TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
I got a 2015 tw I recently post about the cam and rod being replaced.
Would riding at 55-60 sometimes at 65 for a long periods mess up the engine? it's got about 12,500 miles on it
Thanks

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Depends on terrain, surface, gearing and rider confidence......there are probably 5,000 different answers. Gas mileage too. I can get 100 miles before reserve if I'm only going 35, or 60 miles if I'm flat out on pavement (60mph).....which I don't like much, as the bike buzzes a lot and that is tiring.

·
Super Moderator
5,254 Posts
Well – sort of ……

The issue with the TW (and I’m presuming this is the 200), is that it’s pretty much flat out at 65 (and I’m presuming that’s mph). So, if you have done the best part of (I presume) 12.5K (presumed miles), with no mention of oil changes etc, then we can presume you are heading for a top end (at least) re-build in the not too distant future

But that’s all presumption of course ….

So let’s forget “presumption”, and ask a few questions here ….

Ambient riding temp – altitude – carb alterations – rider weight – oil change frequency – road conditions (trail or tarmac) – percentage of miles at WOT – it all adds up

At the moment, we know diddly squat ……

I’ve “merged” the two threads by the way ……

·
Registered
20,376 Posts
If you have replaced the cam and rod already may we assume balance of engine is healthy and in a reasonable state of tune? If so then riding at 55 mph to 65 mph I would think would be OK for an engine with 12,500 miles assuming stock gearing.
Correct response might depend on the subjective term of "long periods". Do you mean an hour? Several hours? All day? For several days on end?
Several members here have done rides in the thousands of miles day after day. The few reported problems were not so much engine related but things like broken frames, throttle cables pulled in two from trying to go a bit faster, sore toes from trying to upshift into that mythical sixth gear, etc.:D

We also have several riders who have put more than 40,000 miles on their likely well maintained TWs.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Yeah these little bikes aren’t made for highway cruising. I would recommend a full tear down. It’ll be pretty clear what needs replacing. If you want to continue riding at those extended speeds, you might benefit a bunch from an oil cooler. Make it longer between rebuilds. Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
I do all the needed maintenance.
I ride to work every day 40 miles a day with stock gearing.
OMG!

What are the miles intervals for oil changes?

What oil are you using?

Do you take heavy traffic?

Have one TW 200 with >15k miles no oil consumption, good compression, use synthetic oil and change it every 3-5k miles ( that I remember only 4 oil and oil filter change) run full throttle almost all the time but the gearing isn’t stoke (15/47) for the last 4K miles. Also the engine (carb) was dyno tune with ARF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
My 93 was almost always wide open on the highway. Many trips from Port Townsend to Seattle or Enumclaw. ( 140 miles round trips) I had more than 21,000 miles on it when I sold it and it was still running great with no major engine work. Adjust valves and carb were the most engine work it had done. I still had the original clutch allthough that was beginning to worry me. I went through 4 front tires and 5 back tires and several brake jobs. Original battery was not replaced until 2002. I also used it roughly in the Washington Cascades off road showing up my 4wd friends and other bikers. These are some the most durable bikes made, although they do vibrate and make noise.
If you are not racing they will do what you need. Just keep up the routine maintenance.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My 93 was almost always wide open on the highway. Many trips from Port Townsend to Seattle or Enumclaw. ( 140 miles round trips) I had more than 21,000 miles on it when I sold it and it was still running great with no major engine work. Adjust valves and carb were the most engine work it had done. I still had the original clutch allthough that was beginning to worry me. I went through 4 front tires and 5 back tires and several brake jobs. Original battery was not replaced until 2002. I also used it roughly in the Washington Cascades off road showing up my 4wd friends and other bikers. These are some the most durable bikes made, although they do vibrate and make noise.
If you are not racing they will do what you need. Just keep up the routine maintenance.
I love notes like this where long-time (or very active) owners share their high odometer readings. 21,000 miles of faithful service says a lot about the bike AND the rider.

I read others report here of mileage into the mid-forties. Makes me smile.

Reactions: Ken and littletommy

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
One of my 2006's was originally used as a commuter bike with almost exclusively freeway miles on it. at 14k miles on the clock the piston and cylinder were completely worn out. The cylinder walls were so glazed and shiny the bore looked like chrome and it burned a fair bit of oil. The crank bearings were fairly worn too. I ended up putting in a new piston, having the cylinder bored and honed and i replaced the crank with a used one off ebay that had low miles on it. Bike runs great now.

In my opinion if you plan on spending the majority of the time at freeway speeds get a bike that can do it comfortably. its simply a better and safer option. Save the TW for trails and around town stuff where it really shines.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
My 99 has 32,000 kms and that includes 500 km days running pretty well wide open for long periods of time and it runs great. Is it just me or do people seem to have more problems with the newer TWs? Perhaps I should keep my 99 as back up while I ride my 2015.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Maybe 1993 was really a good year for longevity. Mine has over 44,000 miles on it. One carb overhaul and one valve job on the engine. I planned on an overhaul but the piston and bore specs were perfect so I changed some gaskets and put it all back together at 42,000 miles. I did change the clutches but they actually were still in spec. They slipped a little due to me using car oil. I have a trick that fixes that but I heard good things about Barnett so I put those in.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Alright I wanna know how people are wearing out an engine at 10-14k. My 225 has over 10k in 2.5 years and its spent most of its life in the top third of the rpm band. I have put entire days on it at almost all WOT. Compression is still up and no oil consumption. I change the oil and adjust the valves every 1000 miles and keep riding it. anyone out there that has seen me attest to the fact that it doesnt just put around? Im currently working on a new motor but not due to the current one being worn out!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I ride my TW at speeds I feel " It's comfortable with " ... In my case that's 45-50 max on back roads with lower posted speed limits, so as not impede other traffic or have to push the bike to it's limits..

You see I'm lucky perhaps ? Even if my best years are way behind me somewhere in all of the dust back there. :rolleyes:
In my stable I have a 2014 900 CC Triumph "America" as well as a new 2017 H/D Softail Slim with a 110 cubic inch Screamin Eagle engine for freeway speeds or times I feel the "need for speed". :D

I love my 2010 TW and would never contemplate driving it for any distance at max RPM and speed.

Slow down see the sights and enjoy the beauty..... :icon_thumleft: It all goes by way too fast..... enjoy it !!

( I'm writing this as I'm looking next week at having surgery to try and remove cancer in my left lung as well as recently effected lymph nodes in the same lung. ) :(

Maybe wish me a little luck?

thank's
Gene aka: excalibur

·
Registered
127 Posts
Gene,

We have not formally met. I have read your contributions in this setting for half a year. I have found you to have a strong and experienced voice, and I have enjoyed your insights. From your profile I see you are a VN veteran. That earns you toughness points. You had a career for the railroad as a carman. In my scuffling days I hopped freights around the US, so I know that anyone who could work daily around those dinosaurs is a strong person. Plus you ride some heavy duty bikes. Timid does not define you.

I wish you all the luck in the world.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My last TW was I believe a 1998. Not really sure. It was during my first marriage...... I rode it solely as my main transportation for 15 months. 75 percent not full throttle. I changed the oil at 600 miles and went to Royal Purple full syn. Changed the oil at 6 months and at 1 year and then stopped riding all the time. I had 8500 miles on the odometer. At a certain RPM near read line as shown on the speed odometer. I would feel a strong vibration. I always just backed off from there. I changed the front sprocket to a 15 to give a little room at the top end. Mostly I did not run at 65 to 70. But sometimes I would ride 35 miles to my families homes. The doctors office was about that as well. Grocery store was 20 miles. So I would zip up to speed for 15 minutes.

That bike was eventually stolen but it ran good when that occurred. I am not going to offer any advice but to take care of it as you see fit. Let us know what happens.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts