pocket on their person (not inside a tank bag from which you get separated in a crash): cell phone and a typical referee's whistle. Folks have died after crashing into a ravine and not being found until after it's too late. If you're all busted up with broken bones and unable to crawl to the bike, one of those two things could save your life.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
water to drink?
i'm made a solar still before burying the edge of the plastic over a hole... this is a different, and easier take. as productive, not sure.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Know how to identify the North Star.

image.jpeg

Getting turned around in the woods can be scary. Another identifying ways to find north in the woods where I hunt is that moss growing on the north side of the trees. Of course you better know which direction is out to get back to your truck or a road.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Down here moss grows all the way around the trunk. Guess that's why I'm so screwed up.
In Florida you have it made! Just follow the blue hairs. They head north in the spring and south in the fall. Geesh, I thought everybody knew that. :p

Tom

1 - 20 of 21 Posts