TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi - I commented on a couple of posts with similar issues - figured I would start a new one

I purchased this 1988 recently - $1800 - 11k miles on OD. When I went to get it I knew it had some issues. I had to refurbish the gas tank - rusty - which I did using a kit - cleaning process - then sealing with tank sealer. I think I did a good job. The product Por15 Por15 seems really good.
I installed a new petcock.
I cleaned the carb - I'm not a skilled mechanic - just did the basics
Got er running and adjusted idle.
As soon as I get up to higher RPMs- it shuts down
When I filled it up at station - the carb started overflowing - float bowl

I now have it at a mechanic - he "jetted" it - now tells me he thinks it's the "kickstand switch" - I didn't know there was one - might be defective and causing the shut off
I told him about float bowl etc
Don't think he is paying too mush attention as he is really busy and understaffed (Covid etc)

BTW - I didn't add any additive

I'll continue to post as I resolve the issue

Thanks for all the help. I hope to enjoy this cruiser soon !

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Did you ever check if it was the gas cap not venting properly? You could bypass the neutral safety switch to try to determine if that’s the problem, but I don’t think it would only be a problem at high rpms.

·
Registered
261 Posts
High probability it's NOT the kickstand switch.

My hunch says carb issue, but I'm certainly not the expert here. I think you'll get remove jets, clean properly, replace seals/parts needed, reassemble and go from there......preferably with someone who knows the TW.

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
If that is the original tank, then it is likely that your bike is a 1987 model year TW. To check for sure, see if your headlight comes on when you turn the ignition key to the On position. If it doesn't, then your bike is an '87 model which has a one year only electrical system and which are also known to have problematic CDI's that could explain the problem that you are having.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turns out it was a kickstand switch. Kind of strange I guess but we had already cleaned out and tuned up the carburetor. The old kickstand switch seemed to be shorting and causing the engine to shut down. At any rate it's replaced and running like a champ.

Thanks for all the great advice

1 - 5 of 5 Posts