TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are the opinions of forum members concerning the use of fuel that contains 10% ethanol? Is the crap going to dissolve the seal coat inside the fuel tank, or eat the O-rings in the engine?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
One station near me sells 91 octane fuel with no ethanol. It's a lot more expensive. Is it worth the extra cost?

Registered
Depends on how you value your time, and how much you enjoy removing and working on your carburetor.
I used to try to fool myself the savings/time ratio was worth it, but not any more.
Here in Canada, fuel is sold by the liter. 3.78 liters to the (US) gallon.
Ethanol free fuel is $0.15 more per liter vs. regular. Roughly $0.55 per gallon more.
A complete rip-off, but still worth it.
PLEASE don't get me started on how many ways ethanol is wrong, financially, ethically, environmentally, and politically.

Super Moderator
It's more expensive, but you are not burning ethanol and water, so engine efficiency is better. You have more power and better gas mileage, so to me, it's worth it. Plus, no carb work every year! Is it worth the extra cost? Yes, because you get more real gas, that means more miles per gallon. Try it, you'll like it. The extra so called cost pays for its self in gas mileage.

One station near me sells 91 octane fuel with no ethanol. It's a lot more expensive. Is it worth the extra cost?

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I am now draining the ethanol crap out of my tank. I found a station 1 mile from me that sells clean gas. It is not cheap, but nothing is these days thanks to a government caused devaluation of the dollar.

Thanks for all the input from you experienced dudes.

Registered
The gas stations in my town don't have ethanol free gas but I try to get it when I'm riding where there is. When it gets close to the end of the riding season, I'll buy a couple of 5 gallon cans of ethanol free gas and my last couple of fill ups will be with the ethanol free gas so my bikes, lawn mower, weedeaters, etc. aren't sitting all winter with ethanol gas in them.

Registered
I am not a long time rider and I am certain there are some variables but....... I get 7 to 8 miles per gallon less with pure gas. There is zero arguing this since I have kept very good records. Any ideas why that might be?

Tom

Registered
Am fortunate to have 3 stations within 25 miles from home in the adjoining county selling e-free and use it exclusively in my TW, lawn mowers, and generator. I just fill 2 or 3 five gallon cans at a time. Have not checked the TW mileage and do not have a base line anyway as I drained what the dealer had put in when it was new. The price is usually within 10 cents a gallon of the same octane regular gas and is sold by farm co-ops and wholesale gas and propane dealers.

Registered
I am not a long time rider and I am certain there are some variables but....... I get 7 to 8 miles per gallon less with pure gas. There is zero arguing this since I have kept very good records. Any ideas why that might be?

Tom
That sounds Bass Akwards to me Tom. Pure gas has a much higher BTU rating and if your carb is adjusted right you should see better economy and more pep. More important is the bad effects of ethanol when it is stored or not fresh.

We could have a long and heated discussion----Again but you can't argue against the facts. Ethanol has a lower BTU rating and this is the number that determines power and burn rate which directly effects performance and economy.

GaryL

Registered
That sounds Bass Akwards to me Tom. Pure gas has a much higher BTU rating and if your carb is adjusted right you should see better economy and more pep. More important is the bad effects of ethanol when it is stored or not fresh.

We could have a long and heated discussion----Again but you can't argue against the facts. Ethanol has a lower BTU rating and this is the number that determines power and burn rate which directly effects performance and economy.

GaryL
I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately this has not been the case with my TW. I have done some searching on this topic because of my experiences and am convinced that my results are caused by ethanol free gas that has sat unused for too long. It is far more expensive here in Tompkins county than regular gas with ethanol and only really used by boaters.

I have never touched my carb settings because I have been happy thus far with throttle response.

Tom

Registered
I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately this has not been the case with my TW. I have done some searching on this topic because of my experiences and am convinced that my results are caused by ethanol free gas that has sat unused for too long. It is far more expensive here in Tompkins county than regular gas with ethanol and only really used by boaters.

I have never touched my carb settings because I have been happy thus far with throttle response.

Tom
Old pure gas is better than old ethanol all day long but neither is good. If I had to guess in your case, I would say the place you are buying what is claimed to be pure gas is a scam! Go to an airport and buy some 91 octane and report back.

I did some testing some years back. Had a 1991 Honda CRX-SI and was making a 300 mile drive to home every weekend and the same drive back to my duty station. With pure gas I was getting 36 MPG and with E 10 I got 31. I could not get pure gas at home for the trip to work but could get it for the trip from work to home.

GaryL

Registered
The metering at the pumps may be noticeably inaccurate, especially for small volumes like our TW tanks. This may account for the observed disparity in milage between two fuels sold by different vendors and different pumps. i.e. pump may say it sold you exactly 1.00 gallons but actual volume delivered out end of nozzle into your tank will rarely be exactly that 1.00 gallons. Often a bit of fuel remains in pumps looped hose and you may either get free gas from last customer or leave a few ounces when you are done for the next customer.

Registered

Tom
I've found that higher octane gas gives me lower gas mileage regardless if it's ethanol or non ethanol.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts