TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I rode about two miles to a little trail and was doing a little slow riding on some rocky terrain, I'm not that experienced so I probably let off the clutch when I shouldn't have maybe 8-10 times and the engine stalled and shut off. I didn't think much of it and after 20 minutes or so I got back on the road and stopped at a stop sign and tried when I let off the clutch in first gear and began to accelerate the engine stalled and shut off before I got above 3-4 mph. I tried this 5 or 6 times and got the same result every time. I have never experienced this in 4 months of having my bike (a 2005 TW200 with ~4500 miles) and wanted to see if anyone could guess what it might be. After thinking for 5 minutes or so on the side of the road I was able to start from a standstill and go straight into 2nd gear and then ride for another 5 minutes where I had to stop and then I didn't have the problem anymore.

I'm not that technically savvy, though I'm working on it, but could the transmission have overheated or is there something I may have done to the 1st gear by stalling out so many times in a short period? Besides not doing this again, is there anything I should do, check specific fluids or areas to make sure the bike is good to go?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Possibly but I don't think so, I rode again today for another 30 miles or so still on the main fuel switch and it was fine. Though it could have been something to do with the fuel not going to the engine correctly with all the rocky terrain I suppose.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
clifgray;93024 Though it could have been something to do with the fuel not going to the engine correctly with all the rocky terrain I suppose.[/QUOTE said:
The only reason that rocky uneven terrain could affect fuel flow is if the float is not working correctly, either not letting in enough fuel (float set too low or sticking) or letting in too much (sticking or too high a level). When on the level it might not be noticeable but when lurching around in the rocks it would....particularly a sticky float needle.

The only other thing I can think of is getting it REALLY hot, but that's so unlikely this time of year. There is nothing you could have done to the tranny on these things short of using a 10 lb. maul! If your bike has ever sat for more than a month I would have a look at the carb. If you don't want to get into that try a tankful of Seafoam. It could also just have been some old Ethanol fuel in there.....terrible stuff to leave in your tank for more than a few weeks.:mad:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
just a guess being that you were on rocky terrain and such. Check the kickstand and see if it goes up completely and that there is nothing that would keep it from closing the switch there. could just need a cleaning. Sometimes it is the simple things that will make a person go crazy trying to figure it out. Just a bounce could shut it down or also make it work just fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts