TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

what is your favorite engine size?

• 50 ccs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 125 ccs

• 250 ccs

• 500 ccs

• unlimited ccs

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
There is a time and a place for everything, including large displacement motorcycles. I dream of a long-stroke torquey touring bike, maybe 1600-1800cc. Liquid cooling would protect my feet from excess engine heat. 100lbs-ft of torque should do, with a peak about 3000rpm. A horizontally opposed double-throw crank would be nice, an inherently balanced engine design, best way in the world to keep the center of mass low, a key to highway stability, stable cornering, and easy low-speed handling. A pair of overhead valves in each head would flow sufficient air for the tractor-like power curve I envision, and the overhead valve configuration would allow for a single, centrally located cam to promote mass centering and an over-all thinner engine than OHC. Hydraulic cam followers would never need adjusting. Twin-throttle body EFI would provide instant throttle response and good fuel efficiency. Dual exhaust with reverse cone megaphones would provide a wide powerband, and Corvair turbo-type muffler baffles would keep the sound down to a subdued chug-chug-chug, kind of like a TW with a quiet can running at twice the RPM. A 6-speed trans would provide a low 1st for towing a trailer when loaded and a high 6th for loafing down the highway without a load. The 4 middle gears would take care of any other riding conditions, and 4 would be more than necessary considering the wide powerband such an engine would make. Shaft drive for low maintenance, of course.

The frame should include tool-less adjustment of preload on both ends, because the bike would likely see a wide variety of load conditions ranging from a solo rider with no luggage to loaded for long term moto-camping while trailering a TW200. Triple discs and ABS mandatory, electric brakes on the trailer, too. Perhaps a 150/80R17 front tire--a common size with a wide selection of high-mileage touring tires. A 240/55R16 rear, or even a P235/60R15 passenger car tire that would provide long life, good traction, and low cost. Good wind protection and a comfortable seat at a low height with a comfortable upright position, volumnous luggage with the option of a secondary top box instead of a passenger seat when riding solo, and a minimum 35 amp regulated alternator. Running boards and drop guards with highway pegs would be nice. Limit electronics and instrumentation to a basic speedometer with odo, dual trip, coolant temp, oil pressure, battery volt, and fuel level gauges, with idiot lights for high beam, turn, reverse, and neutral, and maybe a few power points for add-ons, like a sound system, cell, and/or GPS. All gauge and indicator lights should be LED equivalents of a 2-element turn/tail bulb, with a daylight sensor to trigger dim mode at night and bright mode during day. Lighting should be dual HID high/low and HID auxilary lights with a flat-topped low-beam pattern. Triple sequential LED turns at each position should also function as running lights, front and rear. Auxilary sequential LED turn/brake with running function should be mounted on the top box. Double LED tail/brake should provide 5 rapid flashes before going solid. All external LEDs should meett SAE Class 1 specifications for emergency vehicles.

Yup, there is a reason for a large displacement motorcycle. When I win the lottery I'll build one. Maybe two.

I agree with Phelonius that a TW350 would give away nothing of the current TW200 goodness while adding tremendously to its current level of functionality.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.