TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,865 Posts
Hi welcome. Were you able to get all the screws out? If so then use a flat screw driver carefully in the slot around the end casting and the muffler body. You can tap it in several places with a hammer or mallet around the end piece and it should slide off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,769 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
The cap is really in there tight = I used a small spray of silicon around the seam (after taking out bolts) and then used a screw driver to start splitting open moving an inch at a time around the edge - use silicone spray to help with reinstallation also.

Oh, and welcome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,865 Posts
I forgot they use silicone sealant on that end cap and recommend putting some back on it when installing it. I have some small leaks that don’t bother me after I installed the quiet cores. The sealant will make it harder to get off the first time if it hasn’t been removed yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,865 Posts
Sararae88 any luck getting your quiet core put in?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Sara,

I have a stainless DG type O muffler with a quiet core... As you found out while taking it apart, there is a small amount of silicone between the end cap and outer stainless housing...

I found that my quiet core loosened up and become pretty annoying and rattle pretty bad as it sits in the end cap. For that reason I just took mine out and after wiping it down well, I put a small amount of hight temp silicone all the way around the outer flange of the core before inserting it into the end cap... I then put another ring of high temp silicone around the inside of the quiet core flange where the wire screen goes in and holds the core in place.

I then used a bit of what was remaining of the small tube of hi-temp lightly around the end cap before replacing it back in the outer housing and replacing and tightening those allen head screws.... after allowing 24 hours to cure the quiet core is sealed very well and no longer rattles around where it comes thru the end cap.

After a couple days on the bike totalling 50-60 miles, it still sits very securely, does not appear to be leaking around the protruding portion of the core as it comes through the end cap like is was while viberating and does not move at all anymore.

So I'm considering it good fix..... I'm only mentioning this as you may want to take that those steps also as you put yours back together.
( It may save you re-doing it at some point in the future. ) ;)

excalibur
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top