TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 tw 1700 miles. it's always been the case that if I open the throttle just a teeny tiny little bit when I'm cruising in 5th gear then I can feel the engine kind of sputter and slightly hesitate----say 1/20th open throttle (my hunch, not measured). now, that hesitation zone seems to be getting bigger---say 1/8th open. I hope that description makes sense to someone. can I adjust the throttle somehow to fix this? is it something other than the throttle? Am I crazy & nothing's wrong? haven't touched the carb at all, everything stock. thanks for your time & expertise!!!

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
If your carb is completely stock, what you are experiencing is a "lean surge".

It can be corrected by adjusting the low speed fuel/air screw located under a plug on the bottom of the carb.

Jb

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
There's a bit more to optimizing your carb for your location, but the fuel screw is a good starting place.

Lzrdbrth gives a good expiation of how to adjust the idle mixture screw (fuel screw).

He has a different carb than you, but the procedure is the same.

http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/5989-paper-clip-in-my-93-carb/page__view__findpost__p__59032

You might like to read the sticky in the Tech section on tuning.

You said the problem seems to be getting worse. This may be an indication that the internals of the carb are getting dirty. Adding a couple of ounces of Seafoam, or other fuel system cleaner, to the gas tank would be helpful.

Jb

·
Registered
173 Posts
If your carb is completely stock, what you are experiencing is a "lean surge".

It can be corrected by adjusting the low speed fuel/air screw located under a plug on the bottom of the carb.

Jb

I drilled the plug out on the bike using the Milwaukee right angle drill adapter with a tec-screw for the drill bit. Worked great. OM

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Boy JBFLA, everytime I see your carb pictures I am sooo impressed. Clear, clean and so well presented. TW folks that happen upon your pictorials are so lucky as resolution is now within reach. Gerry

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Boy JBFLA, everytime I see your carb pictures I am sooo impressed. Clear, clean and so well presented. TW folks that happen upon your pictorials are so lucky as resolution is now within reach. Gerry
Thanks, Gerry.

What you are seeing is the end result of many not-so-good photos.

Jb

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ran through a whole tank with the appropriate amount of sea foam in there, seems to have solved 75% of the problem. the rest I'll just chalk up to colder weather. will experiment with tuning the carb in the summer if I get up enough nerve. thanks again for your time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts