TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a good heat-resistant engine paint. The Duplicolor black is too dull and brown?

Thanx for any info,

Retro

·
Registered
112 Posts
Visit your local Harley-Davidson shop and pick up a can of their wrinkle black spray paint. It is the same thing Mother Motor (H-D) uses on the engine and cases of all their bikes with black motors. It looks fantastically black with no reddish brown like most high temp paints. It wrinkles best on warm parts(around 200°-225°)and should be applied in a medium-thick coat. Ask the service guys how to apply it, since they should have a few pointers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've seen some pics where the engine & pipe are painted and it looks great. Someone recommended heat resistant paint (not rattle can, just paint brush on from the can) for stove pipes. I was thinking of trying this. Does anyone have recommendations on painting the engine/pipe in general? I have almost no mechanical experience, and I'm honestly not exactly sure what to paint and not paint. Total newbie question I know, but gotta start somewhere! Any tips appreciated; the more detail, the better

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I'm no mechanic or the like ,but the info above is accurate!.You can paint any part you wish.....,use the proper "type" of paint.If your planning on striping the current paint off,disassemble and sand blast.If your wanting to leave the engine intact and on the frame....alot of taping off involved etc. it can be done,just use the correct paint for the temp involved.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Gotta love the TW forum; we not only have people but cats and frogs too!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I just painted my engine with VHT engine enamel and the pipe with VHT header paint. The engine paint holds up nice. But let it set up for those 7 days. If you start putting it on the frame or riding it a day later, you will chip the paint with any dings or rocks. Same goes with the pipe. Make sure you follow the directions and cure it in the oven. I did a test on my other enduro and you can tell if you did it right or not. I got both at AutoZone, about $8 a can.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts