TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Just got a TW200 second hand, 2008 model, 14'000 km. Bike was standling for longer period. After full service the engine idels perfect and drives perfect in lower speed. As soon I go in higher gears and more speed the engine stops randomly. Battery is still a bit flat. Need to kick start it. When engine stops it helps sometimes to switch the ignition off and on again to get it restarted... Sometimes it is hard to get it restarted. Is that a fuel line problem or does it sound like a CDI problem Any advise? Something else I realized, both front indicators are lightly dimmed and always on. Is that normal? Thanks. Casi

·
Super Moderator
19,093 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D It's always best to go through a bike totally when you get a "new to you" used one. You might consider having the battery tested at a local auto parts shop. Then go through the whole bike, valve adjustment, plug check, carb clean and adjust, etc. The CDI is most likely ok, just do a tune up. You might try some SeaFoam or Lucus Carb Cleaner. Use a strong dose. Hope this helps!!

Reactions: elime

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Just a thought.....

Intermittent short in one of the switches?

ignition switch
kickstand switch
clutch switch
run-stop switch

jb

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
Sounds like a fuel thing. I'd suggest taking the carb apart and make sure everything is clean/not blocked and nothing is broken/missing and then see if the problem persists after that.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My TW started dying on the freeway. I was convinced it was a fuel problem. Turned out to be the wires from the ignition switch to the engine shorting out on the left side of the cylinder head. Easy to confirm visually once you pull the loom away from the engine and do a good visual inspection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi guys. Thank you very much for all your support. I finally got the bike back from Yamaha. All they needed to do is clean the carburator. Now it runs smooth and I anjoy it a lot. Cheers again. Casi

·
Super Moderator
6,110 Posts
Hi Casi

These bikes have a relatively small carb - and it doesn't like old fuel sitting in it for a while - common problem

Welcome to the board - and enjoy the ride ........

·
Registered
21,594 Posts
Welcome Casi, glad your stalling problem got resolved.
By now you have probably figured out that the front turn signal assemblies house twin element bulbs; one for the blinking turn signal and the other element for the always on running lights.
In the future should you wish to quickly test a fuel delivery issue you could always simply leave petcock open and then open the float bowl drain screw ( JIS screw, not a #2 phillips) and observe the flow of fuel as it drains out overflow tube. A steady stream of fuel assures you all is likely well with petcock screens in tank, screen in carb above float needle, float needle and carb drain line. This is a quick clean two minute diagnostic job that might save you or mechanic some disassembly time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts