TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am doing a top end rebuild and clutch pack work on the Tdub. Looking at a couple of options for the gaskets. There are various brands of full engine gasket sets available plus buying one by one oem Yamaha gaskets.
Would appreciate any thoughts or experiences with brands such as Vesrah, Athena, Moose, Winderosa, etc. Or just go the oem route?
Especially the head and cylinder gaskets. Trying to avoid gasket problems.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
20,696 Posts
Hello, I am doing a top end rebuild and clutch pack work on the Tdub. Looking at a couple of options for the gaskets. There are various brands of full engine gasket sets available plus buying one by one oem Yamaha gaskets.
Would appreciate any thoughts or experiences with brands such as Vesrah, Athena, Moose, Winderosa, etc. Or just go the oem route?
Especially the head and cylinder gaskets. Trying to avoid gasket problems.

Thanks
Hard to beat OEM. Elime would have a good answer to this one or TW-Brian I believe.

Reactions: oldworld 124

·
Registered
2021 TW
400 Posts
I second littletommy. The oem gaskets are by far the best but Yamaha is $roud of them and charges accordingly. For the base and head gasket I would use oem. I believe Yamaha has updated those two gaskets the aftermarket folks may not have.For the case and cover gaskets aftermarket is ok.
Vesra for aftermarket is the best I have used on different bikes and you get a whole set for the price of a couple oem.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I did pricing for the oem gaskets to make a kit and Athena and Vesrah full kits. Quite a difference. Now what?

·
Super Moderator
20,696 Posts
Thanks guys. I did pricing for the oem gaskets to make a kit and Athena and Vesrah full kits. Quite a difference. Now what?
Up to you bro!!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Myself I would buy the vesrah full gasket kit ....
An oem Yamaha head gasket and base gasket .....
Hang the vesrah head gasket and base gasket on the fridge or something ...
Yes it will cost a little extra ...
Piece of mind ------- priceless
But that's just me........
mike from NC

Reactions: littletommy

·
Super Moderator
20,696 Posts
salabim said they have been upgraded.

Reactions: Ken

·
Super Moderator
20,696 Posts
The cost of buying a vesrah or athena kit and then the oem head gasket and base gasket is pretty close to buying all oem gaskets.
Go for it then.
There had been a problem with the base gasket leaking a long time ago, but this was because the cases didn't match correctly and one was a smidgin higher than the other, but this has been corrected on later models. I think they made the gasket a little thicker after that also, but don't quote me on that...

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha TW200
70 Posts
My 3 wheeler was leaking after Athena gaskets. Replaced with Honda oem and resolved everything.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I use the cheapest gaskets I can find and apply either Form-a-gasket #2 non hardening or aluminum anti seize, depending if there's pressure or not. Since 1971 this has never failed me.

·
Super Moderator
15,168 Posts
I like OEM and i was told to get a 2010 or newer base gasket as some places might have old stock on the shelf
Yeah, this was what I read on the forum way back when on my 2005 TW once it started leaking. I replaced it with a 2010 base gasket and never had a leak again.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Yeah, this was what I read on the forum way back when on my 2005 TW once it started leaking. I replaced it with a 2010 base gasket and never had a leak again.
Same here on two bikes....

Personally i would go OEM on the gaskets. For a top end and clutch job you do not need a complete gasket set anyway, you just need the base gacket, head gasket, oil passage o-rings and the clutch cover gasket. The cam cover and oil filter cover are re-usable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts