TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Everything --? Not even possible.
Gas cap seal, O-rings, needle tips, gaskets, vent lines, the list goes on and on with the things ethanol kills. Rust in the bottom of the fuel tank - that is a killer.
I have a 1974 boat, a 1986 motorcycle and I have been running ethanol. I guess I did something wrong that works.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I will not take a chance on it as my stuff can sit for months.....I have a couple of fun cars.....assuming I drive them 4000 miles a year and get 20 mph.....that is approximately 200 gallons of gas.....if the ethanol fuel is $1a gallon more...... well, math is hard....... but I think that is $200 more for peace of mind....

I keep about 50 gallons at home for motorcycles, sno blowers, lawn mowers, boats, snow machines, generators.....whatever....

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
While not exactly on topic of where to purchase ethanol free gasoline, I saw this last night and thought I’d share.
In the video, he could not get the mower to run with E-10 with and without stabilizer. I have a 91 Suzuki Samurai that is rarely run. From my last SMOG check to this most recent SMOG check, I have not added any fuel, 2 years old. Not only did the Samurai start, it passed SMOG with as good or slightly better numbers that when the fuel was new. The 91 has fuel injection. I imagine that makes a difference as was mentioned in the video the FI cars have non-corrosive components in the fuel system. At least non-corrosive to E10 sitting for long storage. I think I'll go ahead and run the Sammy to drain the fuel and then refill it before winter sets in.

·
Premium Member
1991 TW200, 2017 TW200, 2022 Indian Super Chief, 1979 Goldwing w/ Moline sidecar, 1975 BMW R90
261 Posts
Reactions: bartruff and Ken

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
In many regards ethanol is an improvement over the old MTBE oxygenate used to reduce emissions and increase octane. While phased out by 2006 that slippery carcinogenic Methyl tertiary-butyl ether is still leaching into domestic groundwater water supplies contaminating aquifers. There is a certain lag time between when MTBE leaked from gas stations and other underground tanks back then and it arrival in our drinking water. Long banned, we are still awaiting the effects yet to come. This is unlike the short lag time from fill-up to fire seen in autos whose fuel system connections could not contain this slippery molecule. I saw a Fiat engulfed in flames a hundred yards or so from the pump back in the 90's.
View attachment 231683

Don't like ethanol, but liked lead and MTBE less.
I agree with you Fred, I way prefer potential carb issues to carcinogens in my water or lead poisoning any day of the week.

E10 has ban mandated here where I live since prior to 06. Personally I have not seen any real problems from it, it has not at all been the doom and gloom that lots of people paint it to be. I have lots of things with gas engines and of them all the only one that has needed anything special was my 99 Merc 150xr6 outboard. The fuel lines needed to be swapped but my mechanic pointed it out way before it became a problem and it never was an issue after they were swapped proactivily. All my power equipment gets marine stabil in every tank. my tw’s get a dose when I put them away for their 4 month rest and I have never had a problem out of any of them.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
And you get to use the horrible -Save the Planet nozzles.
We had a nozzle at work. In the summer the gas can pressurized and when that special nozzle was depressed gas shot all over someone and they had to go home for an emergency change of clothes. I never saw it happen and hardly believed it. I put a can in the sun, aimed the can away from me and compressed the nozzle. A stream of gas shot out about 6 feet. I rammed a screw driver through all of ours and busted out the pressure holding part so it just poured freely. Some of those spouts are very dangerous.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I hadn't thought of that, but yes our ethanol free has a separate nozzle also. I have lots of different carbed machinery and all of it WILL suffer from ethanol if allowed to sit long enough. It will also suffer if there is no ethanol, but it takes quite a bit longer.
Now that I'm older and don't accomplish as much in the same amount of time, I find myself wondering what I need to get rid of to cut down on the amount of preventative maintenance I need to do.
I just today got a new carb for my Trail 110 Honda in the mail. It has issues caused by sitting I assume. The registration expired in 2020. Un used by the PO.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I hadn't thought of that, but yes our ethanol free has a separate nozzle also. I have lots of different carbed machinery and all of it WILL suffer from ethanol if allowed to sit long enough. It will also suffer if there is no ethanol, but it takes quite a bit longer.
Now that I'm older and don't accomplish as much in the same amount of time, I find myself wondering what I need to get rid of to cut down on the amount of preventative maintenance I need to do.
I just today got a new carb for my Trail 110 Honda in the mail. It has issues caused by sitting I assume. The registration expired in 2020. Un used by the PO.
Is it the ethanol or is it just gas itself going bad? The reason i ask is i have a LOT of power equipment( some quite old) some of which i have no way to run the fuel out of and i simply have not had any issues with carbs on any of them running e10 for years. When I say a lot of equipment im talking over a dozen pieces. Some sit for months or even over a year with fuel in them and they just work.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I have a "Pure Gas" application on my mobile electronic device. It uses GPS to display the nearest non-ethanol fuel stations in relation to your current location. It's very easy to use and works well.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha TW200
49 Posts
After moving up north to Eastern WA, I'm thrilled to have access to ethanol free fuel, in every direction. I work from home, so all of my vehicles have it in them, as I just don't drive the miles that I used to. During the winter my plow truck may only see 300 miles of use, so this is especially important to me. I even use it in my old Cherokee :) ...lawnmowers, snow blower, chainsaws, generators, etc. ---I'm an ethanol-free nut!!

The stuff pops a little stronger too and is more efficient. Our turbo cars love it - it's all the S3 will ever have.
Hey I'm in Oroville, where are you getting your gas? I had to drive to Tonasket to get some, I did notice coleman oil has a location right near me but you need a business card to use it.

·
Registered
'20 TW with mods
255 Posts
It’s called a funnel.
Na that wont work with the new EPA gas can spouts. They are a PIA to operate, and it makes the entire process messy.
As far as ethanol free gas, I get 100LL from the airport for my TW. Last time I bought it, it was about $1.00 less then the 76 station down the street.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts