TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried searching the forum for engine oil info, but it wont allow searching three letter words (oil)...

I just want to know if I can use one of these (since they are already in my workshop, or if I need motorcycle specific oil.

Thanks.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I trust Rotella T over the Amsoil because the Amsoil might be 'gasoline car' oil with additives that'll make your clutch slip.

I'm pretty sure Rotella T will work fine in the TW as it's diesel oil (Used that stuff in my TDI VW.)

Given the prices on the jugs, I presume this stuff is over ten years old??

I'm running Rotella 15w40 in my TW and the clutch is fine. I use it because it's cheap and universal for all of my old air cooled motorcycles. I haven't had it not work in anything yet.

The worst that will happen is your clutch starts to slip and then you need to drain the oil and put something else in there to make it stop happening.

I like heavier weight oil in old machinery (or old fashioned machinery like this) which is why I'm using 15 weight.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Use motorcycle specific.....Amsoil sells it!.Also,use the "weight" specified in the manual....can't go wrong.

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
I used Rotella T6 in all my motorcycles. It's my understanding that T6 used to just be "T" before they made a variety of blends. T6 is full synthetic, and "T" was full synthetic.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The good news is that a wide range of oil will work for you. I spent years paying too much for Kawachem and Yamalube (dino oils for motorcycles sold at retail shops.)

Then I switched to Rotella 15w40 diesel oil by the gallon from Wal*Mart or the local parts stores. And... No difference. My motorcycles run fine and have not lost power, had clutches slip, etc...

I qualify the statement by saying I'm using it in old, air-cooled stuff like 1970s Japanese bikes and my 1970s Vespa scooters.

When I had my 2007 sport bike, I ponied up for Mobil One synthetic motorcycle oil.

The worst that'll happen if you're close on weight 5 weight - 20 weight is that your clutch will slip or chatter. The fix is simply to put in the right oil the next time.

Don't do anything crazy like use 80w90 gear oil or a liter of turpentine and you'll be fine
I've taken to calling my TW "Russian military surplus" because I think it just doesn't really care what you do to it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well... I got too impatient to wait for a lot of replies...

I dumped in the quart of Rotella T.

I'm sure it will be fine for the engine. If the clutch starts slipping, I'll report back.

I don't ride hard, so I might not even notice a slipping clutch anyway.

BTW, what is the expected clutch life on these things anyway? I know driving style and all, but are they 3,000 mile clutches, or 30,000?

·
Super Moderator
1,912 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
The clutches are reported to last a long time. I think I saw someone say he had 40k miles on his bike with the original clutch plates. They're also cheap and easy to change out, so it's good news all around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts