TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been dirt riding for over 60 years and never had an injury...so this morning's call from a riding friends wife was a bummer.

Dan is 48 and I know he is a careful rider. He went out Saturday evening alone after dinner and when he was not home by 10:00 pm his wife called the sheriff. Because it was dark no one searched until the next morning. One of our friends located him (out of cell range) about noon on Sunday.

He has a broken collar bone, ribs, wrist, fingers and ankle and looking at several surgeries. He said he was only going about 15 to 20 mph and hit a corner with a sand pocket that threw him off into some rocks. He was wearing a protective riding jacket and pants.

I ride alone and this spooked me a bit. I know crazy riders get injured but anyone else riding carefully ever been injured.

·
Registered
19,434 Posts
Unfortunately yes, but not seriously like your friend Dan.
These events tend to happen to me when under seemingly less demanding conditions where I may let my guard down after a more focused period. Thus this may not qualify for the “riding carefully” caveat. Staying focused 100% of time is easier said than done when out having a good time. Remembering stories like Dan’s will hopefully tend to make us all a little more focused next time out. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Super Moderator
4,859 Posts
One thing I’ve learned in over 40 years of motorcycling, is that looking back over some of the crazy stunts I’ve pulled, it’s usually the everyday normal stuff that’ll catch you out

Maybe it’s simply because it is every day and normal - maybe because we “don’t expect it”

Last major one I had was over 20 years ago, launched a G5 Guzzi across a junction – pedestrians and push bikes everywhere, central London, must have taken that junction over 1000 times before

If you’ve ever ridden a big Guzzi, you’ll appreciate that the single plate dry clutch doesn’t allow for much hesitation, so when I slammed the bike straight into the drivers door of a Skoda Riva (who was coming the wrong way down a one way street at 30mph) it came as quite a surprise – to both me and the driver of the Skoda

Went through the screen, bounced off the roof, and landed still spinning from 5ft in a somewhat undignified heap

Won’t bother you with the list of injuries, suffice to say there were a “few”

But the point is, that shit happens when you least expect it – such is the nature of the beast

Hope Dan recovers – but I’d have been out there looking for him all night if that was what it takes ……

As to your implied question – riding solo off road is not without risks (as Dan found out) – but if we don’t take those risks, we’d hardly get out half the time

There was a local guy here a few weeks ago who was walking and got stuck in mud (he was 70+) – they found him shaken, not stirred, some 8 hrs later ……..

·
Registered
13,350 Posts
I have been dirt riding for over 60 years and never had an injury...so this morning's call from a riding friends wife was a bummer.

Dan is 48 and I know he is a careful rider. He went out Saturday evening alone after dinner and when he was not home by 10:00 pm his wife called the sheriff. Because it was dark no one searched until the next morning. One of our friends located him (out of cell range) about noon on Sunday.

He has a broken collar bone, ribs, wrist, fingers and ankle and looking at several surgeries. He said he was only going about 15 to 20 mph and hit a corner with a sand pocket that threw him off into some rocks. He was wearing a protective riding jacket and pants.

I ride alone and this spooked me a bit. I know crazy riders get injured but anyone else riding carefully ever been injured.

Wow, ouch, oofta! Did he have one of those locator beacon type devices with him? (InReach, SPOT, etc). Protection can only prevent so much and we all take the risk of injury. Once healed he will have a good campfire story to tell.

Not from an accident but potentially so, and after an unintended all night ride with one of my son's and a called off Search and Rescue, I always have a SPOT thanks to forum member Gerry (mrgizmo) who gave me one of his old SPOT's which still works great for this type of situation.

Me. Yes, I broke my foot out on a solo ride. Rode several miles back to the trailhead, loaded up TW on the trailer, and drove straight to the hospital. Painful. I also now ride with MX boots no matter what, on or off road. Only need to break my foot once to figure out it's better to deal with clumsy boots than a broken foot.

I should add that after I hit my foot on the boulder while crossing the creek, once across I got off the TW and sat down for about 45 minutes trying to catch my breath. I know I was in shock and it was really hard to stop sweating and for my breaths to slow down. Didn't count on the back tire sliding over while I was exiting the creek which is how I ended up so close to the boulder with my foot.

Good luck to your friend.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sorry to hear about your buddy...hope he mends well.

Only one unplanned dismount for me, but I've been riding for less than a year. Was easing down through a fairly steep washout, 1st gear, crawling, riding the rear brake. The dirt in the washout was still loose, the front wheel when up on a rock about the size of a softball and it rolled it to one side. Pointing downwards, the front hopping over less than a foot was more than enough to toss me over and forward on the left side. I was wearing my heavy riding jacket but my forearm still got torn up to the point that it was bleeding in a couple places, bashed my elbow and then my hand (tore a big hole in the palm of my leather glove). The glove saved me from getting even a mark on the heel of my hand, and the jacket didn't get torn or even abraided...yet my forearm hit the rocks hard enough to break the skin through a layer of jacket, the elbow pad (foam), and another later of material that holds the pad in.
Not a horrific crash, or even much of an interesting story, but....it sure gave me a wake-up call about just how important the gear is. That was a month ago, and my elbow and wrist are still tender. I had no idea a crash at a walking speed would be forceful enough to rip leather gloves and break skin through the jacket and pads. It gave me a whole new respect for physics, and a warning about how bad an accrual 'accident' with any speed involved could be.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My son was standing in the ski lift line when someone was standing on the tails of his skis and he fell over - broke both ankles - no speed necessary

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Sorry to hear about Dan. I couldn't imagine being hurt and stranded in an isolated area waiting for someone to find me. Fortunately most of the areas I ride have cell service.
It's threads like this that get people thinking about there personal safety.

I did break my ankle riding my TW.

[video]http://tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/12810-i-rode-all-day-broken-leg.html[/video]

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Last year riding into the sun with shadows and a branch sticking out of the bush got me in the right handle bar. Bike went right and I went left... landed on my shoulder. Glad I had armor but still had to lie there for a few minutes because I thought I broke something.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Lots of crashes; nothing broken. At Joemama's ride from hell (was a good ride) last year, I ended up with a bruise on each leg about 5 inches below the knees.

The ride went fine; but we got back just as it got dark. Later as I was walking around to the back of the truck one leg slammed into the ramp that was sticking out to the side of the truck from my hitch mount carrier that I did not see in the dark.

Then after loading everything, I walked to the campfire to say goodbye. After looking across the fire at a couple of guys I went to set my helmet on the picnic table and my other leg slammed into the concrete bench seat that I then could not see. I did not know that a bruise could be permanent; but neither is totally gone after 11 months.

·
Registered
19,434 Posts
Apparently those Joemama Rides can be killer.
I plastered my original hitch carrier with reflective tape but have still walked into it in camp. A downsize to a really narrow MotoJack, also with reflective tape, really helped reduce injuries. Plus with the hydraulic jack’s ability to change the platform height I can choose which part of my body to whack. Solar lights just might go on the next camp-out to warn the innocent.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hit a tree head on. Slow, minor scratches, son was there, so made it back after some surgery to the bike. Bottom line, riding alone is way more dangerous! Oh yeah, over the bars once on some technical single track. Bruised hip and ego. Bought padded shorts before the next ride!

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I had only a couple of low speed dumps on the TW without so much as a bruise....until the day before yesterday! I was riding a two track through a wet meadow with some really tall grass in first at 3 mph when my rear slid into a 10" rut that was invisible beneath the water and grass. Klonk! It happened so fast I didn't have time to get my left foot off the peg. So the bike managed to trap my left leg against the side of the rut and bruised my ankle pretty well. If I had not had armored calf length boots it would have been worse....maybe much worse! :eek: I also had considerable difficulty extracting my leg because I couldn't get any leverage. I felt rather stupid in thinking that just because some ATV had made a nice track through the 3 foot grass the day before didn't mean that some truck had not gone through a year ago and left huge invisible ruts. Tall grass can hide a multitude of nasty things!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
On November 14 , 2015, my girlfriend and I were ascending the beautiful skyway bridge at about 1130 pm. We were going 65 mph on my fjr1300, it was a beautiful, cool night, but windy, which is why I was only going 65mph. Out of nowhere, we were rear ended by a drunk asshole who was going at least 120, probably more. He blew through us, and continued going until his car blew up from the crash. Somehow, and we still can not explain it, We only suffered road rash, and extreme bruising. Not one broken bone. I sold all of my bikes. I swore I would never ride again. But, I always missed my little TW. I sold it for 600 bucks just to get it out of my garage. I sold my low mileage Ulysses for next to nothing, because I was done.

That itch lasted almost a year and a half. I couldn't do it. I bought an 07 TW, and a DRZ400. I figure, I would get bikes that I would not want to go on the freeway with. All I can tell you, I love my slow, fat TW. She puts such a smile on my face every time.

For the record, I was wearing gear head to toe. I walked away pretty good, not sure how or why. My Girl didn't have boots, MC jeans, and had on a leather jacket and helmet. She suffered much more than I.

The point is, the TW brought me back to riding, with her calm, soothing demeanor.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
i did get 1/2 dozen stitches as a young teen on my ct90, a rut in the shadows. on my tdub, knock wood... my skin here and there, my pride and my camera.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts