TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thick smoke from California wildfires was getting to me so after a bit of research headed out to some scenic high country where the ride destination's summit should hopefully be above the smoke ceiling. Looking very promising.

First day not too bad, smoke flowed around my discontinuous mountain chain as internet wind modeling predicted.
Wind change on second day brought in enough fresh air to see the far off Sierras surrounding Sonora Pass .

So I had a lazy day exploring mid-level roads and single track trails in the 9 to 10 thousand foot elevations...

...some closed.:(

One nice trail had some ambiguous signage:

But with the help of a little cow poop I made it less confusing...I think it looks better too:cool:

Then down to town for some engine oil, a bacon,chedar & guacamole burger, then a relaxing hot spring soak...

...before heading back to my very white base camp. Beautiful volunteer made campfire structure, like the single tracks, was officially off limits. So in frustration I obeyed reasoning that part of getting the TW was the desire to no longer be a motorcycle outlaw and to try to tread lightly.

Day 3 had a ride to the Mt.Paterson summit, always a nice challenge but the smoke was obscuring the lower terrain and far off views.

Guess I can squeeze in a tenth photo. One more of ol' Betty Boop and Ol' Glory

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Excellent, Fred! Riding above the treeline is my absolute favorite!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Beautiful sky. You have less smoke than we do right now.

·
Registered
22,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Usually like to visit there for the fall colors in the quaking aspens at mid-elevations. The fall colors while zooming down single or double track tunnels scattering leaves is memorable.

Several big sections of a few aspen groves seem to be in a die back mode though.

Did eat some smoke on route to the top though.

Uncovered all my air box holes since bike was feeling the elevation a bit. A couple of tape strips allow me to select how many holes to uncover...like all of them.:cool:

While I was pulling the tear-offs a badger waddled past maybe 15 feet away. Another odd resident seen up there is the snowshoe hare, Rider21 once pointed one out skirting our group camp's evening get-together.

Cruised to the top OK but visibility was limited.

Admiral would have liked this nearby geo-cache.
Stuffed full of all sorts of good treasure...2 water bottles, an energy bar, sunscreen, molded dinosaur etc . On top was a ledger where last visitors said they were there yesterday on their anniversary having been married there 4 years previously. Plus a teasing label saying this was not the famous geocache the visitor likely seeked. Another added pleasure.

Detoured to the Montigue Mine building in process of falling off the mountain around 11,000 ft. level

A lot of the wall seemed made of good looking ore, or at least something I would have assayed back in the day.:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I admire his willingness and desire to ride all those places solo. But I am just not that confident I'd end up on one of those trails pinned under my bike and have to saw off, or worse, knaw off a limb to get free.

·
Registered
22,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did let discretion be the better part of valor several times...i.e. I chickened out and did not take several trails with more downside risk for the solo rider than I was comfortable with.
Blame it on awareness of shorter days with nighttime temps dropping below freezing, shortage of others visitors mid-week and still a lack of 100% confidence in my recent engine re-build. I could use a bit of a re-build myself. :giggle:

All good fun, and I got away from the chocking wildfire smoke.
Last day I filled van up with firewood and wandered back via hwy 88 over Monitor Pass and hwy 4 to pass through more Tamarack fire affected areas. Was going to unload here along the Carson River & spend another night while riding over Ebbetts Pass to enjoy some granite slick rock. However smoke looked bad towards the pass.

Was going to stop & get a burger at Walker but the parking lot was kind of full.
19 Deuces from hot rodded to full restoration were on display.

This one was really clean, very impressive:

However I thought the pick of the litter was this Ford pick-up since I could probably put a hitch carrier on it for the TW.:giggle:

Was good to see others out having a good time.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
How badly did the Tamarack scar the area and how close to downtown did it come? Did it take out Monitor Pass? I love that area, especially on the North side for trails. In the fall one can wander vast stretches of Alder and Aspen groves as if walking through shimmering gold. Right at dawn, as the first rays hit and there's a dew on the leaves. At it's best with subfreezing overnights and no rain so the colors stay fresh.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
that smoke up there is horrific I stopped at Black Bear Cafe in Yreka only for about an hour and was already getting sick from it almost like they are burning tires in that fire it's terrible !

·
Registered
348 Posts
Love that area but never have ridden offroad in it. Too bad about the fires. I think they are going to be with us for awhile.
Thanks for the great recap and pictures!

·
Registered
22,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tamarack fire damage visible from road was not horrible burnt to the ground devastation but rather standing but mostly dead charred trees. Fire margins was about a mile north of Monitor Pass area and points of interest like Markleeville, Woodfords and the Grover Hot Springs were saved, fortunate that way for the local communities. Charity Valley took a big hit and some of my riding areas likely were torched.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Fire margins was about a mile north of Monitor Pass area
I was afraid of that. The best draws of quakies are in that north area right at or just west of the summit. I'll check it out come October. IF they have the forest open by then. Right now, all the national forests in california are closed.

·
Registered
22,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From the road all those aspen groves looked intact. Excellent map link SkiPro listed also had detailed maps for the other major fires including the Tamarack Fire. This was major source of my info. Near the highways it seems the suppression efforts were more rigorous in hope of preventing fire from jumping roadway. Sometimes successful, other times not. Thus perhaps the relative moderate burn intensity I noticed.
"All National Forests in northern California closed" is a little misleading in that Toiyabe is not closed likely due to it being in both Nevada & California.
Thus the high country of Sweetwaters can still be enjoyed. Visiting a lot of surrounding Toiyabe Nationl Forest and BLM land is very worthwhile, especially when not so smokey.
According to San Jose Mercury these are the National Forests referred to as being closed through Sept.1 at least.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Sound like it might be a good time for
the west coast T-dubers to ride BAJA

Reactions: SanDue

·
Registered
22,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Good idea but hard to execute with many of us living close to fire zones reluctant to get too far from home. Maybe fall color ride again, or next year for the wildflowers. Nice camp-n-riding to be had anytime the snow is gone.

Best when no smoke allows far off vistas.

Here is one of Admiral's video's from the first group ride when we were pleased to make it just to Montigue Mine. Little did we know this was but half of the high elevation TW riding to be done. On later trips we go past another high summit and on down into Frying Pan Canyon then on up again to Befort mine.

Everyone always seemed to acclimate well, even those who are used to thicker air living some 2 miles closer to sea level. Typically schedule things so first day we warm up, blow out the cobwebs ad get comfortable having fun on easier stuff around 10,000 ft level.

·
Registered
22,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe a fall color ride again...gets cold though.

If it will be 28 in Bridgeport some 3000 ft lower it will likely be less than 20 at camp tomorrow at dawn.
This prediction is due to the "Dry Adiabatic Lapse Rate". The adiabatic lapse rate for a dry atmosphere, which may contain water vapor but which has no liquid moisture present in the form of fog, droplets, or clouds, is approximately 9.8 °C/1000 m (5.4 °F/1000 ft).
Pretty though

·
Super Moderator
14,888 Posts
Thick smoke from California wildfires was getting to me so after a bit of research headed out to some scenic high country where the ride destination's summit should hopefully be above the smoke ceiling. Looking very promising.
View attachment 217641

First day not too bad, smoke flowed around my discontinuous mountain chain as internet wind modeling predicted.
Wind change on second day brought in enough fresh air to see the far off Sierras surrounding Sonora Pass .
View attachment 217642

So I had a lazy day exploring mid-level roads and single track trails in the 9 to 10 thousand foot elevations...
View attachment 217643

...some closed.:(
View attachment 217644

One nice trail had some ambiguous signage:
View attachment 217645

But with the help of a little cow poop I made it less confusing...I think it looks better too:cool:
View attachment 217646

Then down to town for some engine oil, a bacon,chedar & guacamole burger, then a relaxing hot spring soak...
View attachment 217647

...before heading back to my very white base camp. Beautiful volunteer made campfire structure, like the single tracks, was officially off limits. So in frustration I obeyed reasoning that part of getting the TW was the desire to no longer be a motorcycle outlaw and to try to tread lightly.
View attachment 217648

Day 3 had a ride to the Mt.Paterson summit, always a nice challenge but the smoke was obscuring the lower terrain and far off views.
View attachment 217649

Guess I can squeeze in a tenth photo. One more of ol' Betty Boop and Ol' Glory
View attachment 217651
We've had some dang good rides up there. I can see why you keep going back...great views (usually, but smokey this trip) and less crowded. Except for that day, we met several jeeps but hey, they're having fun just like us.
I was pretty apprehensive my first time up towards Montegue mine and Mt. Patterson. That "wall of rocks" trail heading up the hill at the mine intersection sure is intimidating looking from "Mars". haha. I remember using my "holed" air cleaner cover for this one. Still have it for the next time.

P.S. I hadn't watched my shakey camera productions of Fred's Mars Ride in quite a long time. Ah, the memories we make! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
22,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Yes, we've had some pretty good times riding up there with some pretty good people....Donzo, Adam, Tweaker, Dirtluvr, the SanDue duo, Evan, Rider21, Bananachunks, Ejfranz, Boarder255, and of course Mrs Admiral and admiral.
I found some more easy roads to explore but there still remain some fairly challenging single tracks that I feel more comfortable with a partner like following the Desert Creek off the mountain to the north all the way to the Walker River.
If I do that one again I'm taking trail more building tools than my gloves and a pocket knife after getting Betty's forks inextricably stuffed between aspen saplings while her rear was hanging off an embankment over the creek. Laughable situation if with a friend, serious stuff when solo.

·
Registered
2018 KLX250 camo ; former owner of 2006 TW (retired at 23k); 19' S3, 09' F-250, 97' Cherokee
564 Posts
I miss the sweetwaters. Hopefully I'll get down there again with you Fred and hopefully we can make it a group gathering too!

Many great trips up there, shared with great people. The place has a magical feeling to it, being "above the mountains".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts