TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MY NEW TO ME 2016 YAMAHA TW200

Hello TW200FORUM from Southern California!!!

I've been lurking here for a while and finally pulled the trigger on the T-DUB!
I was talking with a buddy of mine about these cool bikes as I've been following them via the TW200 THREAD ON ADVRider.com
In talking with him, he pulled the trigger quick and got his first and found me this clean 2016 rig with 300-miles on the odometer soon after!

2016 YAMAHA TW200 PURCHASED JULY 30, 2017 - with 318-miles on the odometer! BOOM!

But before we get too carried away, here is my motorized 2-wheeled background.
I started riding at the age of 5 in the woods of Alabama on a Yamaha JT1. My family raced flat track and my dad was a Yamaha nut! Later I grew into a Yamaha DT175, but I was so short aka young at age-11, my dad removed the stock seat and used a seat that looked like it came from a speedway bike. My first street bike (age 14) was a Honda CMT400. Yes, in Alabama back 1980, you could get your driver's license for a motorcycle at age 14! At the age of 16 I got the Kawasaki Spectre 750. I would go off to college and made my way to California to finish school. First job out of school I acquired a Yamaha RZ350 from a co-worker with my first paycheck! Got married, got kids, got away from bikes due to other motorsport endeavors. Found myself on a friends 1996 Honda XR400 over a Thanksgiving desert family outing back on November 26, 2005. Three weeks later had myself a 1997 Honda XR400 with a license plate! Later, the wifey asked if we could get another street bike again (we met on the RZ350) and I knew the exact bike to get! I purchased a 2005 KTM 950ADV! Got my girls some Honda XR100's... they grew... sold one, kept one and "adulterized" the Honda XR100 with tall seat and BBR everything! Also acquired 1998 ATK 605DS. We also acquired a 1995 Honda 750 Nighthawk to replace the KTM 950ADV.

While the little XR100 is SO FUN, it does not have what I refer to as the "ghetto pass" aka California License Plate! Enter the TW200! The TDUB is not just a straight replacement with legal status, its a mindset change too. I'm getting older and I don't bounce so well off the dirt any more. I'm in my exploratory years... hehehe, at least that is what I am telling myself. Same time, this might explain it a little better.. I drive an 80-Series Toyota Land Cruiser as a daily driver dubbed the ADV80.

This is going to be fun!

A bike I can touch the ground on with my 29" inseam and take photos from!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Hey welcome.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FIRST FIX TO FIX - YAMAHA TW200 Turn Signal Switch Service:
The previous owner had a nice tumble in the sand of Pismo Beach and the right turn signal switch was stuck ON blinking position. :(

That had to get diagnosed and fixed right away and it took several attempts to sort the details!:eek: I should have taken photos from the beginning but you know how it is when you get all excited about a new bike!
This first photo was after cleaning it two or three times and yet it was still not working and I remembered I should be shooting photos!

Eventually, through he process of taking apart, cleaning, greasing and re-assembling, and digging down further, I made my way to the very bottom layer of the switching mechanism. :mad:
At the very bottom is where the real work is done! Up top is all the cool mechanical stuff, but here is where the real sticky issue is happening!

After a few attempts of spraying it out, it was still gritty, so the only solution was to pop it open and get them little sand critters out!:director:

Fully disabled I can get to the gritty-grit and see just how this little item handles the functionality of switching from left to right turn signals.

The bottom of the switch bucket was full of crust and grim as it was obvious the previous owner was attempting to spray out the sand with some type of super syrupy orange juice with magna-pulp. My solution was to run it under warm water with a thick coat of self bubbling hand soap. :toothy12:

With the bottom bucket portion of the switch assembly cleaned and dried, now I can start putting the Japanese jig-saw puzzle back together.
First in is the horn button.

Next is switching system dropping back into place. Why yes, that is a judicious amount of dielectric grease applied to the switch.

With the switch in place, it's worth the effort to manually test the switch. This is the middle position.

This is the switch in the Left turn signal position. :icon_profileleft:

This is the switch in the Right turn signal position. :icon_profileright:

You can see the switch down in the bottom of the case and in next is the mechanical - metal movement. It's interesting how the brass pins passing through the plate are actually what moves the switch left to right with the centering ability. This is a two part piece that has to go in at the same time. There is a spring loaded bearing in the white plastic piece I am holding and for the whole mechanism to fit into the house, it needs a little attitude to slide in so that the "switch" has the retention needed so it doesn't flop around. #HowThingsTick

All the bits back into place - but wait, there's MORE! :rolleyes:

We are getting close to buttoning it all back up, but we have to lay all those wires back in...

And those wires need to be covered and secured!

As such. Give it a quick test before covering everything entirely.

Then the final protective cover in set in and bolted down.
Ready to be reassembled to the handlebar.:cool-new:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Nice write up!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I didn't read your entire motorcycle resume because after the word "Flat Track", the picture of the bike and pick-up truck, that was cool enough.
Congrats on the bike and welcome.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Great set of pics! This could be the start of a custom TW200 manual.

Welcome from smoky British Columbia.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
YAMAHA and FLAT TRACK = KENNY ROBERTS!
Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 9.50.27 AM.png
Bike #2 is Kenny. While I was only a kid riding a Yamaha JT1, I do remember seeing Kenny race flat track in Talladega, Alabama at what was called Freeman's Short Track that was literally located right across the street from Talladega International Speedway (NASCAR) track.

I didn't read your entire motorcycle resume because after the word "Flat Track", the picture of the bike and pick-up truck, that was cool enough.
Congrats on the bike and welcome.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tweaker*, silverwing*, scotti158*, lugnut*, Ken*, stagewex*, Toecutter*, Elvesus*- THANK YOU GUYS FOR STOPPING IN AND CHECKING OUT MY BIKE and WELCOMING ME TO THE TDUB CLUB!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IMG_7669.JPG
IMG_7676.JPG
My buddy Pedals 2017 on the right and my 2016 on the left.
We think the only difference between these two rigs is the stripe on the bottom of the tank. 2017 is a gold strip and the 2016 is a silver stripe.
No matter, we are going RIDING!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you Little Tommy. I've sent him a DM. Hope he pops up!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
YAMAHA TW200's TO BIG BEAR

For my first dirt trip on the TW200, my buddies and I planned a little ride from Riverside, CA to Big Bear and back making use of the surface streets for the tarmac transits.
It's roughly 22-miles from our starting point, the Pedals Bike Shop (Riverside) to the Valero Service Station at 1811 Mentone Blvd, Mentone, CA.

The odometer just before the trip, but I added 10-12-miles running back and forth to the Gustin Motorsports shop prior to the trip. I will get better about starting/stop odometer trip readings on future trips!

My buddy came and picked my bike up as I still do not have my hitch installed on my rig for towing.

I wake up extra early on Sunday morning and do my last minute prep like adding Hammer Nutrition HEED mix to water with a lot of ice for the Camelpak! I'm old and believe in proper nutrition for endurance!

Load up into the ADV80 and head to my buddies house! Sun is creeping up fast on the horizon making for an epic view of the mountains we will be running around later today!

We meet up at my buddies place, Pedals Bike Shop in Riverside. Yes, bicycles! But we like motorcycles too! And 4X4's, bike-packing, camping and R/C toys and... and... and... hehehe

We meet up with our buddy Ricky at the Valero in Menton as we will be making our way up to Big Bear from the HWY38 side. Ricky is also our tour guide today on his dualsport'ed KX140. We are leaning on him hard to jump on the TDUB tip with us! hehehe
My TW200 is about to hit the dirt and I'm excited to say the least!

From HWY38 we hang a left at 1N12 - Warm Spring Truck Road / Thomas Hunting Ground Trail

The boys kicking up dust as they go up the Thomas Hunting Ground Trail.

The yucca bush claims its first victim! Eric gets bitten in the leg. Not to self, hard shin guards are a good thing!

The Adventure Medical .5 Kit has tweezers... but are not strong enough for the Yucca thorn!

Enter the use of stronger "tweezers!" The Leatherman has needle nose pliers!
Note to self: hard shin guards are a good thing but are not 100% coverage proof. Add better tweezers to Med Kit!

extraction is quick and too fast for the camera to capture!

Here is the culprit aka the Yucca plants pointed tip extracted from Eric's leg. He said is as though he lost all feeling in his leg and was obviously in much pain!

He's back on his feet and we take a moment before mounting up and heading on towards Big Bear. The conversation quickly turns to how fun the little TW200's are! They are not the same as our big bikes, yet they are not the same as trying to ride the mini-bikes like my XR100. Most importantly, these have LICENSE PLATES!!! We proceed onto the Santa Ana River Trail and come out at the Post Office on HWY38.

We are back on dirt again after a brief touch of tarmac from the Post Office in Angelus Oaks, CA onto Mill Creek Road.

Ricky on his purpose-built dualsport KX140.

Eric feeling better but taking it easy as he has no idea what is in store for him today!

Jason of Pedals Bike Shop getting his TDUB ON!

The crew traveling down Mill Creek Road. This road is also or turns into 1N09 and splits to the left for Seven Oaks Road for vehicular traffic. The dirt road turns to tarmac briefly and we cross over the Santa Ana River bridge that has plenty of water still flowing. We hang a left at Clarks Grade Trail and head up the Western slope of Big Bear to Skyline Drive.

We stop on Skyline Drive just about Snow Summit. The weather up here was absolutely SPECTACULAR! With a little bit of cloud cover is was actually cool in the shade! The Skyline MTB & Hiking trail is located right next to the road and we notice how a lot of hikers are checking out the TW's and asking questions. Had these been our big bikes, these people would have avoided us all together... At least we think that... But we are intrigued with how everyone wanted to talk about the TW's!

It's lunch time, so we head on down into town to Hacienda Grill for some Mexican food!

So far, my little TDUB has been absolutely FUN!!!

1 - 20 of 226 Posts