TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im in the process of removing my engine so I can paint the frame and give the bike a much needed refresh. I am attempting to take out the bolt which runs through the swingarm and the rear of the engine. I made the mistake of first taking all the othe bolts off and trying to pound out the long swing arm bolt with the engine supported using a jack. I then put all the bolts back in and attempted to pull it. I can only get the bolt to move about .75 inches. It seems stuck. Has anyone else had this issue? Could I have bent that long bolt by pounding on it initially?

I can't fathom what I am missing....?

On a side note, this tw has been through hell and back. It's been abandoned in the wilderness of kodiak Alaska and been brought back from the dead once. Trying to bring it back again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, im in the process of removing my engine so I can paint the frame and give the bike a much needed refresh. I am attempting to take out the bolt which runs through the swingarm and the rear of the engine. I made the mistake of first taking all the othe bolts off and trying to pound out the long swing arm bolt with the engine supported using a jack. I then put all the bolts back in and attempted to pull it. I can only get the bolt to move about .75 inches. It seems stuck. Has anyone else had this issue? Could I have bent that long bolt by pounding on it initially?

On a side note, this tw has been through hell and back. It's been abandoned in the wilderness of kodiak Alaska and been brought back from the dead once. Trying to bring it back again.

try pulling the grease fittings out and then spray penetrating oil anywhere you can get to.the bolt gets buildup on it then it gets hung up in the bushings. let it soak a bit then tap all the way in then out back and forth to break loose the gunk holding it.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
If it has come out about 3/4" then it has probably cleared the left side of the frame and may have allowed the swingarm to get slightly cocked a bit and trapping the swingarm bolt. Use a flashlight and see if the threaded end of the bolt is off center with respect to the hole on the frame. If so, try to get lined up as best you can before doing any more pounding. If you are able get it reasonably centered, have someone use an electric or air impact wrench to get the bolt spinning while you add some controlled persuasion to the threaded end. That bolt is pretty beefy so it is probably not bent but is just bound up due to misalignment of the frame/swingarm/engine crankcase.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum!

Brian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
try pulling the grease fittings out and then spray penetrating oil anywhere you can get to.the bolt gets buildup on it then it gets hung up in the bushings. let it soak a bit then tap all the way in then out back and forth to break loose the gunk holding it.
Do the grease fittings just screw out? That's an idea I hadn't thought of. Thanks, much appreciated

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it has come out about 3/4" then it has probably cleared the left side of the frame and may have allowed the swingarm to get slightly cocked a bit and trapping the swingarm bolt. Use a flashlight and see if the threaded end of the bolt is off center with respect to the hole on the frame. If so, try to get lined up as best you can before doing any more pounding. If you are able get it reasonably centered, have someone use an electric or air impact wrench to get the bolt spinning while you add some controlled persuasion to the threaded end. That bolt is pretty beefy so it is probably not bent but is just bound up due to misalignment of the frame/swingarm/engine crankcase.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum!

Brian
It's almost past the left side of the frame. It's pretty much flush. I think everything is lined up correctly. I'm just shocked how much force it takes to move. Thanks for the forum welcome. I'm gonna try take tw-brians advice and try some pb blaster in the grease fittings for a bit. Then I'll smash with a 4lb hammer and see how it goes.

·
Registered
21,491 Posts
Don't forget to spin bolt counterclockwise as you apply some controlled percussive persuasion. Spinning threads may just walk off whatever is binding. Hopefully corrosion on the shaft is not causing the binding; if so more percussive persuasion may be needed. Support bike well during this.

Reactions: aceofnone82

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't forget to spin bolt counterclockwise as you apply some controlled percussive persuasion. Spinning threads may just walk off whatever is binding. Hopefully corrosion on the shaft is not causing the binding; if so more percussive persuasion may be needed. Support bike well during this.
Did some spinning, smashing, and a bunch of pb blaster. Finally got it out

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did this, it worked, the advice is much appreciated. Now the real work can begin:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts