TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI TW lovers

I recently pick up a 87 (13K mi) TW. Plenty of new parts on it- rear tire, rear sporket (52) and chain.

PO said it locked up while his son was kick starting it. Oil level looks OK to me.

I pulled the filter out and there are plenty of shavings.

Not sure how much engine work I'd like to do myself but may give it a try.

Never done a tear done before so am not sure where to start.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

mm

·
Registered
64 Posts
Definitely do as QWERTY suggested and download the free manual and familiarize yourself with the bike before you begin!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Did it start? Or did the kick-starter lock up? Take a quick look at the right cover- where the kick-starter comes out off.

It might be cracked, like the one I have in my shop, from the hole out. Next, put it in a higher gear, and rock it gently,

clutch out, and see if the motor turns or perhaps the "locked up" comes loose. The other weak link is the kicker return spring.

But I am not getting that it would hang up on anything if it breaks. Maybe. Anyone else have this happen?

I think it is likely the kick-starter failed, and pieces got into its gears, but lets do the rock-it test first. And if it does

turn the motor, drain the oil and look for metal. There is stuff in the forum about pulling covers; but you need the shop manual

detailed advice anyway. GB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts