TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1998 tw 200 a week ago with 9000 genuine kilometers on the clock .... I gave her an oil service, took off the carb and cleaned it and fitted a new sparkplug.
She starts well, idles well BUT on the road she stutters above 80% throttle and can only do about 60 kilometers/hour.
I will appreciate your help in solving this problem.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
How did it run before you cleaned the carb? It sounds like a jetting problem. Did you get all the parts back inside including the little spring under the white cap the big spring goes on on top of the slide? I am not sure your carb has that but it is easy to miss. It could also be float level maybe check that. There are a lot of carb threads under the technical section look at the stickies at the top for the float level adjustment. Check your tank venting too I had high speed misses from an over filled tank but that was a CA model.

Did you replace the oil filter? And double check that it had 4 small holes in the end. They have been problems caused by the wrong oil filter in the correct box from dealers.

O yeah welcome.

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
This sounds like a problem I had with my '87. After trying many many things I replaced the high speed jet with a brand new high speed jet and it was fixed.

So, my advice to you is after doing all the free stuff that could be the problem, if it still persists, replace the high speed jet -- no matter how good it looks -- just replace it. It should be a #114.

And welcome! Where do you live?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I got the bike it could only start and run with full choke .... therefor I cleaned the carb.... it doesn't have the spring you referring too..... the oilfilter is the correct one from yamaha dealer.... I will check VENTING now.
Before I made my first post, I looked for similar problems going back 60 pages in 'Technical help' but could not find anything similar.
Thanks for the welcome note

·
Super Moderator
5,324 Posts
Yeah - we get all our bad oil filters straight from the Yamaha dealer too - they just go by the part number on the box and slap it on the counter

It should have four holes at the engine end - otherwise you have big problems

Welcome to the board ..... ;)

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

You might try a strong dose of Seafoam or some other kind of carburetor cleaner in with the gas and run it. This helps a lot sometimes.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
If that jet doesn’t fix it, I’m with elime - recheck the free stuff first. Don’t forget the air/fuel mixture screw, although your symptom doesn’t point in that direction.

Strong doses of sea foam and tweaking the air/fuel mixture setting fixed all my problems. For $0.00 and the carb didn’t even have to come off the bike.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
You have already received good advice.
Does 98 have a CV carb?
If so, is the diaphragm intact and properly seated?
Otherwise, If fuel flow to the carb is OK (petcock screen clear), then the main jet, accessible with bowl removed, at bottom of emulsifier tube (needle jet on the top) may be partially clogged, or the needle not in proper position or the fuel level in the bowl too low.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The full choke comment in post 4 may be due
A. Mixture screw not out 2 1/2 + turns and/ or
B. Vacuum leak due to cracked rubber intake

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts