TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
2,465 Posts
I don't mind using the polluted/ contaminated gas as long as im planning on
Running it out the same day ....,
I try to be well into reserve as I near home.....
Top off with the ( supposedly ) pure stuff...
Add a shot of startron that I keep hidden in a couple of old cinder blocks
Then ride the nine miles home to mix it all well....
My T-dub prefers it's go go juice shaken not stirred ......
mike from NC

· Registered
84 Posts
There is a Phillips 66 refinery where I live and used to be employed as a instrument tech-now retired- thank god-
The truck rack where the gasoline delivery truck tankers are loaded out for distribution-there the gasoline is blended as per specifications as to fuel additives and octane as per each filling stations company seasonal blend requirements-love’s-VP-shell-conoco-Valero-Phillips 66- etc- most stations here offer ethanol fuel - but most people here purchase the non ethanol fuel!
With octanes range from 85 to 93 - shell and VP stations have the highest octane and non ethanol gasoline available- how ever Sunoco has pump racing fuel available at several of its stations in Oklahoma City - the Phillips 66 refinery here has just gone through some layoffs and is not running at full capacity- the Biden administration with there go green agenda is affecting all the refiners nation wide- it is hard for me to see this because of how many people it affects in the oil industry here in Oklahoma-I find myself having to restrain what I really want to say!

· Registered
474 Posts
In Washington State we have even more than shown.....so that is what I use for everything except my daily driver..... a Chevy Silverado....... and it seems to do fine on discount gas at Fred Meyer....and is driven year-round.

I learned my lesson years ago when I had to replace the fuel system on my boat that was in storage for 6 months full of that ethanol junk...

· Registered
23,607 Posts
In many regards ethanol is an improvement over the old MTBE oxygenate used to reduce emissions and increase octane. While phased out by 2006 that slippery carcinogenic Methyl tertiary-butyl ether is still leaching into domestic groundwater water supplies contaminating aquifers. There is a certain lag time between when MTBE leaked from gas stations and other underground tanks back then and it arrival in our drinking water. Long banned, we are still awaiting the effects yet to come. This is unlike the short lag time from fill-up to fire seen in autos whose fuel system connections could not contain this slippery molecule. I saw a Fiat engulfed in flames a hundred yards or so from the pump back in the 90's.
Fire Flame Art Heat Paint

Don't like ethanol, but liked lead and MTBE less.

· Administrator
6,937 Posts
In the UK, they’ve recently introduced E10 – the meanies are at the door. However, a lot of fuel stations still provide the E5 option (which works for me)

Octane ratings seem to be different over here, but the TW (technically speaking) isn’t fussy, nor “should” be my car – probably “concept allergy” on my part, but the higher the octane the better. Shell tops out on E5 at (UK) 98 Octane, other “Super Unleaded” is around 95 Octane. But the important detail is “E5”

As far as the TW goes, I know I can have a tank of E5, with a dose of Redex (and a Lithium battery) – ignore it for two years, and the bike will start on the button as fresh as a daisy. Yes, a lot of it depends on the level of maintenance, but 70% is down to the E5

I can’t imagine using E15, nor can the rest of our population, unless you ride/drive regularly, and scrap the vehicle every 10 years. It’s agricultural politics, under the guise of “Green Planet” – the closer you look, the less that latter argument makes sense

OK – you can have your thread back now – lol ……..

· Registered
27 Posts
In many regards ethanol is an improvement over the old MTBE oxygenate used to reduce emissions and increase octane. While phased out by 2006 that slippery carcinogenic Methyl tertiary-butyl ether is still leaching into domestic groundwater water supplies contaminating aquifers. There is a certain lag time between when MTBE leaked from gas stations and other underground tanks back then and it arrival in our drinking water. Long banned, we are still awaiting the effects yet to come. This is unlike the short lag time from fill-up to fire seen in autos whose fuel system connections could not contain this slippery molecule. I saw a Fiat engulfed in flames a hundred yards or so from the pump back in the 90's.
View attachment 231683

Don't like ethanol, but liked lead and MTBE less.
ya lead no bueno

· Registered
2003 TW;2018 KLX250 camo ; former owner of 2006 TW (retired at 23k); 19' S3, 09' F-250, 97' Cherokee
553 Posts
After moving up north to Eastern WA, I'm thrilled to have access to ethanol free fuel, in every direction. I work from home, so all of my vehicles have it in them, as I just don't drive the miles that I used to. During the winter my plow truck may only see 300 miles of use, so this is especially important to me. I even use it in my old Cherokee :) ...lawnmowers, snow blower, chainsaws, generators, etc. ---I'm an ethanol-free nut!!

The stuff pops a little stronger too and is more efficient. Our turbo cars love it - it's all the S3 will ever have.

· Registered
170 Posts
A few years ago I was riding my 1993 Harley to have lunch with a friend. About a mile away I smelled gasoline. I looked down and saw gas streaming out from the front of the tank, soaking my lower right pants leg. I turned around, parked the bike away from the house, changed my pants and took my car to lunch. Afterwards I was checking the crossover hose on the front of the tank, thinking it may have worked its way loose. It crumbled in my hands. I replaced it and all the other fuel lines with modern hoses. I firmly believe it was ethanol gas that caused it. Now I only use ethanol free gas, even though I have to drive over 120 miles round trip from North Jersey to Pennsylvania with 26 gallons of empty gas cans to do so. New Jersey sucks for getting ethanol free fuel. The only places that carry it are a few local airports or marinas, where the price is much higher. Considering research has shown producing ethanol to be 24% more carbon intensive than producing gasoline, it makes me wonder why.

· Registered
4,036 Posts
A few years ago I was riding my 1993 Harley to have lunch with a friend. About a mile away I smelled gasoline. I looked down and saw gas streaming out from the front of the tank, soaking my lower right pants leg. I turned around, parked the bike away from the house, changed my pants and took my car to lunch. Afterwards I was checking the crossover hose on the front of the tank, thinking it may have worked its way loose. It crumbled in my hands. I replaced it and all the other fuel lines with modern hoses. I firmly believe it was ethanol gas that caused it. Now I only use ethanol free gas, even though I have to drive over 120 miles round trip from North Jersey to Pennsylvania with 26 gallons of empty gas cans to do so. New Jersey sucks for getting ethanol free fuel. The only places that carry it are a few local airports or marinas, where the price is much higher. Considering research has shown producing ethanol to be 24% more carbon intensive than producing gasoline, it makes me wonder why.
The ethanol did that to hoses before they were reformulated to handle the ethanol. Once you convert everything over running ethanol isn't a problem.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts