TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to the forum.

I have a 1998 TW200 that I bought 3 months ago and it was running great for the past 3 months until yesterday. I hadn't started it for about two weeks and it was hard to get started yesterday. I runs nice while idling but when I put it in gear and accelerate it sputters and almost dies. When I go back to very low acceleration it runs ok. Anyone have a similar problem or knows what the problem is? I could take it to my garage but if it's something I can fix myself I'd like to do that although I'm not a very good mechanic.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hi,

I'm new to the forum.

I have a 1998 TW200 that I bought 3 months ago and it was running great for the past 3 months until yesterday. I hadn't started it for about two weeks and it was hard to get started yesterday. I runs nice while idling but when I put it in gear and accelerate it sputters and almost dies. When I go back to very low acceleration it runs ok. Anyone have a similar problem or knows what the problem is? I could take it to my garage but if it's something I can fix myself I'd like to do that although I'm not a very good mechanic.

Classic symptoms of crap in the carburetor. Or water in the tank. If my bike did that I'd drain the tank and the float bowl, get new fuel with Seafoam, and run it around the block a couple of times.

But be ready to open the carb & do some cleaning. (buy gaskets)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Just a couple more q's .

Is there a time lag between giving it throttle and it cutting out?

Do you have a aftermarket inline fuel filter on your bike?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies. The first thought I had was water in the gas but wasn't sure. I don't see an inline fuel filter between the tank and carb. I don't think there is a lag after I accelerate. I will try draining the tank and cleaning the carb. Where can I buy the gaskets online for the carb?

·
Registered
136 Posts
what you discribed is a clogged main jet. Real easy fix. loosen the carb clamps and throttle cable and drain . Then twist the carb so you can remove the bottom. unscrew the main jet and clean the dirt out. Doing it this way you don't need to remove the carb from the bike.

Let us know how you make out.

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts