TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys ... I just picked up a 2005, TW200 - it's electric start only and is it's in awesome condition except for the engine, It's going to need a carb, piston and cylinder at the very minimum The crank seems to be seized as well The story goes it that water entered the carb during a flood. I pulled the head and jug they are pretty rough. The carb is shot. My thoughts are to replace the engine with something a bit more powerful, perhaps a 225 or 250 ... does anyone have any ideas, suggestions or experience in this swap ? I would be content to swap it out for a kick start only engine as well ... I'm open to all schools of thought and welcome and and all advice .. as a last resort, I will tear down the engine and attempt a rebuild ... Thanks Mike

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
Mykie,
There are a lot of threads with many ideas. It's not a real easy task, mostly because there is no cheap easily available bolt up solution. Rather than starting another thread do a search there is another good one going now. I would suggest seeing what it would take to get what you have going. The stock engine is more than capable for the suspension that the bike has. It gets the job done. If you become an addict like some if us you may want to go all out but one thing leads to and needs another. Going faster off-road warrants better suspension etc.

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
Keep an eye on Craigslist too. Parts bikes show up pretty often. You can search the forum with the advanced search up on the top of the main page.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Bananachunks, TWBrian, several others have done the "bigger is better" thing. Look for their threads using the TTR225 engine.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
....and XT225/Serows engine. (Same thing as the TTR practically sort of)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
It's no big deal to repair the engine.

- buy a oversize piston
- a gasket kit
- give the cylinder and piston to a engine repair shop
-->> Cylinder is repaired

The crank:
Be sure, that there is a damaged on the crank.
If yes:
- buy a con rod kit by ProX or TKRJ
(different names, but both are the same. TKRJ is making con rod kits for ProX, only the box is a different one)
- give the con rod kit and the crank to a engine repair shop
-->> crank is repaired

An other option is to buy a used XT/TTR 225 crank shaft to get a bit more stroke.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks ... this is very helpful and opens a lot of options. I was hoping I would be able to find a running 225 or 250 en=gine and just " bolt it in " It looks like I'm going to have to split the cases and get dirty LOL Thanks again Mike

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
Me too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts