TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ethanol gasoline destabilizes and absorbs moisture quickly and can prevent starting, cause stalling and plug fuel filters.

Here are some additives you can try

I have not heard anything bad about them yet. But Star Tron has the most fantastic claims.

ValvTect Marine Fuel Additives

The Best Solution for Ethanol Problems

Marine Formula STA-BIL

• America's #1 Selling Marine Fuel Additive Brand!
  • BEST Ethanol Problem Fighter
  • More than FOUR TIMES the Fuel System Cleaner than in Regular STA-BIL
  • DOUBLE the corrosion preventer than in Regular STA-BIL
  • Prevents corrosion from moisture & ethanol-induced water attraction
  • Improves marine engine performance YEAR-ROUND, not just for seasonal storage

Star Tron Fuel Treatment

SEA FOAM FUEL TREATMENT

A good read on fuel degradation LINK

Where to find alcohol free fuels LINK

Edit: I just found this stuff online. They claim to be able to reverse phase separation

http://www.cim-tek.c.../additives.html

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcKbZ4irU6k[/media]

·
Registered
190 Posts
i try to stay away from ethanol but some times you cant help it. i apreciate the info. it may just be me but when i get close to the bottom of the tank when im running ethanol it doesnt run as well. does fine on 100% gas.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I've had to go from 87 to 89 octane to stop the pinging in hot weather. Also it was easy to find non-ethanol blends in East Tennessee.That's very hard to do here in cental Florida.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
With ethanol I can't redline the tachometer in 5fth gear. With pure gasoline hitting 9500 rpm is no problem in 5fth gear! Going over 9500 rpm is no problem. I backed off at about 9600.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I use Sea Foam for all my engines. Van, boat, TW, generators and mower. 1 oz per gallon for storage, more for cleaning the fuel system and engine. Capt D.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Around here, all there is available is 10% Ethanol

Sea Foam is good stuff for cleaning out all kinds of crap! It was suggested to me by my car mechanic for a dirty throttle body on an old truck, and did wonmders. It's revived a lawn mower and a boat that I know of...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I swear by Sea Foam, i put it in everything that has an engine. I also run 91 octane, my bike does better with a higher octane level at high altitude (7000-10000).

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
You're welcome, Capt.

So far, ethanol gas has cost me 2 gas tanks on my pontoon boat, and $600. for a new fuel pump on the Merc EFI.

The marina in NC where I keep the boat has located a source for non-ethanol gas, and now that's all they sell.

I fill a 5 gallon portable tank each time I take the boat out, and bring it back to the cabin to use in my motorcycles.

jb

·
Registered
108 Posts
You're welcome, Capt.

So far, ethanol gas has cost me 2 gas tanks on my pontoon boat, and $600. for a new fuel pump on the Merc EFI.

The marina in NC where I keep the boat has located a source for non-ethanol gas, and now that's all they sell.

I fill a 5 gallon portable tank each time I take the boat out, and bring it back to the cabin to use in my motorcycles.

jb
Have heard of to many problems with newer boats that use plastic gas tanks under the decks, instead of using aluminum tanks. Seems that the innards in the tank get affected by the ethanol. Capt D.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Plastic and rubber fuel system parts can be made impervious to gassoline or impervious to ethanol, but not both. Plastic or rubber tanks, seals, hoses, impellers, diaghrams, and o-rings intended for gasoline will definately soften when exposed to ethanol.

There is nothing that can be added to gasohol to prevent degradation. Gasoline is a great fuel in engines tuned to run gasoline. Ethanol is a great fuel in engines designed to run ethanol. Gasohol sucks as a fuel because an engine simply cannopt run both fuels efficiently at the same time. Simple physics of internal combustion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts